What is Hip? Cassettes!

thebes

According to the evening news there were over 20 million cassette sales last year, that beats the 12million of so in vinyl sales pretty handily.

Driven by mostly hipsters, the analogue sound serves as a counterpoint to digital among a growing but hard core group.  A lot of small indie bands are using them as their primary medium of distribution.  From my own personal observation for  at least a decade now I've been seeing mostly college types pursuing the cassette offerings at Goodwill, while I'm digging through the vinyl stacks.

A welcome trend I think, so don't toss those old decks and boom boxes, buy some new belts and get back into the groove.

• Like 3

Certainly not the arthritis they found in my very hip hip. I would have said hep hip; but, Harry “The Hipster” Gibson would frown on that. He wrote in the song "It Ain't Hep" about the switch from hep to hip:

Hey you know there's a lot of talk going around about this hip and hep jive. Lots of people are going around saying "hip." Lots of squares are coming out with "hep." Well the hipster is here to inform you what the jive is all about.

The jive is hip, don't say hep
That's a slip of the lip, let me give you a tip
Don't you ever say hep it ain't hip, NO IT AIN'T
It ain't hip to be loud and wrong
Just because you're feeling strong
You try too hard to make a hit
And every time you do you tip your mitt
It ain't hip to blow your top
The only thing you say is mop, mop, mop
Keep cool fool, like a fish in the pool
That's the golden rule at the Hipster school
You find yourself talking too much
Then you know you're off the track
That's the stuff you got to watch
Everybody wants to get into the act
It ain't hip to think you're "in there"
Just because of the zooty suit you wear
You can laugh and shout but you better watch out
Cause you don't know what it's all about, man
Man you ain't hip if you don't get hip to this hip and hep jive
Now get it now, look out
Man get hip with the hipster, YEAH! Got to do it!
be hip not hep, coz hep is not hip

so just be hip and pray you don't slip

Edited by BigStewMan

Hard to say if it's a flash in the pan, but they've been saying that vinyl's simply a fad for years now, and I can think back at least 15 years and seeing young kids collecting cassettes. 

Now I wonder if we can get Tower of Power and that Gibson song on cassette.

Hard to say if it's a flash in the pan, but they've been saying that vinyl's simply a fad for years now, and I can think back at least 15 years and seeing young kids collecting cassettes. 

Now I wonder if we can get Tower of Power and that Gibson song on cassette.

Debbie Gibson's song " You light up my life" ? Thebes, the storm is over, put the handle of MD 20/20 DOWN!!!!

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 1

Things i never got rid of are any music format that i ever owned. Unless of course, it was crappie music or bands that had members with bowl cuts

So i still own my dads vinyl, plus the vinyl i have purchased, the cassettes mg dad gave along with the cassettes i purchased. Guns and Rose's appetite for destruction twice, cds i have purchased and Kiss alive II and my dads Marantz cassette player. I dont know where i am going with this, i am just bored

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was going through my garage about two months ago and ran across a box of my old cassettes.

Interest peaked, I stopped by my local thrift store and picked up an old Technics RS-TR355 for $28.

While reminiscing, I ran across an unmarked tape.  Popped it in, and it turned out it was a recording of my Grandfather's Mayoral radio pitch when he ran for office back in the 70's which I had no recollection of ever having.

That made it worth every penny of that $28 purchase, even if it never played another cassette again.

Things i never got rid of are any music format that i ever owned. Unless of course, it was crappie music or bands that had members with bowl cuts

So i still own my dads vinyl, plus the vinyl i have purchased, the cassettes mg dad gave along with the cassettes i purchased. Guns and Rose's appetite for destruction twice, cds i have purchased and Kiss alive II and my dads Marantz cassette player. I dont know where i am going with this, i am just bored

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My Dad has just told me he decided to pass down his 8-track deck and tapes to me.  Haven't had the chance to get over and pick it up, so not sure what goodies I'm in store for, but he also said I can pick up his '68 Garrard turn table that he purchased brand new in Germany when he was stationed over there.  I've been buggin' him for years to hand that over.

• Like 2

Revival, hah! I still have over 500 self recorded cassettes, after giving away several hundred. I always thought pre-recorded cassettes stunk. Real time recordings from vinyl or cd were far superior. As far as the degradation, my Maxells have held up remarkably well, was a big fan of XL-II's. Set the bias on my Nakamichi Dragon to those settings. Used to record radio broadcasts of live shows & trade bootlegs back in the days. Didn't trade too much with the Deadhead community as their tapes were always 4th or 5th generation recorded at the wrong speed with tons of hiss. I guess if you were high enough, it didn't matter.

One day I will get around to burning most of them to cd, one day.....now where is my Stones tape of Liver Than You'll Ever Be or Get Your Leeds Lungs Out.....

My piles of cassettes (TDK, Nakamichi, Denon)  that I recorded from vinyl certainly sounded better than pre-recorded tapes (some tapes were pretty good but expensive).  The best part is that means the majority of my records were only played a couple of times.  

Edited by muel
  • Like 1

I'm with you Muel, when I bought a record the first thing we did was record it onto a high quality chrome tape. A good deal of my vinyl has minimal use. More specifically the vinyl I bought after college.  The ones I dragged around at school, not so much.

So why haven't you guys sent them to me?  Thebes is not only deserving, but a helluva good fella, he will make sure they are never subjected to worn out needles.

I'm also willing to let you pay for shipping.