Speaker wire

grandcarrera

the internet is going to explode....this is a horrible question on this specific forum....lol....

can't wait to see what happens....

for what it's worth....here are a few suggestions.....

Monoprice 14awg Star

VH Audio Star (u have to scroll down) -not the best choice for speaker cables, but will work well -

Canare 4S11 Star

AntiCables

Monoprice 12awg

here's how this works....if you have a high end 2ch music only system, you generally invest in different cables and wire.  sometimes it gets "ridiculous" in OTHER peoples opinion, but it's your hobby, buy what makes you happy.

if you have a 100% HT, then you can skimp on cables and wire and it won't effect the final product that much. 

bottom line is, if you can hear a difference, then it's something you may want to think about.  i personally won't spend that much, investing in better speakers / gear is always going to net better/ more results.

you didn't give any information on what kind of system you have or what you like to use it for....

keep in mind, high end wire will never make an "OK" system great, at most, cables just add a touch of color to suit your personal tastes.

after all that, for a general suggestion for mainly used HT system, i would suggest the Canare 4S11, monoprice Star, than monoprice 12awg.  the reason i suggest a Star speaker cable over a standard twisted is for EMI protection.  most people here just lay the wires/cables in and there can be a chance of interference. all 3 of those choices are 3N copper purity (Anticables is 5N/6N) which is about standard.  if you just need to hook some speakers us, go with the monoprice 12awg because you won't find a better cheaper wire. as a general note, always stick with some kind of twisted wire over flat for the same EMI reasons.  the Star is just better at EMI.

price per ft:

4S11: $1.16

MP 14awg star: $0.41

MP 12awg: $0.32

anticables: $6

VH audio: $9.49

you didn't ask, but Monoprice has descent banana plugs 

I use the exact Monoprice 12 ga you linked to in Post 1.  It seems like a quality wire with a lot of fine strands to make it up, I don't like the ones with just a few thick strands.  I have no complaints with the Monoprice.

The knukoncep is also highly rated by everyone who has used it.  You won't regret buying quality.

If you are more comfortable with a more expensive wire, or if you like braided wire, or if you buy wire because it looks good I have no problem with any of that.  We buy speakers that sound and look good, why not wires?

You could not go wrong with any of the suggestions made above ^^^. 

• Like 1

The Wirecutter had a recent article updated Aug 5, 2015 on The Best Speaker Cable.  The author says he would buy the same Monoprice 12 gauge wire the OP referenced in his opening post.

Our research shows there really is no best speaker cable. But the Monoprice 2747 12 gauge is the speaker wire I’d buy. I base this on extensive research on available cables and actual listening tests. The 2747 offers excellent value, solid construction, and, perhaps most importantly (and surprisingly), better sound quality. But keep in mind that this is the least important piece of gear in your entire home theater setup and the impact it makes is negligible.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-speaker-cable/

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I don't like them.

They are kind of cool that they are tool-less, but the good part stops there.  The wire is inserted through the center of the plug, then separated 360 degrees around the bearing area and screwed tight by hand.  I find I can't get all the wire in a 12 gauge to make solid contact with the bearing area.

The real deal-breaker for me is that the tip is a screw-in that constantly comes loose.  The idea of a screw-in is so you can change between the tip of a post or pin type, and that of a banana plug.  Good idea, the reality just doesn't work, at least for me.

94362.jpg

• Like 1

WARNING!

Parts Express WIRE :o

Couple years back one of my farmer bud's bought a new 18wheeler tractor, ask me to wire it up w/standard trucker stuff.

I put together an order from PE and figured id just pick up a roll of 12Ga from them, Turned out it was Copper Plated Tin and did not find out till i was TRYING to solder on connectors, what a pizzer. so beware.

• Like 1

the internet is going to explode....this is a horrible question on this specific forum....lol....

can't wait to see what happens....

for what it's worth....here are a few suggestions.....

Monoprice 14awg Star

VH Audio Star (u have to scroll down) -not the best choice for speaker cables, but will work well -

Canare 4S11 Star

AntiCables

Monoprice 12awg

here's how this works....if you have a high end 2ch music only system, you generally invest in different cables and wire.  sometimes it gets "ridiculous" in OTHER peoples opinion, but it's your hobby, buy what makes you happy.

if you have a 100% HT, then you can skimp on cables and wire and it won't effect the final product that much. 

bottom line is, if you can hear a difference, then it's something you may want to think about.  i personally won't spend that much, investing in better speakers / gear is always going to net better/ more results.

you didn't give any information on what kind of system you have or what you like to use it for....

keep in mind, high end wire will never make an "OK" system great, at most, cables just add a touch of color to suit your personal tastes.

after all that, for a general suggestion for mainly used HT system, i would suggest the Canare 4S11, monoprice Star, than monoprice 12awg.  the reason i suggest a Star speaker cable over a standard twisted is for EMI protection.  most people here just lay the wires/cables in and there can be a chance of interference. all 3 of those choices are 3N copper purity (Anticables is 5N/6N) which is about standard.  if you just need to hook some speakers us, go with the monoprice 12awg because you won't find a better cheaper wire. as a general note, always stick with some kind of twisted wire over flat for the same EMI reasons.  the Star is just better at EMI.

price per ft:

4S11: $1.16

MP 14awg star: $0.41

MP 12awg: $0.32

anticables: $6

VH audio: $9.49

I'm going to use it with my RP-280-FA set up 

i agree about the Banana plugs.  i used them for a while and the only way i got them to work great... i used two pairs of pliers and really cinched them down, then for the top, i carefully tighten them.  lastly, i took one of my pics or jewelers screwdriver and bent the 4 prongs out more.  they did make better contact.  i eventually bought some Furutech plugs on closeout from Sonic Craft. those are amazing.  in my Garage sale ad, i show a pic of one of them bent because they held up my LPA-1 amp when the shelf fell! i can't believe 1 plug held that amp up! i'm sticking with those suckers!

it's a long answer but basically, for speaker sound performance, Tin will mimic more of a "silver" sound, just not as smooth.  silver tends to be more bright and the lower the quality it starts to be harsh.  as far as general purpose, i like the Tin.  in fact all my rear speakers are teflon coat, tin plated because they are in the wall.  copper will corrode over time which will ruin that nice warm neutral sound.  surrounds you generally want bright or sharp for the effects, so the Tin plating doesn't effect it. 

since i have 7's, and i did the mod, i try to keep as much silver, rhodium, or tin out of the connections.

Edited by InVeNtOr

lastly, i took one of my pics or jewelers screwdriver and bent the 4 prongs out more. they did make better contact.

i eventually bought some Furutech plugs on closeout from Sonic Craft. those are amazing.

I had my Monoprice plug prongs collapse as well.  I "fixed" it the way you did with a jeweler's screwdriver.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Furutech plugs.  I am still mulling over trying to find a quality set of banana plugs for a decent price to replace the Monoprice units.

• Like 1

yeah, having Copper plated would suck bad!

Banana plugs.... these are not too bad.  some of the China ones are actually pretty good.  it comes down to the finish process but i doubt any HT set up can improve/degrade with a quality china one vs. expensive one.

me personally, after $10 each....that's my limit.  i only needed 6 (12 total, both ends), so i upped the budget.  when i have a bi-wire set up and 7 speakers, it was monoprice all the way! lol!

Edited by InVeNtOr