Stain Suggestions

J M O N

Very much appreciate all the suggestions and I am looking into all of them.  I'm 99% sure the veneer is birch but I've got an inquiry in to Klipsch to verify at 100% -- awaiting response.  I'll look into a re-veneer if I can't get the stain to work out, but I do want to see if staining is a viable possibility before moving to the re-veneer.

• 8 months later...

Here is an update on my stain job.  I have finished the staining and am pleased with the results.  I first tried about a dozen different colors on a sample birch panel from Lowes and settled on the Cognac color from Varathane which is oil-based.  The color came out very close to Klipsch oiled walnut which was the goal, it was just a matter of getting the darkness level right.  First I sanded the font panels nice and smooth and then after dust removal via vacuum and tack cloth, applied Minwax pre-stain conditioner.  Then came the stain which took several coats to get the darkness level you see.  After about five coats, it wasn’t getting any darker so I stopped at that point.  it's not as dark as I wanted but it was good enough.  I had planned on putting on a couple coats of Polyurethane as was recommended to me by Cornman, but I really like the way the wood surface and grain looked that I didn’t want to cover that up.  I did put a couple coats of Watco Danish oil to finish it off.  The WAF passed with flying colors – I was told that it looked like a professional job.  There are some flaws in my work but they may be of the type that only I can tell or someone that knows staining (and was looking for them).

Here is one thing I learned about birch – the wood can actually come out looking extremely nice.  Once sanded and with an oil finish applied, I was getting light reflections similar to how finished mahogany wood looks – very light reflective which changes as you move around it.  A very attractive look came with just applying Watco Danish oil finish without any stain.  That was probably the best looking finish overall I saw of the thirteen I sampled.  The Danish oil does add a bit of tint, but at least on birch it is barely noticeable.  It was essentially the same color as unfinished wood (Schu – you would probably love it).  Heck, I liked it enough that I briefly considered doing that.  But in the end, I really needed something darker for what I was trying to achieve.  I would definitely consider that kind of finish for other cases though.

So the end result was better than I thought I’d be able to get.  The picture below does not show how nice the finish is.  Where it may look like I got an uneven stain, those are actually the light reflections that I mentioned above. If I moved the camera, and took another photo, the lighter areas would be in different positions.  Fortunately I did not get any uneven stain. The photo was taken in a dark garage so I shined a light on the speakers which probably contributed to the photo not looking quite as nice as they do in person as well as those lighter areas.  When I get some time, I’ll attempt to take a better photo of how they look without applying harsh lighting directly to them.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips.  I read every one and did my best with them.  I learned that birch can be finished very nicely if its limitations are considered and you don’t try to do something it just can’t do.

Before:

233dyt.jpg

After:

2eqgv4l.jpg

• Like 3