Heat maximums for recievers

YK Thom

I have a Marantz SR 5008 HT reciever. Have had a new peice of AR furniture built to house it and other components. Using a heat gun I find that it seems to run between 105 and 120 f. I have a cooling fan unit on order which should be here anytime. How hot is too hot for this type of equipment?

Probably not but the cooler you keep it, the longer it will last.  I have 4 pro amps and a pre-pro that loves to make heat in an enclosed cabinet.  I put 2 exhaust fans on the top of the back panel and one on top of the pre-pro to exhaust heat.  Everything stays barely warm.  I have them plugged into a switched outlet on the pre-pro so they turn on when everything powers up.

• Like 3

Thermal limit for most amps in around 150-160 F.  The problem with that is, depending on surrounding electronics, or materials you could damage plywood, plastics and such.  Most amps auto shut-off before the limit, but never rely on that.  See manufacturer manual, they usually list thermals.

• Like 1

I have a Marantz SR 5008 HT reciever. Have had a new peice of AR furniture built to house it and other components. Using a heat gun I find that it seems to run between 105 and 120 f. I have a cooling fan unit on order which should be here anytime. How hot is too hot for this type of equipment?

When I first bought my Onkyo TX-SR705 back in 2007, when pushed, it would operate at pretty high temps at around 145 F.  Now I did not have much room(less than 2 inches) for the top to breath due to a low hanging shelf, so I bought a cooling fan and that did the trick.  Now, it never gets above around 120 F.

Get the cooling fan just to be safe.

Bill

• Like 1

I'll feel better once the fan (dual) arrive. Seems to be just over 100 with music and went up to 120 during a movie last night.

As part of the design the bottom of the unit has multiple slots cut, almost like a grill. It is the same on all the other shelves.

I'll feel better once the fan (dual) arrive. Seems to be just over 100 with music and went up to 120 during a movie last night.

I don't know AVR temps but I do know PC temps can bump up to 140F with no problem.  My gaming PC which I have running at standard clock speeds usually runs about 100 degrees.

Does your manual list standard operating temperatures?

Edited by wvu80

Guest thesloth

I use 105 degree celcius grade capacitors in all my applications, that's 221 degress fahrenheit operating temperature! Electronics get hot. A fan will help increase the life.

I don't know AVR temps but I do know PC temps can bump up to 140F with no problem.  My gaming PC which I have running at standard clock speeds usually runs about 100 degrees.

Does your manual list standard operating temperatures?

It does not seem to be indicated in the manual.

. Seems to be just over 100 with music and went up to 120 during a movie last night.

Where you in or out of your clothes?  Was the wife with you in such a condition?  Was the movie considered "soft" or "hard".  These factors have a lot of implications to the general temperature. 

But you know what?  Its worth it.

• Like 1

55°C (131°F) is the highest ambient temperature I would run consumer electronics without ventilation.

We test at work to 70°C (158°C), but with lots of fan cooling.

In general, life span gets cut in half every 10°C rise (above a certain point).

Capacitors may be rated at 105°C (for a few hours anyway, maybe as little as 1,000 hours), read the spec sheets to see how long for sure.

• 1 month later...

Older Krells used 200°C rated Motorola transistors, they run just fine at junction temperatures of 100°C.

Capacitorshave reduced life in amplifiers that run as hot as your Krell does.

Edited by djk
  • Like 1

Older Krells used 200°C rated Motorola transistors, they run just fine at junction temperatures of 100°C.

Capacitorshave reduced life in amplifiers that run as hot as your Krell does.

So should I be thinking of sending it in for a new cap job?  I think it still has a year of warranty left...