Suggestions...SVS PB/PC2000 or Klipsch R-115SW

stygz

I am looking for something that is going to fill a 2900 cuft room better than my PB1000. I am torn between the PB2000, PC2000, and Klisch R-115SW. I should mention my room is listed at 2900 cuft but that does not include the open concept. I really like the  SVS trade in program. It would cost me about $380 to upgrade but I can get the Klipsch for about $125 less. I really dont have the ability to go with duals though unless I went with smaller SVS SB2000's.

....I really dont have the ability to go with duals though unless I went with smaller SVS SB2000's.

With my room size, I can go with sealed options & for years I had dual (unmatched) 12" subs in place. When it came time for upgrade considerations, output was not an issue... I was looking for:

1) Matching subs

2) Subs that dug a bit deeper

I have to say (at least in my space), once you go dual's... I have no interest in a single sub setup. Right now, I actually have dual SB-2000's & they are nice. But in my space they only clicked one of my boxes:  Matching Subs. Everything else was a lateral move, & in my instance not enough difference for a true "upgrade" (especially for the $$$ spent).  So, I'm actually sending mine back (after only 30 days). But, if I was starting fresh, or needed to replace a dead or defective sub... the SB-2000 would be an excellent choice.

Stygz, it sounds like the space may be a little larger than 2900 counting other open space.  I is hard to recommend anything without a FR to see what is going on in the room.  I would say try matching 15's vented subs.  I know in my space a simple adjustment of the Q, bandwidth at 20 Hz can cost me 6 or 7 db's on the extension.  I would need 2 or 3 more subs to overcome that with out the EQ adjustment.

Edited by derrickdj1

What area seems to be lacking? Extension or output?

Output. It seems that under lower volumes the PB1000 seems to be fine but when I turn up the volume the PB1000 does not keep up with the RF62's. However,  I think the PB1000 seems to hit low enough for me.

Just speaking in general terms, with your room size if your looking for more output, you're best suited for 15" options rather than 12". Also given the budget & room size... ported or vented options would the route to consider. You might have to make the upgrade in stages... because based on your room, it might be hard to be happy with  just one sub. 

My space is smaller 1600cu feet & I have dual 15" on the way. You might have to eventually go with dual (or maybe even 3) 15's.

Yes, it seems there is difficulty with finding SVS specs such as those. Probably right about the 15". I could actually buy 2 R-115SW for the price of a single PB12 plus.

Nismo- looking at your set up it seems I pretty much have a baby version of your stuff

• Like 1

Yes, it seems there is difficulty with finding SVS specs such as those. Probably right about the 15". I could actually buy 2 R-115SW for the price of a single PB12 plus.

Nismo- looking at your set up it seems I pretty much have a baby version of your stuff

Haa, your're right! But your space is also larger than mine, which would benefit from a 15".... or (if budget allows) a pair of 15's. Don't get me wrong, the SB-2000's were great, just didn't qualify as a significant "upgrade" for my needs (my existing subs were in perfectly working condition). 

Earlier, I did bring home the substantial PSA XS30se with (front & rear) dual 15" drivers. I experienced a few technical issues with it & ultimately had to return it.  Placement was also tricky in my space with dual drivers, & I only had (1) XS30se in place, so that was a lot of output & extension coming from one side of the room & made the room unbalanced. But when it was working well... (despite making the room unbalance) it was impressive with both extension & output. 

The perfect solution for me is that there is a 15" single driver version of the (dual driver) XS30se.... the XS15se. That way I can have (2) XS15's in my room, making it balanced & even. Plus (at 18 x 17 x 19.5 tall), the XS15 has a much smaller footprint than the larger XS30 (18 x 23.5 x 22.5), making placement even easier.

For quite some time the XS15 was out of production, but PSA is bringing them back for a small production run, they will be ready in a week or two. If you can swing it, consider the XS15se from PSA. But, since production run is limited, if you want dual subs (2)... get them both now, because you might not be able to get another one later down the road. 

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/xs15se?variant=3425544068

Note: The reason I switched gears & brought up the possibility of dual XS15se (from PSA)... is that you also mentioned you could possibly swing dual Klipsch R-115SW's. Dual XS15's are only $60 more than dual R-115SW.

And, dual XS15se, have a smaller footprint than the R-115SW  (& has more output 550w continuous with PSA vs 400w continuous with Klipsch).

Comparison_Mini_Chart_XS15se_v7.png?3777

Edited by Nismo

Dual XS15's are only $60 more than dual R-115SW.

Man that is $1,600. Anybody wanting to drop that kind of coin needs to be looking at DIY. You could get four 18's, an iNuke 6000, and have over $500 left over for your wood and terminals which is way more than enough.

Not sure where you get $1600.

Dual R-115SW: $1440

Dual PSA XS15se: $1499

Plus they both include shipping & 30 day trial... with free return shipping if need. $1,000 - $1,500 is pretty standard for subs in that category. I'll leave the R&D to the experts. Same for the research, learning curve, required tools & equipment for a DIY project.

Those in room extension numbers are meaningless.  If there is not enough spl behind the extension-you get nil!  I guess it is just marketing without taking into account room size, room location, ect.

Just a generic chart for comparison. Every room is different with any speaker. I've demo'd the big brother (dual driver) XS30se & the extension is superior to that of the SVS SB-2000, no question. The (single driver version) the XS15se should also best the SB-2000. In a few weeks I'll know.