$125 La Scala - Oh Geeze! What have I got myself into now?

Matthews

How fast do you need it?

Yesterday LOL - kidding of course.  Going to try to have this project wrapped up by the end of next weekend.  Very simply going to get everything working 1st.  Remove all hardware and sand the cabinets down, replace both bottom trap doors. Repaint the mid horns. 

After everything is back together and fully functional, these will be an affordable entrance for someone who wants to delve into Vintage Heritage.  How far they want to take them after that is there choice. 

An affordable La Scala for someone is my goal. Pass it along the best I can...

• Like 3

$89.00 + shipping..........new in box.......yea man, get it....

You havn't hit that "buy it now" yet......

MKP :-)

• Like 1

How fast do you need it?

Yesterday LOL - kidding of course.  Going to try to have this project wrapped up by the end of next weekend.  Very simply going to get everything working 1st.  Remove all hardware and sand the cabinets down, replace both bottom trap doors. Repaint the mid horns. 

After everything is back together and fully functional, these will be an affordable entrance for someone who wants to delve into Vintage Heritage.  How far they want to take them after that is there choice. 

An affordable La Scala for someone is my goal. Pass it along the best I can...

If you were closer i would pick them up for myself, slap a little lipstick on them and give them a new life.

Wish i never sold mine.

Are those AL-3 XO's ?

• Like 1

You havn't hit that "buy it now" yet......

got it :emotion-21:  - total investment so far, $229.60 + elbow grease

slap a little lipstick on them and give them a new life

foundation remover 1st, then some lipstick :emotion-19:

Are those AL-3 XO's ?

they are just they AL x-over, not AL-3 :sad:

• Like 1

Anyone???

I need a K-33E woofer.

Boy, you are moving fast!  Much faster than I would have.

You've done such a great job so far on cleaning those drivers, as I would have thought they were beyond redemption.  I thought those XO's were in equally bad shape, but you are proving your skills in cleaning things up.  Can you get the rebuild kit from Crites and do it yourself?

Edit:  I'm a few posts behind.

I see you got your woofer.  Since the XO works and these LS's are is not going to be a keeper, are you just going to clean the XO's up?  It seems like the way to go.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

OK guys, I need some recommendations ???

Putting color on these babies tomorrow.  Not sure what to do?

Just straight flat black?  Satin black for the mid horns?

Leave em as is?  Let the new owner decide what to do with them? (of course, paint the horns though, pretty)

Flat brown?  Satin black for the horns?

I'm partial to the textured look and durability of Duratex as shown on my DIY boombox.  

That reminds me,  winter is fast upon the Northern Hemisphere.  Time to get unused paint out of unheated spaces and into heated spaces.  Last winter I forgot and lost most of a gallon of Duratex to freezing.

post-6832-0-05200000-1445109104_thumb.jp

OK guys, I need some recommendations ???

Horns = satin black  That part is easy.

Enclosures, I am not a fan of the black LS but that would probably be the easiest thing to do.  I do think you should put some kind of finish on there, as a new purchaser of a affordable LS is probably not going to want to DIY on a new speaker, I think he wants to plug it in and use it.

If you do go with black, I'd use paint instead of Duratex.  Cheaper.  If you have leftover Duratex then use it because that would be cheaper.

That being said, does it look OK without a finish?  It seems to me there is a decorator LS that is unfinished that is highly desirable.

If you do go to the time and expense of adding a finish, you should price the speakers so you can recoup that cost.

Edited by wvu80

Black Duratex. Hides many sins, looks sharp to me for this type of speaker, not living room furniture. Jim's look great, follow his lead. Like DizR, I have used on boomboxes and liked the result. I think the next owner would be looking for this type of finish. Unfinished will look like you gave up and then you would only get low ball offers. Just my opinion.

post-60988-0-03980000-1445111381_thumb.j

• Like 1

Black Duratex. Hides many sins, looks sharp to me for this type of speaker, not living room furniture. Jim's look great, follow his lead. Like DizR, I have used on boomboxes and liked the result. I think the next owner would be looking for this type of finish. Unfinished will look like you gave up and then you would only get low ball offers. Just my opinion.

Totally agree. Are you in a hurry?

Duratex much much better than paint. Looks more professional, much more durable and goes a long way. Not all that expensive.

Edited by jimjimbo