New hardware

John Warren

• Moderators

If you do so, make in 9 WPs, Christy.  Makes it SO much easier to put somebody who laughs at warning points under moderation for a while with just 1 more. 

Dave

That is my intention. There is zero tolerance for condescending, rude behavior. If you can't state your opinions clearly, without being rude and condescending don't post. This goes for any other threads on this forum.

I didn't get the Belle comment at first...  I was thinking about John's chart that looked sort of like a reverse bell curve though not really.  Then I figured he was using it as a smiley face regarding his impending trip.  

Anyway, if I may go back to crossover networks.  Even though I don't understand as much of the technical side as I would like I am still very interested in learning and watching intelligent conversations take place.   I know how frustrating it can be to not say what you are really thinking sometimes... go ahead and type it all out but then hit the backspace instead of clicking "Post."  Then, if you can, type it out again if you can be civil or not at all if you can't.

• Like 1

I've sent money to all of them (Bob, Dean, and Al) except for John.  I'd heard of him but didn't know that he was making crossovers to sell.  I'm very interested in the technical side but in the end I am MOST interested in the results!  

I did a comparison a couple of years ago that I've shared a couple of times.  It is not as complete as I would like but I tried to provide as clear of a picture as I could of my experience.  Find my crossover network comparison post here.

dtel’s wife wrote: This is uncalled for. Anymore after this will result in warning points. 

John Warren wrote: 1. The NRE-net has a very large reactance associated with the autotransformer, horn reflections, etc.  The reactance is highlighted by our little mountain climber (let’s call her Belle).

I wrote: Hey John, If you see Belle while mountain climbing, say hello for us!

I don’t think John’s “Belle” has anything to do with the late Belle Klipsch. If it did, then yea, it was uncalled for and I certainly would not have written what I did.

Lee

Against the Grain

Just to prevent a different view to the prevailing popular view. I don't mind crass, course, insulting posts, and I can scarcely see how this is such a big topic all the time. 

Assuming; 

Those present are adults

Those present are here by free will

Those present can choose what to read and not to read

Those present can post or not of their own free will

We live in a society that claims intellectually to believe in free speech

I would then posit that there is something to be learned by these nasty posts. At a bare minimum, you are getting a look deep inside the psychological life of the posters. You are getting a "personality parade". If you are going to give someone money for a product or service, you might want to know what kind of person you will be dealing with. What is the value of Moderators kettling and fencing posters into some perfect personality mode meeting some totally arbitrary guidelines of someone's version of civility or good taste? The goal of which is to make everyone appear the same. Same attitude, same respect of this or that arbitrary icon. How is that valuable? If behind some artificially masked politeness there exists a total a-hole, I'd rather know who the a-holes are than not. 

The singular argument I suppose is "this is Klipsch's web site and they can demand what they want." That has severe limits to logic. 99% of the content on the site is created by the users, and that's the best argument that this portion of the website is not really Klipsch's, but the posters, without whom, there is no forum. What people create, they lay claim to. No users, no forum. 

There's nothing you can say or do that won't offend someone. There are people willing and able to take offense at anything. Our whole society is "offended" by its very own existence. With so many moderators, someone is offended at all times. These perpetual threats of locking threads over someone's offense of mere linguistics or personality can only serve to deaden the creation. If there were no wrecks in NASCAR, the attendance would fall to approximately zero, because all the tension would be removed. It isn't that people WANT to see wrecks, it is that they want the possibility of wrecks. That creates danger, and that creates interest. 

These forums are not university classrooms with some fixed agenda. They are rather a slice of humanity gathered over the subject of HiFi. Do you want to come and see real people? Or, people squeezed into a cookie cutter so that no personality comes through? Which creates interest? Suppose you take these four gentlemen in this thread and tweeze out all the sarcasm, all the possibly offending lines, innuendo, direct insults and reduce it all to gray linguistics. We wouldn't then no much of anything about these guys. I LIKE the fact the The ALK is an obvious hothead, and The Deang is a concilliator, and the Arky is a snide sniper and the JW is a calm reasoner, and so on. What makes great drama and great literature worth reading? Great Characters! It's also what makes life interesting. You meet great characters. 

What's the harm? Again, we can all choose to read or not. Those who kept reading this little drama did it because they felt they could learn something about crossovers, and they enjoyed the character development. It can be argued, and often enough is, that forums are great time wasters. My thought is that more boring and predictable you FORCE IT to be, the more waste it will be. Forums are a novel in which you get to be a part. If you take all the posts and rumn them through a cleansor to remove personality, you will end up with zero posters. 

That's just an alternative view. I'm not suggesting anything or any process. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Free speech doesn't apply here, it is a bad analogy. Any one can create their own web site and be as condescending, arrogant or hateful to their heart's content.

When you go on a public forum, such as this one, it is per their rules.

Free speech is vital to a free society, it isn't vital to an internet audio forum.

I agree that there was something to be learned; some did, some didn't, and some never will.

I suspect they will be learning now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

"Content"? That came up recently on here. The TOS is clear that posting on here becomes the property of the host. There is no argument on that, if you choose to post here you agree to that. You can post, or not.

"Content", interesting choice of words there, and an interesting and familar sounding argument.

• Like 1

Free speech doesn't apply here, it is a bad analogy. Any one can create their own web site and be as condescending, arrogant or hateful to their heart's content.

When you go on a public forum, such as this one, it is per their rules.

Free speech is vital to a free society, it isn't vital to an internet audio forum.

I agree that there was something to be learned; some did, some didn't, and some never will.

I suspect they will be learning now.

I think you missed my point. 

Everyone, me included, understand that the owner of site can do as they wish. It's a given. I also did not argue that this was a free speech zone. I merely cited that our "inclination" in the USA is to embrace free speech as a value. You DO get that, I hope?

My point was to address what makes people enjoy or not enjoy forums, based on a set of assumptions. It's just an opinion, and that's why at the end I said it was NOT a suggestion. I wasn't asking anyone to change anything. I was speculating on the value of knowing what these actors were about. And, I was claiming that I found lots of value in seeing them act out their parts. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Klipsch can do whatever it wants. That's just boring boilerplate and had nothing to do with my post.