Stain Suggestions

J M O N

So I picked up Cornman's Jubilees as you may have seen in the Garage sale section.  The bass bins have an unfinished wood veneer panel on the front.  I would like to finish that wood panel before I set up the Jubilees as their home will be on the second floor and I don't want to move them between floors more than once.  As I have several other Klipsch speakers in walnut oiled finish, I think I would like to get close to that color.  Cornman was not sure what the wood veneer was but it may be raw birch and it does look like that to me.  I'm looking for stain suggestions that would get this unfinished wood to approach the color of the Klipsch walnut oil finish.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Moderators

Do you have some photos.  The Jubes at the time that Cornman ordered his came either all birch, or could could have it come with a finished veneer center panel, in Walnut, Cherry, and I am not sure what else.

There are more than a few folks on here that have gotten Jubes with that veneer panel.  It sounds like raw birch to me. Are the backs painted black, or is it all raw?

The other thing that people do is make grills for those front openings, and I am sure you have seen photos of those before. 

If someone can post Khorn decorators that were stained that will give you a good idea of what it will look like stained.  The ones I have seen in a darker stain came out looking great.

Travis

• Like 1

Do you have some photos.  The Jubes at the time that Cornman ordered his came either all birch, or could could have it come with a finished veneer center panel, in Walnut, Cherry, and I am not sure what else.

There are more than a few folks on here that have gotten Jubes with that veneer panel.  It sounds like raw birch to me. Are the backs painted black, or is it all raw?

The other thing that people do is make grills for those front openings, and I am sure you have seen photos of those before. 

If someone can post Khorn decorators that were stained that will give you a good idea of what it will look like stained.  The ones I have seen in a darker stain came out looking great.

Travis

Photos can be found from Cornman's orignal ad in the garage sale section (links below).  He couldn't remember if he orderd birch or something else but it does look like birch to me.  Other than the front panel, the rest is black.

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_10_2015/post-18394-0-41340000-1443893163.jpg

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_10_2015/post-18394-0-68980000-1443893195.jpg

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_10_2015/post-18394-0-59980000-1443893222.jpg

Photos can be found from Cornman's orignal ad in the garage sale section (links below).  He couldn't remember if he orderd birch or something else but it does look like birch to me. 

It sure looks like birch to me also.

Very tough to get an even stain unless you want to go very dark.

Bill

• Like 1

Hi, Gil!!

LOL!  I flew to Hope for the first one, but rode my Triumph to the first one in Indy. 

Still have the Duc, I don't ride it a lot, but I can't bear to sell it. 

It's time for another long road trip on the Concours14, got the jones going on.  :D

Edited by John Albright

That looks like birch or maple due to the lack of grain... Tough to stain as mentioned... very un-even absorption especially the thin plywood layer you'd be dealing with...

On the other hand: Oiled birch ages VERY well; it gets a little darker and warmer year after year... 

If you want Walnut -- Use Walnut. It's not that expensive or hard to do one large, flat surface. Let's face it, those speakers are awesome and you'll be staring at them for years: do it right the first time and feel good about it.

• Like 1

Buy a few sheets of 1/4" veneered walnut ply (or particle core which actually takes the veneer better).  Easy enough to cut out and put on the fronts. 

Take the extra materials and build nice looking "picture frames" for the bog ole horns. 

Finally, make some grills and cover  the sides of the bass bins in a nice fabric.  You will have a beautiful pair of speakers and be out of pocket maybe $100 or a little more. 

• Like 1