Jamboree build thread

Arash

Contacted Al about the networks. His reply was that he does not have a suitable network for the Jamboree.

Since a crossover always is designed for a specific speaker/ set of drivers i can only agree....

Maybe i still try the universal or ap12.

Thats a bummer, maybe I miss understood him as I thought he told me the ap12 was pretty universal. I guess for the price it couldn't hurt to try.
I agree. Even since a ap12 is used for a wide range of speakers. From klipschorn to la scala... so why not try a jamboree.

I'm not sure why an ES500 wouldn't work in a two way configuration. The bass bin is good to 500hz right? I guess I've never seen the specs.

Or is it just the fact that most people want to use active crossovers with the Jambos?

Mine have actually gone to 600, so yeah I dont see why it wouldn't either.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Split jamb.....very cool.

If i could have found a band saw big enough. I would have just ran my full size Jamboree through it and been done. Fortunately this project hasn't cost me much.

Duder, great thread. I love the build threads, always find a few tips that help and usually no one gets pissy.

I do have a band saw that might help cut your Jamboree's in half, might take two passes but...... can definitely turn your half scale into quarter scale pretty quick. Great work.

post-60988-0-46480000-1452217204_thumb.j

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

Small update.

I decided i liked the out come of the top and bottom. So i made a template, i am also working on a template for the bracing. My goal is to try and makes assembly easier and quicker, along with making everything fit better.

c8c9b83806bb134554d561440f2fc315.jpg

Mocking up is going good, could use some adjustments.

4b9f866490b8e895a6a6df4bcd94bff4.jpg

But all and all I am happy with it. Hopefully tomorrow i will have it all glued up and will be testing Sunday.

• Like 2

I can't remember who it was, but many moons ago I was communicating with somebody who made a 30" deep version of these.  It is basically the same flare/reflectors as you see above except that you bring the "woofer chamber" extended another 6" and the side flares continue "their flare" to match the middle-front face as above.   

If I were to built these again, that is what I would do.

This is a great build thread.

I can't remember who it was, but many moons ago I was communicating with somebody who made a 30" deep version of these.  It is basically the same flare/reflectors as you see above except that you bring the "woofer chamber" extended another 6" and the side flares continue "their flare" to match the middle-front face as above.   

I would do the same, since the Jamboree is only a 3 1/2 foot horn, it falls between a Khorn and a Jubilee and rolls off at 80 Hz. If 80 Hz is good enough, then Glenn Proffit's (Tromprof's build at the end of my Quarter Pie Horn thread) rear channel horns would sound better since they are a straight axis horn. Like I said before, everyone should be using subwoofers of some sort below 40-80 hz. no matter what.

So the trade off on the bass/midbass section is to fold or not to fold. If so, the fewer, the better, which is why the Quarter Pie acts like a smoother mini MWM without EQ. I suspect that Tromprof's straight axis horns are the smoothest of all. This could be easily proven with a quick measurement.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

If you are gonna do subs, I would just build a simple straight axis horn full space.  Then you won't have any standing waves of the horn for parallel walls of no expansion.

Heck Ramsdellproaudio makes horns for 15 or 12 inch woofers and one gets to 80Hz.  DDS and TSG make some too.  I called Ramsdell and they are a tractrix based flare.  When I started emailing and asking more questions, they quit responding.

I would consider the 30" deep jamboree if I was not doing a sub and have simple stereo setup.  My same logic would be for the Khorn, jamboree, Jubilee.  If I was gonna do a sub anyway, I would choose another route.

The jamboree, jube and Khorn are meant for 1/8 space and heavily rely on the corners.  All of them have that ~6dB roll off under 100Hz.  The MWM has a much bigger mouth as it is a 1/2 space horn.  

Here is my jamboree with twin crites wired parallel outside in 1/8 space pink noise.

I was the first to build one and there was an error in the drawing I received so the back reflector was a little off.  However, this would have no effect on the low end.

post-14392-0-56200000-1452348037_thumb.j

I wouldn't mind giving this a try.  Are you referring to this area right here.

I take it this would would give you more lower end?

post-27403-0-40520000-1452352581_thumb.j

Cutting these in half appears to be similar to Dana's J2 cabinets. I haven't seen the plans, but the J2 twin is a J2 made modular and stackable:

http://www.soniphase.com/J2_PAGE1.html

That might have been where I got the idea, I figured if Dana was building it in a single stack then it must perform good.  I wonder what he did to make the back flat. 

It does go deeper than a la scala? I thought it would do about 40hz.... am i wrong?

I though I had some plots showing the did fine down to 40hz, or at least in my space.  I will take some measurement with this one tomorrow if I have it up and running.  Speaking of which, its time to finish this puppy.

• Like 1

extension like this:

Man your garage looks like mine, oh wait that is mine. So I take it, that would do two things. Increase the back pressure of the driver in the rear chamber and extend the horn giving the bass longer to expand.

Yes but......exclude the "point" in the back as it is of no true depth since in the corner.  In fact it can be left out of the build.  It is for cosmetics.

The jubilee could have done the same thing.  It is truly 24" from back to front.  Your jamboree if truly was 24" (leaving out the back point), adding the 6" extension would make for a total 30".

• Like 1