Speaker wire

grandcarrera

I've used two brands of BFA bananas, Knukonceptz and Audioquest. Both worked well, and the Audioquest ones come with little Allen wrenches to easily tighten them.

The BFA bananas make more sense to me, because they have a larger contact area than standard banana plugs, which contact only at the "belly" of the springs. As well, you can use needle-nose pliers to tighten or loosen BFA bananas for the exact fit you want.

As for soldering on tin-plated copper wires, the Knukonceptz Karma Kables gave me no problems to solder, and they never corrode, unlike some cheap Home Depot type wires.

The twisted pair configuration is good for rejecting EMI noise, but the new braided Knukonceptz wires look interesting.

Audioquest has a new line of Sure Grip BFA bananas that are kind of pricey at nearly $40 for a set of 4. I use the less expensive ones that are similar to the ones in this picture, except the plastic housings are more barrel-shaped.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/attachments/f12-headphones-and-speakers/13551d1404910706-good-quality-compression-banana-plugs-sgbfaskit-3139.jpg

you didn't ask, but Monoprice has descent banana plugs

I don't like them.

They are kind of cool that they are tool-less, but the good part stops there.  The wire is inserted through the center of the plug, then separated 360 degrees around the bearing area and screwed tight by hand.  I find I can't get all the wire in a 12 gauge to make solid contact with the bearing area.

The real deal-breaker for me is that the tip is a screw-in that constantly comes loose.  The idea of a screw-in is so you can change between the tip of a post or pin type, and that of a banana plug.  Good idea, the reality just doesn't work, at least for me.

94362.jpg

Try using some thin tape thread wrap like plumbers use or a dab of the weakest Loc-Tite style adhesive. 

I ordered  knukonceptz and Sewell Silverback Banana Plugs, hopefully I will be good  :)

Excellent.  Those looks like solid choices.

The one thing I like about the group process is that a person may not always make the 100% perfect choice, but it really does pretty much guarantee you won't make the wrong choice.

+++

GC, I'd like to talk over your shoulder to the rest of the Klipschites.  I think this has been a very scholarly, well reasoned discussion about what can be an emotional, divisive issue.  I think we did good.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I ordered  knukonceptz and Sewell Silverback Banana Plugs, hopefully I will be good 

GC - That's  some good components coming your way. I have to the 10ga. version of the spk wire. Just a note: The outer clear jacket is tough to work with, but just take your time to not cut into the inner sleeves. Did you also get the pants/boots

I ordered  knukonceptz and Sewell Silverback Banana Plugs, hopefully I will be good 

GC - That's  some good components coming your way. I have to the 10ga. version of the spk wire. Just a note: The outer clear jacket is tough to work with, but just take your time to not cut into the inner sleeves. Did you also get the pants/boots

Those Y-boots look cool.  They'd make for a factory look on your cables.

As for the Karma Kable outer jacket, it's thick, but quite soft.  Work slowly and carefully with a sharp knife, and you shouldn't have any problems.  The inner jackets are similar, but it's easy to cut into the wires if you're not careful, since the strands are so fine and soft.  If a few get cut, don't worry about it; there are lots more there to carry the signal.

Let us know how you like the cables and bananas.

No i didn't get the boots. I probably should but they're already ship it out  :D

here is my curve ball....

i don't have the cash right now to buy any designer wire, but i want my system to at least make noise.....so i found some spare wire in one of my bins...

M27500-12SM2N23

in a nut shell...it's Mil spec wire, 12awg twisted and shielded. copper with tin plating. teflon insulator, 2 layers. not the best option, but it will work....

I've said it once before when this question pops up, if you can run the cable through a 1/2 inch garden hose than it is too small and will not carry enough current to satisfy hungry speakers. Something about the girth of a medium to large boa constrictor is about right. Keep them off the floor or Bad things can and will happen. Escaping electrons are evil critters.

Kidding aside I use Beldens best OFC cable 1311A Brilliance. The best audio cable they make and made for audio. Steps above what others offer such as Blue Jean.