New home - new home theater time!

lightsolutions

Hey everyone. First time poster. I was hoping for some help in regards to speaker placement and I am still deciding on what extra back surrounds + atmos (in ceiling x4) to get.

I currently have:

KLIPSCH
X2 Rf-82ii
RC62ii
2x rs52ii
sw112

ONKYO
Tx sr 707 (7.2).

My partner and I have just purchased a house (moving in,doc in 2 weeks) so I am going to move the current setup excluding the surrounds into the rumpus room and order in the rf7ii and rc64ii (In cherry)Keep the Rs 52iis and maybe order a second set for the back surround? And I was thinking of ordering 4xcdt5800-c ii in ceiling speakers + the onkyo txsr3030 (11.2/7.2.4).

Cost wise I can only afford the LCR right now and will want to upgrade to the new amp/ceiling speakers/ back surrounds in a month or so. Then move onto a better sub and then the 4K tv upgrade at Christmas time. So any money I can save without lose of quality would be awesome :)

Does any one here run the rs52ii's with the Rf 7ii fronts? Should I be looking at the rs62ii's instead?

Has any one also had an experience with the Klipsch CDT5800ii's for use with atmos? Should I get the model down?

The issue I'm wondering is the room these are all going in has a large glass window where the LCR will be placed. Not sure how this is going to sound until I test it. I will attach photos for opinions.

new lounge room

Any assistance in speaker layout or different speakers to purchase are most welcome.

Thanks heaps.

Edited by lightsolutions

• Moderators

I started out with RF83 / RC64 with RS52. The RS52 are fantastic and have no problem with keeping up with the flagship Reference speakers (RF7, TF83, RF7ii). When I upgraded to the RS62, they had a bigger sound but not night and day difference. When I upgraded from RS62 to RS62ii, I heard zero difference, only cosmetic. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I started out with RF83 / RC64 with RS52. The RS52 are fantastic and have no problem with keeping up with the flagship Reference speakers (RF7, TF83, RF7ii). When I upgraded to the RS62, they had a bigger sound but not night and day difference. When I upgraded from RS62 to RS62ii, I heard zero difference, only cosmetic. Hope that helps.

Great thanks youthman. I'll buy a second set of rs52ii's. Thanks heaps

So not sure but from the picture you posted it looks like LCR goes against the glass wall but then tv off to the side? Is that right?

Sorry that diagram was just from our realestate. i have drawn up a better room diagram with rough speaker placement. The original picture was only showing the fire place & air conditioning unit on the wall.

Cheers

SET UP KLIPSCH  - NEW LOUNGE ROOM - version 1

Room dimensions: 4.2 metres x 5.9 metres (13.78 feet x 19.36 feet)

With one wall entirely glass windows, I'm curious as to where you would mount the side surround speakers.  Seems like a difficult layout to setup in the standard Dolby speaker arrangement. 

I have drawn up a rough diagram this morning with rough speaker placement. the glass window is at the end of the room so all surround speakers have proper walls for mounting and internal cabling.

Please see above for diagram

Cheers

I ordered the RF-7II'S & RC-64II today and still tempted to go for the rs62ii's if i can squeeze them into the budget among all my other gear. In your experience would the 7.1 setup not be matched correctly if i ran RS-62II'S as side surrounds and used rs 52ii's as rear surrounds? or should i stick with 4 of the same speakers as surrounds?

I ordered the RF-7II'S & RC-64II today and still tempted to go for the rs62ii's if i can squeeze them into the budget among all my other gear. In your experience would the 7.1 setup not be matched correctly if i ran RS-62II'S as side surrounds and used rs 52ii's as rear surrounds? or should i stick with 4 of the same speakers as surrounds?

where did you order them from? I hope you got a good deal

• Moderators
I ordered the RF-7II'S & RC-64II today and still tempted to go for the rs62ii's if i can squeeze them into the budget among all my other gear.

You won't regret buying the RS-62ii....they are indeed better speakers than the RS-52ii....it just wasn't a night and day difference for me.

In your experience would the 7.1 setup not be matched correctly if i ran RS-62II'S as side surrounds and used rs 52ii's as rear surrounds? or should i stick with 4 of the same speakers as surrounds?

That would work with no problem.  I agree, put the better speakers on the sides as there is more information playing through them than the Surround Back speakers.

Hey I live in Australia so we only have one main distributer and a few online stores. But I got a sweet deal when I asked for quote for them :)

Hey I live in Australia so we only have one main distributer and a few online stores. But I got a sweet deal when I asked for quote for them :)

I ordered the RF-7II'S & RC-64II today and still tempted to go for the rs62ii's if i can squeeze them into the budget among all my other gear.

You won't regret buying the RS-62ii....they are indeed better speakers than the RS-52ii....it just wasn't a night and day difference for me.

In your experience would the 7.1 setup not be matched correctly if i ran RS-62II'S as side surrounds and used rs 52ii's as rear surrounds? or should i stick with 4 of the same speakers as surrounds?

That would work with no problem.  I agree, put the better speakers on the sides as there is more information playing through them than the Surround Back speakers.

Excellent. Just wanted to check as I really don't think I can afford 4 Rs-62iis, so that will work out great. Thanks again

• 3 months later...
UPDATE:

It's been a busy few months with us moving into our own house. Please see a photo below of the my new LCR. I have also added 2x RS-62ii's as my side surrounds and kept my RS-52ii's for rear surround duty. I have 4x CDT-5800ii's for dolby atoms/ DTS X but still in the process of installing them.

RF-7ii's and RC-64ii

I am now on the hunt for Dual subwoofers.

My room size is 5.6m X 4.2m x 2.4m ceiling height. Roughly 1990 cubic feet.

I am leaning towards Dual SVS PB-2000's from the reviews i have read. 

Does anyone have a similar setup that would be able to tell me if these duals would give me enough bass to compliment the rest of my home theatre in this size of a room. Or should i be looking at something else. 

Price wise i can either go for Dual SVS PB-2000's or Dual Klipsch R-115SW's. In my area the price difference is only $100 AUD - Klipsch being the more expensive one.

Intended use is 100% home theatre.

Cheers Jonno
Edited by lightsolutions

Something to consider, I found that when putting in 4 CDT-5800s in the ceiling, the RS-52iis sides and RS-42iis rears started cancelling one another out directionally, causing a totally diffuse room. I actually improved the sound by downsizing my rear speakers to RB-41iis and can better hear separate sounds in Atmos and music. Don't smother your room with wide dispersion speakers if you're putting Atmos. Just what I've found. Indeed I will also go to RB-51iis on the sides if it improves Atmos and DTX:2 later.

Something to consider, I found that when putting in 4 CDT-5800s in the ceiling, the RS-52iis sides and RS-42iis rears started cancelling one another out directionally, causing a totally diffuse room. I actually improved the sound by downsizing my rear speakers to RB-41iis and can better hear separate sounds in Atmos and music. Don't smother your room with wide dispersion speakers if you're putting Atmos. Just what I've found. Indeed I will also go to RB-51iis on the sides if it improves Atmos and DTX:2 later.

Thanks for this Ben. I was worried about that with 52's as the rears. ill see how it sounds when i get it all set up and will have to purchase some book shelf speakers if it doesn't sound great. Out of interest what height do you have your surround speakers?

Cheers Jonno