Current value of KG4s?

tube fanatic

There are a lot of people asking high prices for this kind of stuff, but I can't believe they are getting it. In the past few years I have bought walnut Fortes for $375 and walnut Chorus for $500 (with a HK 630 receiver in a wood case thrown in). These are probably better than average prices but just because someone is asking an outrageous price doesn't mean that is the going market rate. I wound up selling my very nice La Scalas  with full factory grills for under a thousand. I figured they would sell for more (and asked for it) but no doing.

There is a business sitting on a pair of black KG5.5 near me, they want $400.  Not selling at that price.  I think they would be great in my living room but I think I will let them sit on them for a few more weeks, $275 seems better to me. 

Funny I don't own any KG4's but was very excited when I got my first pair they are great little speakers and even though I'm a Danley Sound Lab Dealer I still enjoy Klipsch I have a pair of split LSI's and also love Altec I have a pair of A6 VOTT's and like those also . Good luck with your sale.

There is a business sitting on a pair of black KG5.5 near me, they want $400. Not selling at that price. I think they would be great in my living room but I think I will let them sit on them for a few more weeks, $275 seems better to me.

There's a pair by me for $175.00. I thought about getting them just because of the price and they'd be an upgrade on my 4.2's.

I have a pair of KG4's I just picked up on a recent Buy It Now late night for $225 delivered and they are in pretty good shape. In my avitar you can sort of make out my pair of modded KG4's. I used the KG4 components and built them into a custom four foot tall tower. They sound way better than the original cabinets did and work perfect for my surround set up. I built a third with a horizontal arrangement and it pretty much equals my KLF-C7 for output and clarity. I was actually considering doing the same with my recent KG4's.

Long live KG4's!  I have 4 pair [5.2 system] arranged as line arrays with 8" together and horns at ear level and near the ceiling.

Sound field is everywhere - NO sweet spot. Hard to describe the presentation - but I can get the girls dancing in 30 seconds.

Titanium 8 ohm diaphragms from Joe at Midwest Speaker or Bob Crites will relieve the 4kHz shriek and extend the HF-sizzle.

Since KG4's are really 4 ohms you will need separate amplifier channels for each pair, but the best implementation is to parallel-wire them for mutual damping and drive them with a high damping-factor amplifier like the ADCOM GFA-555 that can handle 2 ohm loads,   via #12 silver/copper cable. Stacking gain = 3dB. Power handling = 200W/Ch. Horizontal dispersion = 4X a single 8" midrange!

Although I have Forte' II's, Quartet's, Tangent 5000's, and KP-201II's, guess what I listen to 80% of the time?  Love those KG4's!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

What’s the asking price?  

This thread is old and the values may not reflect today’s market.  Market is a reflection of time and place, as well as of supply and demand.

MISB (mint in sealed box) will always command a premium, too.

Asking prices around DC vary from $350 to $600 for KG-4s.