4.1 Promedia stopped working. Does this pod look blown?

shmerls

Hi.. I've had my Promedia 4.1 THX for ever and loved it. It finally stopped working the other day. Being a tinkerer, I opened the subwoofer and while I don't know how to test currents and things, I wanted to at least look to see if the fuse was blown, or some components were fried. All looks perfect.

I next opened the pod and the top looks a bit messy. I realize an eye ball "test" doesn't compare to a true electronic test, but I thought I'd post and show what it looks like in case someone has looked at theirs and can say if mine looks "suspicious" and then since Klipsch doesn't make these any more what might I do.

The symptoms are: green light on pod is out and there is no sound. Dead, dead, dead.

The 4 orange-ish are they resistors? look very odd to me. I don't know much about these but I've seen enough circuit boards and these look like they got hit with some heat and looked fried. The opposite side doesn't show any suspicious melting or discoloration like these 4 do.

If the orange resistors on the opposite side are the same value, then for sure the 4 on the bottom are fried. Right?

Thoughts?

If these 4 resistors are indeed fried, can someone tell me their value? And should I first simply try to replace these and see if my system comes back to life?

Thanks for any input and help.

Steven

post-43873-0-59320000-1445035011_thumb.j

Edited by shmerls

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JJK.

I took my 4.1 to a local repair guy who works out of his house and he feels the Power Supply is blown. Does anyone know where parts for the 4.1 can be found? I think I read that the components are not obscure proprietary ones, and common readily available parts. Is this true? Thanks for any input on where to buy.

Steven

• 2 months later...

Steven,

I found a website that has lots of information needed to repair the ProMedia V2.1, V4.1, etc.  It has been most helpful.  So far I have repaired two different problems on the amplifier section at a very minimal cost. 

Here's the website - www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/bash_amp.htm

JD Huggins