Texas Beef Brisket

jimjimbo

6:45am in the smoker  (Geez, it's still freakin' dark....why aren't I sleeping in?....)

attachicon.gifsmokera.jpg

Remember to check that the brisket remains moist as you get further in the cooking process. Some aluminum foil and a mix of mostly apple juice and water can help if you smoker does not allow you to put in a pan of water.

Have fun!!  :)

Edited by Wolfbane

Did some home seasoned cajun catfish filets, pork tenderloins, and adouille sausage in mine yesterday.  Oak, hickory and applewood.  Partially smoked a couple of london broils to carve up for chili.  Misted the tenderloins with fresh pressed apple cider every hour.  Just rubbed down with Denny Mikes Sublime Swine seasoning.

• Like 1

^^^^ Pretty sure I take a bite of everything listed above. Except I'd leave the cat to the fish.^^^^  B)

Thanksgiving here tomorrow, thinking of cold smoking a ham for a couple of hours today and finishing it in the oven, or hot smoker, without the wood, tomorrow. Low and slow. :)

Edited by Wolfbane

You've got to look at it this way:

'Good food takes time to prepare' - written on the menu at the Steakhouse I worked at Mon-Sat evenings parking cars in the late 1970's.  :)

... and not this way: 'Flush twice it's a long way to the kitchen' - written on the wall in the staff (men's) bathroom. Same restaurant, same time.  ;)

You'll be fine. My 2nd smoked brisket turned out great!

Out of respect to Jim’s thread, I deleted this post so you folks won’t respond to it and send it spiraling out of control. (but it was a good one).   ;)

Guess it doesn’t matter since Jim quoted me.  Hopefully you foodies will forgive my momentary lapse of reason.

Edited by BigStewMan

those that have served in the sea-going service may remember this one...

Question:  “how was chow?"

Answer:     “It’ll make a turd."

Wasn't quite looking for that direction with this thread....but....since I was in the "sea-going" service myself....I can relate.

those that have served in the sea-going service may remember this one...

Question:  “how was chow?"

Answer:     “It’ll make a turd."

Wasn't quite looking for that direction with this thread....but....since I was in the "sea-going" service myself....I can relate.

my apologies…in all honestly, after i posted that i thought to myself that probably wasn’t a good post in a food thread.

I did, and after 13.5 hours on the heat, plus about an hour of rest time, finally got to slice and sample last night.  It turned out very, very well.  All told, with smoker prep, etc, etc, this entire process took about 17 hours.  Not something you can do overnight, unfortunately, (at least with my charcoal fired drum), as the temps have to be monitored pretty closely, water pan refilled, etc.  But, it was all worth it.  Delivered some to my neighbors and son in law who are big fans of my bbq/smoking/grilling dishes, and always reap the benefits of my cooks and experiments.....I honestly didn't even eat very much last night after all was said and done, as I was fairly exhausted from doing this, plus everything else I tried to fit in on a lovely Sunday.  Couple of photos.  Thanks to everyone for recipes, suggestions, encouragement, turd jokes and the usual banter.

post-12530-0-85720000-1444657450_thumb.j

post-12530-0-29920000-1444657477_thumb.j

• Like 2

I did, and after 13.5 hours on the heat, plus about an hour of rest time, finally got to slice and sample last night.  It turned out very, very well.  All told, with smoker prep, etc, etc, this entire process took about 17 hours.  Not something you can do overnight, unfortunately, (at least with my charcoal fired drum), as the temps have to be monitored pretty closely, water pan refilled, etc.  But, it was all worth it.  Delivered some to my neighbors and son in law who are big fans of my bbq/smoking/grilling dishes, and always reap the benefits of my cooks and experiments.....I honestly didn't even eat very much last night after all was said and done, as I was fairly exhausted from doing this, plus everything else I tried to fit in on a lovely Sunday.  Couple of photos.  Thanks to everyone for recipes, suggestions, encouragement, turd jokes and the usual banter.

attachicon.gifbrisket2 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifbrisket1 (Large).jpg

Nice looking knife too. German made?

attachicon.gifbrisket2 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifbrisket1 (Large).jpg

Nice looking knife too. German made?

Yes, it's a Wusthof Classic.  I have dozens of knives, some of which I inherited, some picked up here and there.  I have owned and tried just about every high end make, and have found that the Wusthof consistently holds the best edge, and is easiest to maintain.

• Like 1

Brisket looks darn good. Wish I read this when it started. I'm cooking in a BBQ cook off this weekend. Small town and they cut the entries off after 120 teams and they have a waiting list to enter. Top price is for the brisket competition. I have 3 pits and the largest one will smoke about 45 briskets (12-16lbs each) at once. we put our briskets on late Friday night to be judged by 3:00 Saturday. After that we give it out for everybody to eat. Competition is brisket, ribs, fajitas, chicken.