Suggestions...SVS PB/PC2000 or Klipsch R-115SW

stygz

The Sono tube sub is a nice design and is very cost effective for production.  They are lighter than other types of subs and can be moved easy.  Don't get to big of one, the wife will not like the big cylinder,  garbage can, lol.  My wife kicked me out of the family room due to ulgy big black boxes, he, he.  All jokes aside, I loved the one I had and the deep bass was great. 

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

The PC-2000 design that stygz is getting, used to have a plate underneath.... while the current design does not. Very similar to the (cabinet/box) downward-firing subs I have incoming. Their original design also had the plate, but the current version does not. It now only has extended feet.  I was informed the plate offered no performance benefit. But it did add to production & shipping costs... so it was eliminated. No worries over which approach is better/worse. Good to know straight from the source. These cylinder subs pack a lot of volume with a small footprint. Now I'm curious to hear one myself. stygnz should be getting his soon.

Edited by Nismo

Scrappy has one of those cylinder subs sitting on top of a suspended floor.  It's ridiculous, the entire floor moves up and down, feels like an earthquake, very strange feeling like the floor is literally going to collapse.  My i-beams would never do that.  

I have a question about Audyssy set up. In the past I have run the set up with the Sub volume at 12 o'clock. My Audyssey results would set the level to around -8.5db. Is there a range or number I should shoot for? I read something regarding lowering the sub volume to around 10 o'clock to get a lower -6.0 db area. This in turn would allow more headroom by leaving the user the ability to bump the sub volume on the receiver? Can someone explain....if this makes any sense.  

The reason a lot of people like Auddysee trims -5 to -8 is to insure enough input voltage to run the subs.  They suggest that it will help the amp not go into clipping.  The is no increase in headroom.  A sub has a max spl that stays the same due to driver parameters, box size and design.

The reason a lot of people like Auddysee trims -5 to -8 is to insure enough input voltage to run the subs.  They suggest that it will help the amp not go into clipping.  The is no increase in headroom.  A sub has a max spl that stays the same due to driver parameters, box size and design.

I don't understand why it does this, especially with pro amps.  If you follow its directions you'll often be cranking your gain up 2/3 of the way just go kill the sub output 8-12 db.  Makes no sense to me, especially since the higher the gain, the more noise floor you'll have.  Seems like it would be better to boost output from the receiver then kill the gain to reduce hissing and whatnot.  

• Like 1

Uping the sub amp gain reduces the amount of input voltage needed from the avr.  We have all heard about some people not getting enough sub spl running multiple subs and need an Art Clean Box to up the input voltage.  A lot of avr's are OK running 2-4 subs but run out of juice with more subs.  I have my .1 split like a river with it feed 8 subs and the shakers and input voltage has never been a problem with the Pioneer Elite.  This is a beefy avr and you will never ask, where's the meat, lol.

Uping the sub amp gain reduces the amount of input voltage needed from the avr.  We have all heard about some people not getting enough sub spl running multiple subs and need an Art Clean Box to up the input voltage.

I figured as much on the iNuke, but I'm having to do this even with a Crown XLS set on native 0.7 volts for the input sensitivity though.  

Delivered and set up.

Here is the results from Audyssey:

FL -7.0

FR -7.0

SW -10

SL -5.0

SR -5.5

I have the SW set at 12 o'clock. i assume when Audyssey goes through set up any preferences such as +10db for blue ray are meaningless? Audyssey set my main speakers to large, center small, surrounds small. Center XO 40, surrounds 60hz. I changed all speakers to small with XO to 60hz. The SW port is firing in the corner about 12'' away.

My initial impression of the PC is great. It actually blends in fairly well for something this size. I have not listened to music yet but the short demo of Batman Begins on Netflix is very favorable. Much more impact than the PB1000.

• 1 year later...
On 14/10/2558 at 1:16 AM, Nismo said:

Just speaking in general terms, with your room size if your looking for more output, you're best suited for 15" options rather than 12". Also given the budget & room size... ported or vented options would the route to consider. You might have to make the upgrade in stages... because based on your room, it might be hard to be happy with  just one sub. 

My space is smaller 1600cu feet & I have dual 15" on the way. You might have to eventually go with dual (or maybe even 3) 15's.

Nismo   Are you using  dual r 115 SW?  Is it good ?

On 10/21/2015 at 4:05 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I don't understand why it does this, especially with pro amps.  If you follow its directions you'll often be cranking your gain up 2/3 of the way just go kill the sub output 8-12 db.  Makes no sense to me, especially since the higher the gain, the more noise floor you'll have.  Seems like it would be better to boost output from the receiver then kill the gain to reduce hissing and whatnot.  

i did exactly this.  extremely high sensitivity full range speakers causes noise when preout to inuke.  i set the gain with the knobs then lowered it about 8db in the dsp.  then the avr upped the signal and full calibration with no noise.  still have a few db to spare.  ☺