Might be hearing my Jub clone bins and K402's today!

juniper

Glad you're liking them.  Do I understand correctly, you have a passive AND an active?  If correct, which one are you using?  Have you listened to both?

Coytee never got the passives set up, I am using the DX38 for now. I really want to get them dialed in and get some room treatments up. I have 9 of those  2'X4' linked triangle foam panels to play with. If you want to borrow the passives let me know.

Pat,  Sounds like you have a winner there!  -- I'd like to hear them, after you put the finishing touches on....

The pesky hum you refer to is probably a ground loop. I know a bit about ground loops, as I solved all of mine.  The best thing you can do, as far as ground loops, is to plug in all of your components into 1 oulet. Not 1 circuit, but 1 outlet.  You can accomplish this by getting a large Power Strip and plugging all of your components into it, and then the power strip into an outlet. 

We are soon to leave for the Bahamas for 3 months, but when I get back, I hope you give me a listen.

• Like 1

I have a pesky hum....
I had a similar problem with my active crossover fed jub clone with horn tweeter setup. Dang thing is so efficient the noise floor of the miniDSP crossover and amp kept coming through. I eventually tried an L pad to some satisfaction.

Enjoy them.

• Like 1

Pat,  Sounds like you have a winner there!  -- I'd like to hear them, after you put the finishing touches on....

The pesky hum you refer to is probably a ground loop. I know a bit about ground loops, as I solved all of mine.  The best thing you can do, as far as ground loops, is to plug in all of your components into 1 oulet. Not 1 circuit, but 1 outlet.  You can accomplish this by getting a large Power Strip and plugging all of your components into it, and then the power strip into an outlet. 

We are soon to leave for the Bahamas for 3 months, but when I get back, I hope you give me a listen.

Thanks for the advice Kevin I will try it today! Make sure you post lots of fish pictures! I was just telling your Tarpon story the other day, what a fish! When you get back we can have a session!

;)

It's the next best thing to a single point ground on all electronics boxes and connections. 

I believe all the fuss with XLR out to RCA-in cables between components are solved in similar manner.  The only device that I couldn't plug into the same output is the flat screen TV: I used an optical S/PDIF cable (i.e., TOSLINK) to break that ground loop from the output TV audio to the pre/pro.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Glad your liking them Juniper, the 402's are something special, and the Jube bass bins.

We don't need no stinkin veneer, :) well not right off anyway, glad you finely got to hear them, now to fine tune.  

Glad your liking them Juniper, the 402's are something special, and the Jube bass bins.

We don't need no stinkin veneer, :) well not right off anyway, glad you finely got to hear them, now to fine tune.  

Dtel, I agree!!! You could paint the Warthogs red, and I still might keep them in the house.... they are that GOOD!!!  Looking for some very straight grained veneer with a vertical pattern,  then I will stain the fronts black.... We just bought a house and I want to do it in a minimalist fashion.... Integrating the warthogs might be a challenge, but definitely a worthy pursuit..... These things are crazy...... Cant wait to A/B the pioneer p51's, the correct Klipsch drivers, and the Altec 414's or the GPA 414's.... then the Tads.... 

• Moderators

I had plans to make some nice oak strips to go around the 402's and connect using the holes on the flange part. I was going to stretch some black cloth on the backside of the strips to form a cover for the horn. I also had plans for small frames for the 4 single MWM bass bins to give them cloth frames with Oak trim to match the bins.

The wife said I could if i wanted but she liked it all open so you can see the horn and inside the bass bins, so that's how it stayed. I may make the Oak trim to go around the black 402 horn front edge just for decoration ans still leave it open, just to look a little better ?

These are the best sounding speakers we have ever had by far, people look at them and say wow you must love it loud ? This confuses me because we don't listen loud 99% of the time, to me large speakers sound large, volume has nothing to do with it. They just sound so open and big and natural there worth the size. I do sometimes compare to other klipsch we have here, and it's not a fair comparison, there just so open sounding. 

As far as Tads go I did hear them in the 402 horn and there was a marked improvement over the K69, but we were not going to spend that much to get them, no way, to many other projects around here to spend that kind of money. But they do sound good.  

Edited by dtel

I had plans to make some nice oak strips to go around the 402's and connect using the holes on the flange part. I was going to stretch some black cloth on the backside of the strips to form a cover for the horn. I also had plans for small frames for the 4 single MWM bass bins to give them cloth frames with Oak trim to match the bins.

The wife said I could if i wanted but she liked it all open so you can see the horn and inside the bass bins, so that's how it stayed. I may make the Oak trim to go around the black 402 horn front edge just for decoration ans still leave it open, just to look a little better ?

These are the best sounding speakers we have ever had by far, people look at them and say wow you must love it loud ? This confuses me because we don't listen loud 99% of the time, to me large speakers sound large, volume has nothing to do with it. They just sound so open and big and natural there worth the size. I do sometimes compare to other klipsch we have here, and it's not a fair comparison, there just so open sounding. 

As far as Tads go I did hear them in the 402 horn and there was a marked improvement over the K69, but we were not going to spend that much to get them, no way, to many other projects around here to spend that kind of money. But they do sound good.  

Your idea on covering the holes would look cool..... I get the idea that people confuse big for db's... With these speakers you can do whatever you want with them, and they are still "opened up" some speakers need more volume to find their pace to energize a space due to abnormalities with rooms acoustics. This is an amazing design....

Kevin you were RIGHT!!! Plugged everything in the same outlet and its GONE....... Thanks for the advice!!!

Glad I could help.... I hate Hummmm ! --- BTW, what is a "Warthog" , as far as audio goes?

Thanks again Kevin! I think the late great Maron coined the name, I don't know if it has to do with the looks or the frequency response? Maybe someone can chime in and tell us the history? warts in the response or if they look like warthogs.... these are serious speakers!