Klipschorn Mods

Mancave Man

After years of following mod threads on this forum I finally decided on the mods for my 1989 Klipschorns. They are as follows:

From Dave: Elitrac-400 & ContracT horns. New side by side motorboard with black cloth.

From Al: B&C DCM-50 & DE120 compression drivers and ES400 & ES5800 extreme slope networks.

From Bob: CW1526C cast frame 15" woofer horn driver.

I'm very pleased with the results. The icing on the cake for me, was my wife commenting on how good they sounded.

158832.jpg

158834.jpg

158836.jpg

158837.jpg

158838.jpg

158841.jpg

96881.jpg

• Like 3

So, how does the combination sound and what are the differences from the stock? A review please. Definitely eye candy for Klipsch forum members. 

It's been a while since I've heard them stock. I've been running them with Al's Universals and Bob's CT-125;s for a couple of years. The sound quality improved with those mods but I like to crank it up periodically and the annoying squawker ear fatigue was still there. With the new mods, the soundstage imaging is very precise and clear and that doesn't change with volume increase. The ear fatigue is gone as well.

• Like 1

Great pictures, I need to add those to my site..

Enjoy, Dave

Thanks Dave. The craftsmanship and attention to detail in your work is very impressive.

:emotion-21: :emotion-21: on Dave's work. ALKs networks too.

Mancave Man, any comments on what changes the new woofer made?

Great pictures, I need to add those to my site..

Enjoy, Dave

Thanks Dave. The craftsmanship and attention to detail in your work is very impressive.

:emotion-21: :emotion-21: on Dave's work. ALKs networks too.

Mancave Man, any comments on what changes the new woofer made?

I agree, Dave & Al both do impressive work. The bass did improve but it is very subtle. I don't know how much is from the driver and how much from the ES-400 network.

After years of following mod threads on this forum I finally decided on the mods for my 1988 Klipschorns. They are as follows:

From Dave: Elitrac-400 & ContracT horns. New side by side motorboard with black cloth.

From Al: B&C DCM-50 & DE120 compression drivers and ES400 & ES5800 extreme slope networks.

I'm very pleased with the results. The icing on the cake for was my wife commenting on how good they sounded.

158832.jpg

158834.jpg

158836.jpg

158837.jpg

158838.jpg

158841.jpg

96881.jpg

What kind of amp and power driving these?

I always thought the bass came out of the sides of this speakers through the grill cloth from the folded horn.

My Bad---

It does. This is a picture of the woofer horn motorboard before I installed the new 15" driver. It fires through the slot and is divided vertically by the divider bar. Then it continues through the folded horn and exits through the side grilles as you mentioned. I read a review that said if the horn was straight, it would be 8' long.

158842.jpg

Edited by Mancave Man

After years of following mod threads on this forum I finally decided on the mods for my 1988 Klipschorns. They are as follows:

I'm very pleased with the results. The icing on the cake for was my wife commenting on how good they sounded.

158832.jpg

158834.jpg

158836.jpg

158837.jpg

158838.jpg

158841.jpg

96881.jpg

What kind of amp and power driving these?

The preamp is a Yamaha CX-1000 and the main amp is a Yamaha B-6.