Some highlights of 2015 CEDIA

Nismo

When initially watching a well executed Atmos track, I have said on multiple occasions that the non-Atmos track was lackluster by comparison... to the point of checking my settings to see if all was normal. Not because something was broken, but because the non-Atmos track lacked the impact of the Atmos version. 

Yes, you can ignore my post. Easy fix.

edit: Maybe you won't see this one (lol)

Edited by Nismo

I think the reason you both don't get along here is the fact that you are both very one-sided. 

Scrappy "If you haven't heard Palladium or Cinema gear, you haven't experienced true, quality sound"

Nismo "Atmos is the only way I will ever enjoy music and movies again, everyone that hasn't heard Atmos is missing out on life"

Of course I am just paraphrasing here just a little ;)

I have enjoyed both of your posts in the past, especially Scrappy's, he has taught me a ton. The endless "my way or the highway" banter between the two of you guys can just get a little old. 

I have a very modest system, when compared to most, but I enjoy the gear and the knowledge gained by trying to maximize my HT experience. I am a home electronics junkie like many here, let's all just relax and get our "fix" together! 

• Like 2

Headphones? (lol) Then that would be the issue. You kinda missed the mark. Not interested in your taste in music. Like I said, I have no interest in Enrique Iglesias. The point of my post on Bailando was that is was an outstanding example of an Atmos track. The authoring & mix of the track is anything but.... meh.

Call me crazy but I kind of have to enjoy the original content before I'm going to get all excited about some effects being rerouted to the ceiling. At least in my opinion, Atmos is icing on the cake, it enhances what's already good. I haven't seen anything or heard anybody else say anything that would make me believe that it's the main attraction that would make or break the experience as you are always claiming.

I'll throw my 2 cents in, prolly not even worth that :) Seems like we have two camps here, non-atmos and atmos.  I have two separate systems in my home, a 5.1 in the den and 7.1.4 (Atmos). Not the same speakers or head units, amps. The 5.1 sounds very good, but the Atmos system is a bit above it. Of course keep in mind that this is my opinion. I'm not sure why some here just seem to despise Atmos (Maybe too many audioholic videos).

No matter how you feel of either, just keep the good content and help/ advice coming.

• Like 1

I think the reason you both don't get along here is the fact that you are both very one-sided. 

Scrappy "If you haven't heard Palladium or Cinema gear, you haven't experienced true, quality sound"

Nismo "Atmos is the only way I will ever enjoy music and movies again, everyone that hasn't heard Atmos is missing out on life"

Of course I am just paraphrasing here just a little ;)

I have enjoyed both of your posts in the past, especially Scrappy's, he has taught me a ton. The endless "my way or the highway" banter between the two of you guys can just get a little old. 

I have a very modest system, when compared to most, but I enjoy the gear and the knowledge gained by trying to maximize my HT experience. I am a home electronics junkie like many here, let's all just relax and get our "fix" together! 

Valid points K5SS. I get long with Scrappy, at least I thought I did. He & others like to throw down a bit & engage in harmless trash talk. A lot of stuff comes directed my way, I'm a big boy, I never took anything personally, never offended. Just natural back & forth with differing points of view (always good-natured & nothing serious on my part).

For me Atmos is a big of a leap as going from DVD to Blu-ray was. Back then, I would never hesitate to pass along positive info on Blu-ray & in doing so would not disparage anyone who has not yet made the leap. If I point out highlights or positive aspects of Atmos tracks... it because that's how they play in my space. That is intended to provide quality info from personal experience, certainly not intended to insult anyone who doesn't have Atmos. In the future, I'll try a different way to describe the contrast (pro & con) between channel based & object based formats. Not sure what that approach is...

I don't think anyone disputes the performance of Palladium or Cinema gear (at least I never have). However, those options are not practical for most due to size or cost. Atmos is new tech & there's plenty of room for information on the subject.I try and post as much info as I can so others can mare their own informed choices. Some here still think Atmos is a gimmick & only sends a little audio bouncing off the ceiling. That is misinformed. From the authoring process, software & adaptive rendering.... Atmos places & moves up to 118 individual audio beds throughout all of your speakers including subs. Atmos is not limited to only overhead content, but that myth still continues.

An Atmos set up is very accessible for the average enthusiast & can be a cost effective route when the upgrade itch strikes. There are lots of options for every budget & space. Everyone recommends all kinds of gear, I can only recommend what I enjoy. I guess I could post with less enthusiasm & less information. 

• Like 2

Some here still think Atmos is a gimmick & only sends a little audio bouncing off the ceiling. That is misinformed. From the authoring process, software & adaptive rendering.... Atmos places & moves up to 118 individual audio beds throughout all of your speakers including subs. Atmos is not limited to only overhead content, but that myth still continues.

My only issue with this all is that you seem to think that you're the only person who has owned, demo'ed, or read about, Atmos enabled stuff.  When somebody disagrees with the sentiment that it is the end game, best thing since sliced bread, possibly better than sex itself, or even dares to use slightly technically incorrect terminology, you tend to get bent out of shape.  I don't really get that.

Seems like we have two camps here, non-atmos and atmos.

It's more like non-Atmos, Atmos is pretty cool but there may be bigger priorities, and one super Atmos fanboy.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

My only issue with this all is that you seem to think that you're the only person who has owned, demo'ed, or read about, Atmos enabled stuff.  When somebody disagrees with the sentiment that it is the end game, best thing since sliced bread, possibly better than sex itself, or even dares to use slightly technically incorrect terminology, you tend to get bent out of shape.  I don't really get that.

Seems like we have two camps here, non-atmos and atmos.

It's more like non-Atmos, Atmos is pretty cool but there may be bigger priorities, and one super Atmos fanboy.

See there you go (as usual) you gotta (try) and insult me. Shows where you priorities are.

btw... not insulted & never implied I was the only one who.... whatever you said attributed to me above.

This is a speaker forum, the Home theater section of a speaker forum. Atmos is fantastic. Who would have thought one couldn't express that. 

• Like 3

Relax folks.

We are all passionate about something.  Nismo just happens to be passionate about Atmos at the moment, and that is okay.  Scrappy is passionate about pro cinema speakers and DIY subwoofers, and that is okay.   

I just made a killer meatloaf and am currently passionate about that, and that too is okay. ;)  :D

Bill

• Like 4

• Moderators
I just made a killer meatloaf and am currently passionate about that, and that too is okay. ;):D

That was fantastic Bill!   :lol:

Everyone recommends all kinds of gear, I can only recommend what I enjoy. I guess I could post with less enthusiasm & less information.

I think it's great that you post so much info on Atmos.  It's especially valuable to this forum because you have firsthand experience with it.  I feel like I initiated this bantering (although it was not my intent).  I was just legitimately wondering if you worked for Klipsch or Atmos.  :D  Don't worry about the naysayers....you just continue to enjoy Atmos and share you passion with everyone.  Those that do not appreciate the passion can move onto another thread.  Pretty simple.

• Like 4

See there you go (as usual) you gotta (try) and insult me. Shows where you priorities are.

I fail to see how saying you're a super Atmos fanboy is an insult. Based on your posts you should be openly admitting to this and embracing the title. And it's not that it's not great, it's that you take it so personally when people don't make it a top priority. That's what I don't get.

It's not the passion in itself that irks some people. Everybody here is passionate. You've got DeanG the passionate crossover guy. You've got the tube fanatic guy. You've got the multiple DIY sealed 18's is the only way guy (s). You've got the "every recording needs to be manually un-mastered" guy. I'm sure you've got the "everything that comes out of your stereo has to be acoustic unamplified recordings" guys. Nobody's ticked at this stuff.

And for future reference, if I wanted to insult you, you'll know about it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

And for future reference, if I wanted to insult you, you'll know about it.

That is so lame. Virtual poking the stick. Normally I just ignore you, sadly yesterday (against my better judgment) I sunk to your level & actually acknowledged you with a response. Sorry to disappoint you, but it is impossible for you to insult me via a keyboard. (it wouldn't even work in-person) Your words are just not as important as you think are. Now, I'm going to go back to speakers & audio related topics... you  can troll, insult, or whatever it is you do best. I do not care. 

I don't have atmos (yet). but my room is all wired up for it. so I for one am looking forward to it. If it doesn't work out in the future- well I have some nice in-ceiling speakers then. no biggie. 

I'll bet if you have the Atmos installed and working properly, you won't regret ti.

I don't have atmos (yet). but my room is all wired up for it. so I for one am looking forward to it. If it doesn't work out in the future- well I have some nice in-ceiling speakers then. no biggie. 

I'll bet if you have the Atmos installed and working properly, you won't regret ti.

I hope so. I'm coming from an older 5.1 system. never even had 7.1. now I am set up for 9.16.