Klipschorns new ones... & what amp or receiver ?

adqrip

Nobody that I'm aware of has a pair in Atlanta.

I was thinking of a store or dealer... wasn't inviting myself over to someone's house...   ;)

Looking forward to seeing them once you get them in place. Do you know what finish you think you are going to go with?

going with walnut...   lots of wood in my house...

If you mean dealer for an audition of a Khorn, I don't know of any but that doesn't mean they might not exist.  If you mean to hear the Jubilee then I'm about 99.999999999999999999999% sure the answer is no since it's not considered a residential speaker.  It was originally designed for home use but the company decided to shelve it.  Later, they were looking to add something in their cinema line and Roy (co-designer) pulled it out of mothballs, making it a 3-way.

He has made it available in black and now in some nicer finishes, to the individual who wants it and doesn't mind putting some energy into acquiring them.

About the only way you are going to hear a Jubilee is to visit someone's home.

As a side comment, how cool is it that a speaker designed specifically for the home is good enough for commercial use?!!

I was thinking of a store or dealer... wasn't inviting myself over to someone's house...   ;)

Looking forward to seeing them once you get them in place. Do you know what finish you think you are going to go with?

If you mean dealer for an audition of a Khorn, I don't know of any but that doesn't mean they might not exist.  If you mean to hear the Jubilee then I'm about 99.999999999999999999999% sure the answer is no since it's not considered a residential speaker.  It was originally designed for home use but the company decided to shelve it.  Later, they were looking to add something in their cinema line and Roy (co-designer) pulled it out of mothballs, making it a 3-way.

He has made it available in black and now in some nicer finishes, to the individual who wants it and doesn't mind putting some energy into acquiring them.

As a side comment, how cool is it that a speaker designed specifically for the home is good enough for commercial use?!!

I see...  wasn't aware they were commercial..  but it does say a great deal, that they are considered cinema quality..

But that is the reason I got on this forum, to educate myself..

cheers! 

Edited by adqrip

I have seen the charts on wattage needed by PWK and just working from memory he also says that 100db is what he calls loud

Yes, he called 100 dB "Average Level" loud.  But he called for very brief peaks of 115 dB "at your ears." 

Klipsch's notions of loud show up in many places.  One is Dope from Hope, Vol 16, No 1, January 1977.  The paper was written by Don Keele, then chief engineer at Klipsch.  He writes that he is talking about Average Levels (not brief peaks).

• LOUD 90 to 100 dB
  • VERY LOUD 105 to 110 dB
  • TOO DAMN LOUD 115 dB

The sheet says that to get 110 dB Average Level during loud passages in the reverberant field (rather than the anechoic chamber in which the sensitivity is measured) of a 3,000 cu ft room with peaks 10 dB over average a single Klipschorn would need a 20 watt amplifier.

What you get with SPL meter readings depends on the settings you use.  When I have used "C" weighting (nearly flat) and "Fast," so very brief peaks have a chance to show up, I have read 110 dB a few times, which probably means I would have been using 20 watts.  Sure enough, my peak reading wattage read out on my old Yamaha read about 25 watts, which is close enough!

OSHA's upper industrial tolerable limit is 115 dB sustained for 15 minutes, not brief peaks. 

Certain kinds of music (some Rock, Metal, Electronic) call for extra caution, because they can be generally loud for sustained periods, rather than having surges topped by brief peaks, like orchestral music does.

With age comes wisdom. So much for 300 WPC monster Amps and TOTL Receivers.  :)

... and Carver Amazings. ;)

If I could offer my advice... A new pari of Khorns soudns like an amazing option.

Like many have sugested, tubes amps/pre are a fantastic companion.

Tube amps in the 3watts-50watts is about all youll need.

You might try to listen to both single ended and push--pull tube amps and decide from there. (Many here would gladly bring over some amps to listen to.

(Get the speakers home and listen to what you have... then seek out a few amps/pre amps to try and see what fits.

Lots of fun to be had for sure.

• Like 1

These guys are way more into things here then I am.  That said I run a pair of Khorns.

I have on my rack a Marantz 2500 that has been restored.  Along with some other SS equip that has been serviced.

So what do I listen to?  Some old tube amps and a tube receiver.  Circa 50's-60's.  Nothing over 30w a channel

Liked the SS stuff, but like the tubes better. 

Class mate in the 70's told us that tubes were better for music.  Guess he was right (In my opinion)

• Like 1

So what do I listen to?  Some old tube amps and a tube receiver.  Circa 50's-60's.  Nothing over 30w a channel   Liked the SS stuff, but like the tubes better.    Class mate in the 70's told us that tubes were better for music.  Guess he was right (In my opinion)

Thanks... may have to take a hard look at tube amp... 

Late to the discussion.

I first heard Khorns in 1977, dreamed about them for decades and finally got a used set last year. I am listening to them near field with a 45wpc push pull tube amp and a very nice tube preamp. I could not be happier. Yes there are many hot rod ways to go and Jubes are fantastic. At 59 I have chased the dream of always looking in someones back yard and wishing I were there (the grass is greener etc) Do your research, make a choice and enjoy. The biggest lesson I have learned is once you find something that makes you very happy, STOP LOOKING LOL :D

• Like 2

The output and response of each speaker will be different if one is enclosed in a corner and one is not. You can build false walls or enclose them to fix this. BUT......if you buy a set of Jubilee's you won't have to mess with this plus you will have one of the  absolute best sounding speakers you can purchase today.  Plan on hanging several large sound panels with those tall ceilings, you're gonna have some serious reverb and echo depending on the shape and openings in the room.  Worry about the electronics later, but what you have mentioned should sound terrific.

Take it from a K-horn owner, consider the Jubs, they're on a different level

db30d815_attachment.jpeg

Are those set as two-way or three-way speakers? Bet they sound spectacular.

Mark

A photo or two of your room would be helpful and a description of carpeting, furniture, etc. Will this be two channel only, or?

how do you post images?

Since most images nowadays taken either by phone or camera are pretty large file sizes, I would recommend you reduce the file sizes first if you want to post multiple photos.

Go to your original post and select “Edit” on bottom right.

Then select “Use Full Editor” button

At the bottom of your post, you will see under Attach Files, the “Choose File” button, select that.

That will take you to your computer file directory, where you will select the file you want to attach

Select that file, then “Open”

You will be taken back to your post, where you will see the file name displayed under Attach Files

Select the “Attach this file” button

You will then see the small image and the file name just above the Attach Files section in a blue bar

Place your cursor within your post, where you want the image to appear, then select “Add to Post” within that blue bar.

The file name will then appear within your post, and you can then select to Preview or submit the modified post.

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

That plastic pumpkin in the foreground is going to absolutely wreck the soundstage of your Khorns!   :wacko2:   Of course, it also depends on what is in it....foil wrapped, plastic wrapped, paper wrapped....gotta be careful with those things....(sarcastic capacitor reference....)

Seriously though, it looks to be a somewhat challenging environment with the windows on the left, and the interesting wall angle on the right..(or maybe it's just a shadow I'm seeing)  .I will leave it to the architectural gurus at this point, but sure would love to see the final results.  Either way, I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

Edited by jimjimbo

How wide is fireplace wall....where is tv going??? I'm sure new Ks come with  foam but you need to seal it up as good as you can to the corner. The horizontal part of the bass bin and the vertical tail boards need good seal to wall. Have you already ordered from Klipsch? Oh yea I think you said you were buying new ones from individual.   Rick

How wide is fireplace wall....where is tv going??? I'm sure new Ks come with foam but you need to seal it up as good as you can to the corner. The horizontal part of the bass bin and the vertical tail boards need good seal to wall. Have you already ordered from Klipsch? Oh yea I think you said you were buying new ones from individual. Rick

TV stays (current plan)... Fireplace is 6 feet. Small chest on right wall will be moved out...left cabinet goes also.... Right speaker will butt against TV cabinet & stairs...left speaker will go in corner...

Current plan is to buy new from local Klipsch dealer...

Edited by adqrip

Is a 21 foot wide, by 14 foot deep living room big enough for 2 way Jubes ? I only see the 3 way Jubes available, how does one purchase the 2 way and find out the cost ? Thanks...