$125 La Scala - Oh Geeze! What have I got myself into now?

Matthews

Duratex, nope.  Too expensive and it looks quite a hassle.  I really hate putting anything on them.  Just like the look of wood, no matter its real condition.  If I were to be keeping, I would just clear coat them and call it done. 

Looks like flat black spray paint it is, these are going to look horrible.  Certainly better than before, just not my cup of tea.  Will certainly help sell them though.

OMGosh!!!  this is driving me crazy... :wacko: 

I am going to clear coat them.  What happens if, heaven forbid, I end up keeping them??? 

I bought some Raw Birch LaScalas that had not been treated since the '84. I simply got some mineral oil and spread it all over the wood then let them marinate for about an hour before wiping dry. They now have a beautiful glow to them and its not necessarily a permanent option.

• Like 2

Black Duratex. Hides many sins, looks sharp to me for this type of speaker, not living room furniture. Jim's look great, follow his lead. Like DizR, I have used on boomboxes and liked the result. I think the next owner would be looking for this type of finish. Unfinished will look like you gave up and then you would only get low ball offers. Just my opinion.

Can I be the 1st low ball offer at $175.00? -_- -_- -_-

Mark

• Like 1

You need to stabilize the bottom of the bins... Just encasing it in paint or some type of finish won't stop rot.  Replacing the top and bottom cover is a good idea but there is still that bottom (that has the opening to the inside of the bin).  Take your time even though it is hard to be patient.  You can always get the drivers and xover's going in the mean time.  Nothing stopping you from using them for a bit before you fix the bins.  

• Like 1

OK guys, I need some recommendations ???

Horns = satin black  That part is easy.

Enclosures, I am not a fan of the black LS but that would probably be the easiest thing to do.  I do think you should put some kind of finish on there, as a new purchaser of a affordable LS is probably not going to want to DIY on a new speaker, I think he wants to plug it in and use it.

If you do go with black, I'd use paint instead of Duratex.  Cheaper.  If you have leftover Duratex then use it because that would be cheaper.

That being said, does it look OK without a finish?  It seems to me there is a decorator LS that is unfinished that is highly desirable.

If you do go to the time and expense of adding a finish, you should price the speakers so you can recoup that cost.

Doc

A Decorator would be raw from the factory, not a speaker stripped of its finish. RB Decorators of any model are popular, IDK about highly desirable, they look their best when the patina had turned them a darker, almost golden color

If you're going to flip them, why refinish them at all? You limit the potential buyers to the color you choose. Let them buy them stripped, working correctly and let them do what makes them happy

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 3

OK guys, I need some recommendations ???

Horns = satin black  That part is easy.

Enclosures, I am not a fan of the black LS but that would probably be the easiest thing to do.  I do think you should put some kind of finish on there, as a new purchaser of a affordable LS is probably not going to want to DIY on a new speaker, I think he wants to plug it in and use it.

If you do go with black, I'd use paint instead of Duratex.  Cheaper.  If you have leftover Duratex then use it because that would be cheaper.

That being said, does it look OK without a finish?  It seems to me there is a decorator LS that is unfinished that is highly desirable.

If you do go to the time and expense of adding a finish, you should price the speakers so you can recoup that cost.

Doc

A Decorator would be raw from the factory, not a speaker stripped of its finish. RB Decorators of any model are popular, IDK about highly desirable, they look their best when the patina had turned them a darker, almost golden color

If you're going to flip them, why refinish them at all? You limit the potential buyers to the color you choose. Let them buy them stripped, working correctly and let them do what makes them happy

Mark

^^THIS^^

If you put Duratex, paint, clear coat, or anything over the wood, you make it much more difficult for the future owner to re-finish them. I say either finish them yourself, or don't do anything except fix the rot….I'll lowball you at $185 :D

Can I be the 1st low ball offer at $175.00?

….I'll lowball you at $185

REALLY???

Mark, I will sell them to you for $895. I will include a sturdy cardboard box for you to put the drivers, horns and x-over in for your ride home.  DIY...

Ceptor, you can have them for seven hundred twenty five dollars, drivers installed. Your choice of finish (for $825 I can offer Duratex)

:ph34r:

Edited by Matthews