College Football Payoff predictions

DizRotus

Baylor was unbeaten last year and lost out in the final four to a defeated Ohio State team if memory serves me correctly. So the selection committee obviously chooses who they think are the 4 best teams on selection day. The couldn't care less about them being undefeated.

Your memory serves you correctly. They seem to have gotten it correct last year, as once beaten Ohio State went on to win it all, while one loss Baylor lost to 7-2 Michigan State in a "home game" at the Cotton Bowl. But that could have been beginners' luck on the part of the committee.

Edited by DizRotus

I agree JL. Ohio State has looked unimpressive in victories, but no team clearly stands out. IMO, Alabama is currently the best team on paper, but the parity in college football makes each week exciting. As an indication of the parity, NAVY is ranked and deservedly so.

Although the Committee claims that last year doesn't influence them, OSU's championship last year seems to be giving them momentum. If OSU beats MSU and UM and wins the B1G championship game, they will deserve a spot in the final four. Similarly, if Iowa wins out they're in. Alternatively, the Committee's task will be difficult if the B1G champion has 2 losses.

To make the Committe's job easier, I'll be rooting for Stanford over Notre Dame. But then again, I root for almost anybody against Notre Dame.

Edited by DizRotus

If Iowa continues to win, including the B1G Championship game in Indy, they should be in, as they would be undefeated.  If MSU or OSU wins the B1G Championship, the Committee will have some discretion as to whether or not the B1G winner is in the playoffs.  Given that the only potentially undefeated team at that point would be Clemson, It's difficult to predict which 1 loss teams will be in and which will be out.  Michigan could still win the B1G, but, with 2 losses, they have, essentially, no chance at a spot in the playoffs.

If Notre Dame has the decency to lose to Stanford next week, the Committee's task will be easier.

I predict:

1. Clemson;
  2. Alabama;
  3. B1G winner (unless Michigan); and
  4. Notre Dame.
Edited by DizRotus

I'll be rooting for Tarheels to tame Tigers, Cowboys to end Sooners, Cardinal to punish Irish, Hawkeyes to husk Nebraska & Buckeyes to make Maize blue.

Of course, it's all for naught if Spartans are bitten by Nittany Lions, whatever one of those is.

Right now I'm just wondering if you can be #2 in the country on power ranking, then lose 3 games in a row and find yourself out of a job. I understand LSU wants to find somebody to beat Saban but those guys don't just grow on trees. I hope Les can keep his job. He is certainly one of the most entertaining if not best coaches in college football. 

Clemson vs Alabama in the championship would be something.

Notre Dame is a pretender IMHO.

Plenty of work still left to do.

JL-

I agree it would be a mistake for LSU to fire Les Miles.  Of course, he's no Gerry DiNardo, but that's a good thing.  If LSU is shortsighted, Miles won't have to travel far to find another good position.

This next week will be interesting.  A lot could change.

I also agree about ND.  Their best games were a loss to Clemson and a win over Navy.  I hope Stanford can sort that out.