An amplifier for bookshelf speakers

Hempseedaddict

Hi everyone.  Would appreciate suggestions for my speaker upgrade.

In Short:

Will Teac's AI-301DA provide good power for the RP-150M?

Teac:

Maximum output 60W + 60W (4 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, JEITA)
30W + 30W (8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, JEITA) Rated Output 43W + 43W (4 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, THD 0.1%, JEITA)
22W + 22W (8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, THD 0.1%, JEITA) Supported Impedance 4 ohms to 8 ohms

RP-150M:

SENSITIVITY: 93dB @ 2.83V / 1m POWER HANDLING (CONT/PEAK): 75W/300W NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 Ohms Compatible

Details:

I'm looking to upgrade from the ProMedia Computer Speakers which I have loved for about seven years.  The subwoofer gave out a couple months ago and I've been considering options.  I tried a couple Sonos Play:3 and did not like them, though I'm very grateful to have tried them, as they made me realize how much I like the sound of Klipsch.

I haven't even looked at audio equipment for fifteen years or so, so a little lost trying to figure out various options and specifcations.  Bottom line, from my iMac, for one room, I'd like to get the right amp for the RP-150Ms.

The room is about 20x20 feet with tile floor.  The ProMedia are plenty loud and full.  I'm more interested in rich warm sound than loud.  I'm listening to more classical from .wav files lately, so hoped to build a bigger sound.  I'm no musician or audiophile, just want to take a step up.  Can't spend more than $1000 total.

Based on the chart on the Klipsch general faq page about wattage and efficiency, it looks to me the Teac oughta get it done.

soundpressurechart_635097429820600000.GI

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

-dg

• Like 1

Hempseedaddict,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think the Teac AI-301DA or the Klipsch RP-150M's are the "right" choices if you are trying to fill a minimum 3200ft3 room with 85+ dB's of volume.  Now if your primary listening position is within 8ft or so of the speakers and you like it about that loud, then I think you would be fine with your choices.

Bill

Hi everyone. Would appreciate suggestions for my speaker upgrade. In Short: Will Teac's AI-301DA provide good power for the RP-150M?

Hi DG.  Outstanding first (or second) post.  You have done your homework!

A couple things about me real quick:  I am not the expert in the new Reference Premier stuff, so take that for what it's worth.  Second I have not heard the Teac, so same caveat.  In general they both look like high quality pieces, so that tells us where your head is at.  I'll try to spend your money wisely.  :D

Speaker:  Do you have room for anything larger than the RP-150M?  I say that because of my personal preference for speakers with woofers in the 6-7" inch range. I think those do voices right for dialog and both male and female vocals.  

What I'm getting at is can you swing the RP-160M?  It has that 6.5" woof I like and has a little bit better power handling at 100 wpc.  $439 for the pair. 

Integrated Amp:  I don't know that TEAC amp but it sure looks sweet.  I'm just afraid that 22 wpc into 2 channels at 8 Ohms may not be enough to match the speakers, even the RP-150M.

I don't have a specific amp in mind that would fit your needs.  The TEAC was listed at Crutchfield for $400 so at least that's a starting price point for your budget.  I feel pretty sure others will weigh in and give you some good advice.

Edit:  What do you think of the Yamaha A-S501?  It has 85 wpc and comes in at a budget busting $550.

-Dave

Edited by wvu80

Maybe shorten your search to a single item. These powered monitors got high praise last year when they came into production. Built in (powerful) amps and a six inch woofer paired with a folded ribbon tweeter solves both of your problems in the speaker and amp search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emotiva-ASM6-/331680065085

Just a thought.

Maybe shorten your search to a single item.

A unique solution!  You're thinking outside the box, Teaman.  B)

+++

I kind of figured you would weigh-in on the amp question at some point, but that's not what I thought you would suggest:

"You gotta amp problem?  I gotta solution;  Sherwood SR120!

"SR120 for you, SR120 for me, SR120 for everybody!"

:lol:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Now if your primary listening position is within 8ft or so of the speakers and you like it about that loud, then I think you would be fine with your choices.

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply. Yeah, just a medium sized room, no crazy loud volume. I'm more concerned about highs and lows within the music, not sure how to gauge the juice for that.

Thanks wvu. I was going to suggest and Emo UPA-2 or UPA-200 amp but...

AND ANOTHER THING... (about those self-powered Emo monitors)

I wish you would quit being so helpful about things I don't need and can't afford.  Every time you make a suggestion even to someone else, I think I want one.   :rolleyes:

(I'm currently unhappy with my Mancave TV nearfield speakers, some Bose 301's with a 15 watt mini-amp.  Man those Emo monitors look nice)  :wub:

Edited by wvu80

can you swing the RP-160M?  It has that 6.5" woof I like and has a little bit better power handling at 100 wpc.  $439 for the pair. 

Edit:  What do you think of the Yamaha A-S501?  It has 85 wpc and comes in at a budget busting $550.

-Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I considered the 160 long and hard, but I really don't have the ear to notice the difference and the bulk of my music is MP3 files anyway, some burned long, long ago in lower quality.

I have been looking at Yamaha's a-s301 just today. Does offer considerably more power. Not quite as small and sleek as the Teac but a little more power so probably less chance of distortion.

I also looked at the specs on the speakers from Teac they recommended with the amp, they were a lot smaller than the 150.

So I keep mulling....

I wish you would quit being so helpful about things I don't need and can't afford.  Every time you make a suggestion even to someone else, I think I want one.   :rolleyes:

(I'm currently unhappy with my Mancave TV nearfield speakers, some Bose 301's with a 15 watt mini-amp.  Man those Emo monitors look nice)  :wub:

Someone I frequently chat with on the Emo site had five of the Stealth 8 powered monitors and absolutely loved them. He is not one of the Koolaid drinkers that think everything someone makes is the best and pretty much tells it like it is. Sound&Vision loved them too!

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-pro-stealth-8-speaker-system#ZrQ4DkRjfqCzWKvM.97

The AMS 6 is slightly smaller and less powerful but use similar technology so I assume they sound good.

• Like 1

Maybe shorten your search to a single item. These powered monitors got high praise last year when they came into production.

T'anks, but I'm too much of Klipsch fan-girl for that ;-)

No worries, we are all Klipsch fans here. It was just an idea!

One of my students offered me a pair of Blows 501s for free today. I said thank you very much but the garbageman comes on Friday

Mark

• Like 3

What happened to TEAC?  Not what they used to be....

I wouldn't be so quick to say that about this beast of an integrated amp and universal player. :o  ;)  :D

CD-3000_auf_AI-3000_quer_E-Mail1.jpg

The Teac AI-3000 tips the scale at 70 pounds and is rated at 200w/ch@8ohms and 300w/ch@4ohms.

Bill

Edited by willland

One of my students offered me a pair of Blows 501s for free today. I said thank you very much but the garbageman comes on Friday. -Mark

LOL!  You just don't know how to set them up.

Swap out the caps for some Mundorfs and get some upgraded resistors, don't get the cheap ones.  Call Crites and he'll fix you up with some replacement tweeters and woofers.  Be sure to use a tube pre-amp with at least 200 wpc monoblocks, these things love power.  Then they will sound pretty good.  B)

As long as you place them just right, two feet equidistant from the side walls, about 18" off the back wall, no toe-in.

Use $1,000 speaker cables if you happen to have some.  I made the mistake once of using cheap wire and it just kills the the highs and lows of the sound.  :(

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I wish you would quit being so helpful about things I don't need and can't afford. Every time you make a suggestion even to someone else, I think I want one. :rolleyes:

(I'm currently unhappy with my Mancave TV nearfield speakers, some Bose 301's with a 15 watt mini-amp. Man those Emo monitors look nice) :wub:

Someone I frequently chat with on the Emo site had five of the Stealth 8 powered monitors and absolutely loved them. He is not one of the Koolaid drinkers that think everything someone makes is the best and pretty much tells it like it is. Sound&Vision loved them too!

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-pro-stealth-8-speaker-system#ZrQ4DkRjfqCzWKvM.97

The AMS 6 is slightly smaller and less powerful but use similar technology so I assume they sound good.

sound and vision loves everything.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish you would quit being so helpful about things I don't need and can't afford. Every time you make a suggestion even to someone else, I think I want one. :rolleyes:

(I'm currently unhappy with my Mancave TV nearfield speakers, some Bose 301's with a 15 watt mini-amp. Man those Emo monitors look nice) :wub:

sound and vision loves everything.

Were they the ones Bose sued for a bad review?