Bitten By The Vinyl (Records) Bug

lovedrummin

Hi music lovers. I've been getting back in my record album collection, which these days seem to be referred to as "vinyl." I have 1,100+ albums and I'm having a ball. I recently purchased an Audio-Technica LP120 USB turntable and I am converting a few of my albums. For pure listening enjoyment I've been connecting the LP120 to my SONY avr and listening to all of my oldies but goodies through my Klipsch Reference RB-5IIs. They're actually the mains in my surround system. Purchased them in 2000 and they still sound great.

Now I'm thinking about searching for a vintage amp or receiver. I've read good things about the Marantz 1060 integrated amp which I believe is rated at 30w/ch. I also hear good things about some of the old Pioneer equipment. I've forgotten how many watts it takes to power the old RB-5IIs. The listening room is about 20'x20' with w/w carpet. I'm not looking to blow anyone out of the room, but I would like to be able to crank up some of the old classic rock a bit. I know the RB-5IIs are capable. Any suggestions on what I should set my sights on.

Edited by lovedrummin
  • Like 1

Having owned some of the desirable 70's Marantz and Pioneer receivers, I suggest you take a look at the Harman Kardon Hk430/730 (also 630/930) Twin Power series receivers. In my experience, they can be had for much cheaper and sound better.  I've heard some say that the 430 in the preferred model but I had a 430 and a 730 and the 730 sounded a bit better than the 430 on a pair of Cornwalls. I would bet that the difference amounted to the condition of the unit. Both had been cleaned with de-oxit but untouched otherwise.

Edited by ACM
  • Like 1

Jorjen, I saw that tour also at The Baltimore Civic Center. Awesome show, especially with the quad sound system. I saw Carl Palmer 3 times with ELP and once with Asia. I'm definitely a fan.

ACM, I'll have to check out the Harman Kardons you mentioned. I had an HK reciver that I purchased back in 1980. Wish I still had that dual powered baby. Unfortunately it went to one of my now ex-in-laws when I bought an AVR for the surround sound. that was a very nice receiver. Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah...., I was bitten by the analog bug earlier this spring...... Bought the same turntable I had 30 years ago. It is fun listening to all the old vinyl. Technology has gone far since the analog days...... But just because it's newer doesn't make it better

Edited by oldred
  • Like 2

A properly performing Marantz 1060 is impressive with a very good phono section. The mid range adjustment is a great option with Klipsch RB series. I bought off a member here (Thanks again Jimjimbo!) and looks and sounds fantastic in bedroom connected to RB-81's

post-47930-0-68220000-1444517299_thumb.j

Somewhat of a side note...

As many know, Barnes and Noble now has a pretty significant vinyl section. I was in my local B&N perusing the vinyl racks and I have to say there were a lot of YS'ers there doing the same thing. In speaking with the checkout woman she said that she has been amazed at the number of YS'ers that shop there on a regular basis. Pretty Cool.

Another side note. I am happy that most vinyls include a digital download some with high res. I think that is a nice touch.

Josh

• Like 1

A properly performing Marantz 1060 is impressive with a very good phono section. The mid range adjustment is a great option with Klipsch RB series. I bought off a member here (Thanks again Jimjimbo!) and looks and sounds fantastic in bedroom connected to RB-81's

Looks like an early MacIntosh clone? Looks like my friend's Mac integrated amplifier...

Edited by AllenTacey