$125 La Scala - Oh Geeze! What have I got myself into now?

Matthews

OMGosh!!!  have no idea what I am going to do with these.  Going to have to just get them cleaned up a little bit for now.  Move them to a wall and think on it for a bit.

ALL ideas, suggestions, comments and advice welcome.  I am insane, but hey, I like the results :wacko:

post-36834-0-82380000-1445034693_thumb.j

• Like 1

LOL!  Well, you can't be in love with two women at the same time, and I see a nice looking pair just behind those La Scalas. 

Since you just went through a labor of love, if you aren't going to keep the LS's I would be tempted to give them a really nice cleanup and get all the drivers working.  Then see if you can flip them to recover the cost of the Chorus boxes you just had built, or to supercharge the Chorus networks.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

OK all, need some advice...

Thinking the best route is:

1) pull all the drivers and crossover and get them cleaned up to the best of my ability.

2) send the crossover and mid/high horn drivers (minus horns) to Bob Crites for some freshening up.

3) in the mean time, begin sanding down the cabs and seeing what is salvageable. At the very least, I know the "trap door" will have to be replaced.  Time to get creative!

I don't dare hook these babies up.  The crossovers are SUPER SCARY!!!

Thoughts?

• Like 1

The big question is, what do you plan to do with them?

It matters because if you decide to keep them for the long term I would have Bob upgrade the network and sell you some super-duper drivers.  You will have a fantastic sound for half of what it would cost you to purchase a hot rodded LS.

If you think you will flip them (or even keep them for the short term) then the plan you laid out is exactly the way to go, get the basic overhaul for the least amount of money.  If you go that route you will have  a great sounding speaker you would be happy to keep, or you will have a speaker in salable condition worth between $800-1200.  It's rare that you will recoup your investment in upgraded components.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Harvest the parts and build new cabinets.

Yup, working on getting some pricing for servicing the crossovers and horn drivers now.  Will most likely just do the very best I can with the cabinets.  Parts of them are so far gone though, new fabs may be my best alternative.  The biggest problem with building new cabinets is my table saw is really crappy.  For small projects it is great.  The bigger stuff becomes more difficult. Going to have to be creative and improvise.

Your Chorus turned out great so you clearly have the talent.

Fuzzy, I had a great deal of help with the Chorus build.  Much of the credit goes to "MookieSTL"!!!

OMGosh!!!  have no idea what I am going to do with these.  Going to have to just get them cleaned up a little bit for now.  Move them to a wall and think on it for a bit.

ALL ideas, suggestions, comments and advice welcome.  I am insane, but hey, I like the results :wacko:

attachicon.gifLa Scala beaters (Small).jpg

Are we all looking at the same photo?  I mean, they don't look all that bad. Granted, I'm not standing in front of them, but damn, did you happen to see the junkers that were dropped in my driveway?

Have ye no faith?

post-12530-0-68220000-1445046630_thumb.j

post-12530-0-37420000-1445046647_thumb.j

post-12530-0-57620000-1445046670_thumb.j

post-12530-0-98900000-1445046685_thumb.j

post-12530-0-78380000-1445046706_thumb.j

post-12530-0-77080000-1445046726_thumb.j

• Like 5

Well, you can't be in love with two women at the same time

Says who? 

My wife.  :D

...and now for the bad news I have the only x-over that is NOT worth re-building. Have to buy new ones :(

You are going to have some time.  Can you put the word out and try to get some XO's on the used market?  They do become available from time-to-time.  It's not unusual for people to buy new Crites XO's and have an extra set laying around.  (I'm thinking economical build here)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121783709640?item=121783709640&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

Edited by wvu80