What is with the audiophile horn hate?

Grizzog

Why you seem to think you have the power to deem this an exclusive horn club I have no idea but keep it to yourself please as your labeling yourself as a PITA.

PITA, seriously do you think you can get in a room in front of a live gathering of Klipsch speaker fans and make the statements in the first 2 post without explaining more without getting booed?  Do you know bigger names to throw around than PWK and Nelson Pass? Such statements as

"need concert levels in my tiny living room. they're cool to impress your friends but after your done doing that... I mean who's gonna listen to a movie soundtrack at 100db's?

and If your beloved manufactures speakers are so great why is the technical / modifications section overloaded with people trying to improve their sound?

I moved on because I pushed them to the limits and they still didn't pass my qualifications test" and not get a response. Seriously who is the PITA making statements like that on a Klipsch horn loving forum.

The last time I looked this is a horn forum but other people are welcome to participate. I am passionate about horn speakers and PWK a legend in speaker design and Nelson Pass, one of if not the most brilliant amplifier designers in the 20th and 21st century and these two statements are not just my opinion but is shared with the International audio community.  I deemed you a PITA for being on this site from the first 2 post you made. To me it suggested you were here just to trash talk a horn forum that specializes in Klipsch speakers. Since then the last few post indicate that you are still a owner of Klipsch speakers and not here to just to antagonize members on this forum, I apologize since you have clarified yourself. Taste in speakers can change and I suppose each has it merits. As I stated Nelson Pass has more than one system he listens with and as far as I can tell open baffles are his go to system to test new amplifiers but for the emotional live as if you are there dynamic speaker he chooses horns. I am passionate about Klipsch and you put me on the defensive from a lack of understanding exactly what you were trying to say with the 2 first post. Perhaps if you try a different amplifier with the Heritage line your opinion may change. I love the sound of Firstwatt amplifiers with my speakers but lately I am enjoying my speakers with a SET tube amplifier. I switch back and forth about once a week. You team a great speaker with a mediocre amplifier and the sound will not be good. Speakers and amplifiers are a team, a point missed by many. I've heard many say I tried Klipsch speakers and they were too bright or had the horn sound and the truth is they never heard them at their best. They are very unforgiving speakers and will show many faults in the rest of anyone's system. They have to be teamed with appropriate hardware to be able to hear how great they really are. As far as PWK, he was and is a legend in speaker design. His designs and clones of his bass are still being made many years later. 

I can understand you liking the open baffle system right now but if you were to hear a Heritage speaker teamed with an appropriate amplifier your opinion might change. I'll agree that they both sound good but for me I will take the dynamic, less distortion, live as if you were there horns. 

Accept my apology.

I'd like to hear those big giant wooden horns Nelson had a couple of students build for him. And of course I would like the sound of a heritage system. I'm not really sure where your going with that? I don't want to spend that kind of money nor do I feel I really need that kind of system.

I shot a short vid of my OB's not to antagonize you but to post up to youtube for other OB lovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCSCygVh5w

I'm glad we're all friends again!  :emotion-19:

Now can we back to the subject of trash talking Bose?  :emotion-41:

I actually liked my Bose 901's with 400 watts until I heard the K-horns. I have never looked back. I actually settled on LaScala's because at the time there was very few LP's that had any bass below 60 hz and the price between the K-horn and LaScala's at that time was double and as we know the K-horns really deserve a large room with the appropriate corners. Now with media with the low bass I have built a large sealed sub and just turn it up where it projects and fills in the bottom end the LaScala's are lacking without booming. 

I agree, let's all be friends. This was just a miscommunication problem. 

I used my LaScalas as mains and a sub for about 11 years. I really don't think you can get more or better sound than that setup for the money. In many cases you would get worse sound for more money depending on brand.  La Scalas really are a special speaker.

The next time someone says horns aren't high end, ask if they have ever heard of Acapella Audio. If that is too high end for them, how about Avantgarde Audio. These are serious high end companies.

Then there are hybrid horns like Jadis Eurythmics or even JBL DD66000. Not to mention all the Heritage Klipsch line. So, if you don't think horns are high end, you don't know high end.

• Like 1

Do you mean these little speakers?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/shaneybob/media/kleinhorn.jpg.html

It is just a little full range speaker with a little back loaded horn. What kind of speakers are you using in you open baffle? 

Yep thems the ones, Kleinhorns I knew the name had something to do with Ace Ventura pet detective. :D  Fostex 103's in mine, along with PRV 15's and Dayton 12" subs. Mind you I am not claiming they sound good or that they sound anything like a Klipsch reference, just that they sound okay to me and the fact that I put them together myself just seem kinda cool to me. Lots of great sounding speakers in the world built by all sorts, Top of the line to someones homebrews. We do it for the love of audio. :)

Edited by cradeldorf

• 4 years later...

Back in the early 90s I brought home a pair of Klipsch Fortes from a store called HiFi Buys. Part brainwashing from the salesman who was against my choice and part excessive dynamics that may have initially overwhelmed me, I took them back 2 hours later and exchanged them for a more expensive pair of Infinity Kappa 8.1s. I owned the Infinity Kappas for 15 years before selling them. I never once missed my brief encounter with the Klipsch until now. I should have given them time to win me over. I will buy a pair again, God willing.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 5:14 PM, Makarisma said:

Back in the early 90s I brought home a pair of Klipsch Fortes from a store called HiFi Buys. Part brainwashing from the salesman who was against my choice and part excessive dynamics that may have initially overwhelmed me, I took them back 2 hours later and exchanged them for a more expensive pair of Infinity Kappa 8.1s. I owned the Infinity Kappas for 15 years before selling them. I never once missed my brief encounter with the Klipsch until now. I should have given them time to win me over. I will buy a pair again, God willing.

it's just a matter of wanting, waiting and watching. Heritage line come up on various sites. You can get some very nice speakers w/o breaking the bank.  Not that I am discouraging you from buying new... new is good.

Horns arent the end all be all in audio, but they are for me and many others.  That being said there are other incredible non-horn speakers be it foldded ribbon, plannar, electrostatic, ect.  They all sound different and when done well they sound great.  Different strokes for different folks.