Stereo Receiver Bass Management and Crossovers?

SuBXeRo

I am trying to wrap my head around this.  It seems like all stereo receivers do not have any kind of bass management/crossover settings aside from the base knob which messes with the EQ but most don't give you a base point of how it changes the bass settings.

Are there any cheap external crossovers for something like this or is it just easier to buy a filter to do it?  You would think that they would allow you to digitally change the crossover like in multichannel avr's but they don't.

I am looking for a stereo setup for a friend of mine for her tv and just trying to keep options open.  I saw a nice pair of WF-34's for sale but giving them full range signal is always terrible and they sound like garbage unless its crossed properly.

also note, this is a sub-less setup

Any help would be great!

Edited by SuBXeRo

I am trying to wrap my head around this.  It seems like all stereo receivers do not have any kind of bass management/crossover settings

You could always use the crossover/low/high pass filter in the sub.

Are there any cheap external crossovers for something like this or is it just easier to buy a filter to do it?

Yes, a Paradigm X-30 is a wonderful little piece of gear which can be found for around $75.00 to $125.00 used.  I have owned three of them and they are great.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=X-30&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xparadigm+X-30.TRS0&_nkw=paradigm+X-30&_sacat=0

I am currently using the onboard low pass filter in my RSW-10d with my Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp and the results are superb.

Bill 

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

To elaborate on what Bill first mentioned....

The give away being an extra set of speaker level binding posts and/or pair of RCA jacks labeled "out" or "thru". Signal present at these termials will be highpassed, typically at 80Hz.

It's a nice feature to look for. Adds some versatility.

post-40059-0-95020000-1444350738_thumb.j

Also...tone control center frequencies are usually listed in the technical specs of owners manuals....for the most part.  I've always assumed 1 to 1/2 octave, but it can be measured with test tones and a multimeter if need be.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Any help would be great!

Well you don't use a crossover if you don't use some type of sub / mid-high frequency speakers (frequencies are forced to the required speakers).  It is not a crossover point, just a point at which the filtering kicks in to modify the frequency response.

What you are looking for is an Equalizer or a integrated amp / receiver that has multiple bass turn overs (frequencies where you can modify the response) for the bass control knobs.  These are rare now-a-days.  Basically what I had on my 1976 Yamaha CA-800 http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/ca-800-sm.pdf

The other possibility is that you can use a surround receiver and use the built in EQ that most have now.  A digital EQ though those are usually at particular defined points also, but there are multiples.

Lastly, there are a few EQ units in the Garage Sale section.  Go look there otherwise grab a cheap surround receiver and use it as a stereo receiver that has a built in EQ.

No law against that otherwise I'd be in Jail with a bunch of other folks around here  :)  You would also have the flexibility of growing the system.

A Mini DSP would allow you to shape the bass response of the speaker and has multiple filters.  You can set hpf, lpf, set level for EQ, ect.

Nice units but likely expensive for the use in this case.  Tons of other options actually depending on the $$ you want to throw at it but as stated originally, not much in a simple stereo receiver.

Need to look at a surround receiver with management.

Nice units but likely expensive for the use in this case.

They are around $125-150 for 2 channel Mini DSP.  There are some advantages with a parametric EQ.

So you can use say a 2x4 ADC/DAC (provided you don't mind converting everything to and from 48khz) and using that as the equalizer.  Is that correct?  An add on component just as inexpensive EQs are though significantly more flexible.

Okay, reread your post and I am confused.  If no subwoofer, no bass management needed.

Find an integrated amplifier or stereo that has quality tone controls or experiment better with placement.  

I saw a nice pair of WF-34's for sale but giving them full range signal is always terrible and they sound like garbage unless its crossed properly.

I have heard nothing but good things about the WF-34's and their stereo music abilities.

Bill 

Edited by willland

I am trying to wrap my head around this.  It seems like all stereo receivers do not have any kind of bass management/crossover settings aside from the base knob which messes with the EQ but most don't give you a base point of how it changes the bass settings.

Are there any cheap external crossovers for something like this or is it just easier to buy a filter to do it?  You would think that they would allow you to digitally change the crossover like in multichannel avr's but they don't.

I am looking for a stereo setup for a friend of mine for her tv and just trying to keep options open.  I saw a nice pair of WF-34's for sale but giving them full range signal is always terrible and they sound like garbage unless its crossed properly.

Any help would be great!

Major misconceptions here.

What speakers are you going to use?  You mention speakers that can't do bass then say you aren't using a subwoofer.  What are you going to use?

Discussion about bass management but no subwoofer.

No subwoofer equals no real bass management as it pertains to using a crossover.between two sets of speakers, one doing bass only the other doing whatever you want.

Only EQ or tone controls to boost or lower a particular area of your bass or treble will work with no subwoofer.  You can do the tone controls digital or analog but it amounts to the same.