New hardware

John Warren

• Moderators

"I thought this stupidity was done with!

This is an example of somebody talking about things he clearly doen't understand! I thought I tought him better, I suppose not!"

You really need to go. This thing was back on track until you just popped back in.

That post would have been perfect witthout the first two paragraphs. It is unnecessary to your point. You might want to consider editing it before the mods see it, or worse, Chad.

Or not. I suspect you may say "it's the truth, why should I change it" and in that case, I think it is pretty clear what your agenda really is.

• Like 1

I am getting tired of this "just another way to do it" crap! Putting the transformer at the source end of the filter is just as much "another way" as the method Henry Ford used to start the engine on his model "T". It had a crank on the front. You would slowly turn the engine around with the crank until you felt the compression stroke begin. You would then yank the handle quickly to start the engine.  My father showed me how it was done on the old model "A" he had when I was a kid.  The engine would start every time. He also told me about his "Model T wrist" that was still hurting him from the day years before when the engine on his "T" kicked back and nearly broke it! Now days, we turn the key and an electric motor starts the engine for us. I suppose the electric starter is just another way to do it, just as good as the crank!  BUNK!  Putting the transformer at the wrong end is just an OUTMODED way to do it to a few people have remained invested in!  Then there is Ahoooga horns. Showld we keep using those. After all, it's just another way to make a big noise!

Quit listening to people who are invested in old outmoded ideas and keep promoting them to make a buck!

NOTE:  I have received a "warning" by the moderators...   I am out of here.  I DON'T NEED THIS FORM TO SEEL MY STUFF!  The blind can continue leanding the blind!

• Moderators

The warning points were issued for rude, condescending, abusive behavior. Warning points are not made public, but since you chose to announce you were issued points I felt the need to clarify our moderating team's position.

Rude, aggressive, condescending behavior will not be tolerated.

It is not our policy to warn members before issuing points, however in this case we went out of our way to let everyone posting in this thread know the consequences of the continued behavior.

Opinions are appreciated, rude behavior isn't.

Let's try this again. Carry on.

Edited by dtel's wife

Some girls are pretty until they open their mouths and show what's inside.

I'm tired of AL picking on Dean---

I would not do business with AL after reading his post--He doesn't have to be so nasty.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well I suggested you go back and delete the first two paragraphs. It is not the mods, it is you Al. The mods are not Klipsch employees. They are volunteers, some with more technical backgrounds than others. But they can spot arrogance and condescension when they see it.

Nothing ever changes, I hope the mods go back and delete every one of Al's posts, including the emoticons.

His agenda has not changed one iota from when he "resigned" in 2006 (he was never banned from this forum, he was warned in '06 and he left).

I'm just feel bad for the OP, a long time forum member comes in and posts an idea, and is perfectly willing to explain it, answer questions, He responded like a professional, like an adult. He didn't sink to their level, he took the high road.

That's called professionalism, and you don't have to have a degree to have it (although I guess he apparently has three).

Hopefully this thread will be cleaned up before John returns.

Travis

Edited by dwilawyer

• Moderators

John's plots are fine, there isn't anything "screwed up" about them. They're only screwed up if you don't understand them. It's like the answer to the math problem that doesn't look right because you don't understand the equation.

Below is the plot that Bob Crites posted earlier in the thread. On the first sheet, Paul Klipsch had said that "some critics deplore this impedance variation, but there are advantages: the high impedance demands less power from the amplifier in the range where TIM (transient intermodulation distortion) is worst."

Just like John's plots, PK's plots are easy to understand.

This form of distortion still exists, and is largely responsible for why most solid amplifiers don't always sound very good.

Again, take note of the fact that the higher impedance at the higher frequencies places less of a demand on the amplifier.

image.jpeg

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I mean that sincerely.

Travis

Well I suggested you go back and delete the first two paragraphs. It is not the mods, it is you Al. The mods are not Klipsch employees. They are volunteers, some with more technical backgrounds than others. But they can spot arrogance and condescension when they see it.

Nothing ever changes, I hope the mods go back and delete every one of Al's posts, including the emoticons.

His agenda has not changed one iota from when he "resigned" in 2006 (he was never banned from this forum, he was warned in '06 and he left).

I'm just feel bad for the OP, a long time forum member comes in and posts an idea, and is perfectly willing to explain it, answer questions, He responded like a professional, like an adult. He didn't sink to their level, he took the high road.

That's called professionalism, and you don't have to have a degree to have it (although I guess he apparently has three).

Hopefully this thread will be cleaned up before John returns.

Travis

Nah... let it stand in all its glory!

I'm sorry to see Al get so bent... he has always been professional and helpful to me.  Maybe he would be happier if he could think of some of us as just really liking AhOOOGa horns.  

• Like 1

I guess no one here grew up with the "Cranky Uncle Leonard?" You know, the guy who was pissed off at the world, and everyone in it was stupid, incompetent or lazy. A sort of Lewis Black with hives and hemorrhoids and a splitting headache to boot. The guy who spoke in two levels - YELLING and LOUDER YELLING! All you have to do is spend five minutes on The ALK's web site to see your cranky uncle. All the bright red highlighting and huge red NO!'s the first person interrogations, the circles and arrows and flow charts! C'mon, you don't know these people? It's a barking dog, with no bite. Some of his posts here had me in stitches. I don't know if The Deang or The JohnW were offended. I don't know them. But life is filled with these barking dogs and to get offended by them is pointless. Usually, you just bark back and at least a standoff is achieved. I'm reasonably sure "no horses were injured during the stunts" here. 

I doubt I could ever afford such an extravagance as an upscaled crossover in whatever Klipsch I end up with. I plan on paying about that much for the whole speaker. But, if I ever got bit that hard by the bug and just had to have a replacement crossover, this thread, has been so educational that I have not a nano-second of doubt as to whom would get my money for said upscale crossover. And if I don't buy one, the time spent reading this thread was at least humorous, educational, and fun. 

(No need to scold me, it's just my as usual minority opinion.)

• Moderators

I guess no one here grew up with the "Cranky Uncle Leonard?" You know, the guy who was pissed off at the world, and everyone in it was stupid, incompetent or lazy. A sort of Lewis Black with hives and hemorrhoids and a splitting headache to boot. The guy who spoke in two levels - YELLING and LOUDER YELLING! All you have to do is spend five minutes on The ALK's web site to see your cranky uncle. All the bright red highlighting and huge red NO!'s the first person interrogations, the circles and arrows and flow charts! C'mon, you don't know these people? It's a barking dog, with no bite. Some of his posts here had me in stitches. I don't know if The Deang or The JohnW were offended. I don't know them. But life is filled with these barking dogs and to get offended by them is pointless. Usually, you just bark back and at least a standoff is achieved. I'm reasonably sure "no horses were injured during the stunts" here.

I doubt I could ever afford such an extravagance as an upscaled crossover in whatever Klipsch I end up with. I plan on paying about that much for the whole speaker. But, if I ever got bit that hard by the bug and just had to have a replacement crossover, this thread, has been so educational that I have not a nano-second of doubt as to whom would get my money for said upscale crossover. And if I don't buy one, the time spent reading this thread was at least humorous, educational, and fun.

Diamonds Are Forever. He ends up dead in that movie.

We had Old Buckster, R.I.P., he fit that role pretty well, along with Maron, who I hope will return here and fill that role again soon. Neither of them were hawking any wares on here, and neither of them pissed on Klipsch.

There are a few resturants in the U.S. that are famous for having rude waiters, it is kind of an act. There was a place in Las Vegas that was famous for the rude owner.

My point is, it certainly has its place. A newsletter or blog writer, comedian, etc., shock jock radio, Imus/Howard Stern-a place where you control the parameters.

Here it isn't appropriate.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I find this bonehead thread very comical. A network is just one piece of the puzzle for the end result.....HOW A SPEAKER PERFORMS. Paul would have a field day with some of the boneheads on this thread.......

I suspect he wouldn't have engaged them directly, but rather used his intelligence and rapier wit to point out their foolishness. (You would know way better than me).

Case in point, his article about the amplifier-space heater combo.

• Like 1

• Moderators

There is a great video of Kevin interviewing Mr. Klipsch in his office with his friend videotaping, and Kevin asks him a question about something. PMK pauses and thinks for a moment and reaches for a binder and starts flipping through articles, obviously to come up with a precise answer. As PMK is digging Kevin proceeds to ask another question, not nearly as technical, I suspect he thought he would get a quick answer from PMK and his video wouldn't be filled with silence, PMK tells Kevin that he needs to approach one question at a time. He digs for a few more minutes, finds what he is looking for and answers Kevin's question.

Kevin starts to say something and PWK says somethink like "now to your other question" and he starts digging out a different reference, more silence, more digging, serious technical answer in laymans terms.

Kevin quit asking technical questions and asked if he could buy the company (he was punking PMK).

PMK punked him back and said "sure, you got ___ million dollars"?

Never arrogant, never condescending. Some people can pull off flashing a BS badge without coming off as either, others can't. Most people learn quickly whether they can, some never do.

• Like 2

Well, at least he didn't call me "stupid" directly.

No Al, you taught me that you build "diplexers". The function of being able to move around the taps without changing the impedance is simply a byproduct of the design. The high pass is swamped back to roughly 8-9 ohms to more closely match the impedance of the low pass. This creates what is more or less a "constant impedance". The swamping resistor nails the impedance down so you can attenuate without having to change the value of the primary capacitor. However, one of the downsides is that you now need a primary capacitor the size of a bus. This leaves you with only metalized types to choose from. I found you what I believe to be a good one (ClarityCap ESA Series). Now, I'm pretty sure I'm right about all of this, and I have no idea why you would want to misrepresent your own product.

It doesn't matter on which end of the network you put the autoformer on (no cranking necessary). One way works just as well as the other. At least with the Klipsch way, I'm not limited in my capacitor choices -- I can use the highest quality choices available.

Since everything except the ESNs are now "outmoded" and "obsolete", why do you keep selling them? Here's your pitch: "Here, buy this outmoded and obsolete model, and when you become more forward in your thinking and your wallet gets thick enough, come back and I'll sell you a real network."

Here's the deal plain and simple. John presented a competing product and you went ballistic. John has been a thorn in your side forever and you can't stand the thought of him having some success. Too late. Since John designed the network and played a significant role for Greg's Vittora, which received a Stereophile Class A rating.

The "Belle" thing was disgusting. Lee thinks we're all a bunch of idiots - for how many "Belle's" are there, and what are the chances that John would be thinking of any "Belle" but THE Belle.

• Moderators

Well in that thread, it arguably could be considered to be humorous entertaining. Howevwr, Al has a history here, a history of personally attacking Klipsch employees. A history of being told he is welcome here but he needs to lose the attitude. He chose to "resign" and proceed to get "banned" from other forums.

At some point I think we need to ask ourselves, at what point is enough?

One of the moderators has obviously "seen the light."

Edited by dwilawyer
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I want to remind everyone that in most cases moderators do not act alone. We work as a team. Almost all warnings are discussed amongst the moderating team prior to warning points being issued.

The points can only be issued by one moderator and not the team. Sometimes the responsibility of issuing points simply falls on whichever moderator happens to be online when the situation occurs.

If a member is continuously "inciting the masses" they are placed on the moderating teams "radar"! At that point we make decisions as a team on what action to take should the offenses continue. So, just because I may have issued points it doesn't mean the other moderators didn't "see the light"!