Jamboree build thread

Arash

Contacted Al about the networks. His reply was that he does not have a suitable network for the Jamboree.

Since a crossover always is designed for a specific speaker/ set of drivers i can only agree....

Maybe i still try the universal or ap12.

Thats a bummer, maybe I miss understood him as I thought he told me the ap12 was pretty universal.   I guess for the price it couldn't hurt to try.

Contacted Al about the networks. His reply was that he does not have a suitable network for the Jamboree.

Since a crossover always is designed for a specific speaker/ set of drivers i can only agree....

Thats a bummer, maybe I miss understood him as I thought he told me the ap12 was pretty universal. I guess for the price it couldn't hurt to try.
I agree. Even since a ap12 is used for a wide range of speakers. From klipschorn to la scala... so why not try a jamboree.

• 1 month later...

Well, i would like to join you in this quest....

I got the original plans also, is it really that simple we can build half the cabinets?

Waf is higher here for a "smaller" version.

Edited by Zoef

is it really so simple we can build half the cabinets?

I believe ClaudeJ1, once told me he molded it and it turned out nice. I had all ready had the top and bottom cut for my second one. So due to only needing half the height of the original one, I was able to cut all the major panels out of one sheet. I am thinking, if this turns out, one could build a pair of half size Jamborees with three sheets of wood.

At first I just divided the total height. Then I realized that the brace in the middle needed to be subtracted from the internal height. So 37.5 , minus .75, divided by 2 give you 18.375. So I had Lowes cut the panel down for me to make it easier to fit in my Jeep. Doing this I was able to get 5 (roughly) equal pieces around 19". Then I was able to handle them on my table saw and rip them down to the 18.375. I only needed to do four panels this way. So I have an extra panel, that I will use for the motor board and braces. I'm off to a good start, here are some pics.

877e10d1d6cff7aef4b7178e7909c5b0.jpg

2ad7d0e1c7f180dc984f7573e8cdf53d.jpg

6593af0bbfe5c66ff5e8c7f7b3e6e9d5.jpg

6fb96a579eb90c553249d8f6244f633f.jpg

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

Couple more for now. I have learned i dont like mdf and will not be using it again. Even though i pre-drilled holes, i still had splitting. I will try a smaller screw and if that doesn't help i will go with the Kreg Jig.

d4da9a4deea439cfcbf2ff87e225ee7f.jpg

At this point my phone died so pictures stopped.

But one this morning for you.

6e947c1427d74d20c47181d74ceff5a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A little update.

I was able to get the pieces c and b glued on.

7d104149867ef4e626bd2136f88ea84c.jpg

Also got the carriage bolts installed, you may noticed i used a little epoxy for the bokts and loctite on the nuts. That way no worries of bolts comming loose.

6796b5456049f6bd7c9781fcd0dcd8b4.jpg

Last i cut the what i consider odd angles. Perfect fit.

a401cd185b7491891029c3c060a6ab87.jpg

Thats it for today, as i have other things to do. Over the week i will start cutting the pieces for the throat and getting them installed.

• Like 2

Lookin' good.  Keep the photos coming.

Now, when you and Arash are done, should we gather at your place or his for the audition?  I say we talk Arash into experiencing Nebraska.  I hear Iran is quite hot this time of time.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

Lookin' good. Keep the photos coming.

Now, when you and Arash are done, should we gather at your place or his for the audition? I say we talk Arash into experiencing Nebraska. I hear Iran is quite hot this time of time.

Absolutely, I am down with that.

All this fun wood working has got me curious? Depending how well my wood working skills have come from the projects, i may attempt a tractrix horn.

I could always use a lesson from someone like Arash.

• Like 1

Not much to report, i have only been spending a couple hours a night. What is killing me. Is if i had just a half a day I could be done with this.

This first pic of the evening, is one of what i believe to be a type o in the plans. If you do the math. These braces should be roughly 8.75" not the 9.375" called for. Maybe i am wrong! Maybe someone could double check for me? Regardless, i went with my gut and decided 8.75", which fits nicely.

f364ee275ca4f7e2baedbe583d7293b1.jpg

7c71dfe66aab4939b96e7e7d575cd3c0.jpg

One more after i cleaned up.

00b282bbda00598a3cbdc271045fdefd.jpg

I would like to know. As i have felt i have measured twice and had taken my time cutting, double checking my measurements. There still seems to be some things that are off. I noticed this on my first build and now more on my second. The one that is getting me now, is the outside wall of the horn. I think i know what i will do next build, which will be measuring and cutting as i go. Which will hopefully help me fine tune this to a perfection. I will say this build is turning out better than my last.

• Like 2

Not much to report, i have only been spending a couple hours a night. What is killing me. Is if i had just a half a day I could be done with this.

This first pic of the evening, is one of what i believe to be a type o in the plans. If you do the math. These braces should be roughly 8.75" not the 9.375" called for. Maybe i am wrong! Maybe someone could double check for me? Regardless, i went with my gut and decided 8.75", which fits nicely.

f364ee275ca4f7e2baedbe583d7293b1.jpg

7c71dfe66aab4939b96e7e7d575cd3c0.jpg

One more after i cleaned up.

00b282bbda00598a3cbdc271045fdefd.jpg

I would like to know. As i have felt i have measured twice and had taken my time cutting, double checking my measurements. There still seems to be some things that are off. I noticed this on my first build and now more on my second. The one that is getting me now, is the outside wall of the horn. I think i know what i will do next build, which will be measuring and cutting as i go. Which will hopefully help me fine tune this to a perfection. I will say this build is turning out better than my last.

Cut as you go on the outside panels. This is what I did on mine. I actually cut mine a little long/wide

and fit them as I went. Saved a bunch of time and everything fit tight. You are right on the 8.75 that is correct, had to recut mine after finding this out.

Edited by totalcomfort
  • Like 1

What the.... is that MDF i see you using

I know tell me about, but hey this one time for the cost and for how much I was going to do, I opt for it.  I won't let it happen again, well maybe once or twice more.  But I will wait until I have the dust collector installed along with the air filter.

• Like 1

Thats a bummer, maybe I miss understood him as I thought he told me the ap12 was pretty universal. I guess for the price it couldn't hurt to try.
I agree. Even since a ap12 is used for a wide range of speakers. From klipschorn to la scala... so why not try a jamboree.

I'm not sure why an ES500 wouldn't work in a two way configuration. The bass bin is good to 500hz right? I guess I've never seen the specs.

Or is it just the fact that most people want to use active crossovers with the Jambos?