Klipsch floor speakers

daveshawco

Greetings--  my father was an audiophile back in the 50s and 60s and set up the attached speaker in our house. It was his pride and joy for many years. More recently, it has gone unused for the last 10-15 years and it's now time to pass it along.

The specs (taken from the back side):

1. The horn at the top is a James B. Lansing (JBL) model #175 16 ohm impedance

2. The (boxed off) speakers at the bottom are Stevens 15" model 103 LX2 - 16 watts

I have no idea what this is all worth (if anything), and am hoping to find an honest person who will provide a good home. It's located in the Phoenix area, which is where I'll be the end of this week if anyone wants to take a look. Let me know and we'll make arrangements.

Thanks.

Dave Shaw

post-61859-0-81760000-1445299114_thumb.jpost-61859-0-52340000-1445299143_thumb.j

• Moderators

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums.  I'm not too knowledgeable on the Klipschorn (Khorn) model but I'm thinking your father's speakers may be Khorn Clones.  I'm sure these guys can help you determine a fair value for your speakers.

• Like 1

More photos of the backs, sides, crossovers, etc, would be very helpful.  Just from a cursory check via Google, the driver on top is quite valuable if in good shape and working....take your time with your research...

One or two full speakers?

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

Greetings--  my father was an audiophile back in the 50s and 60s and set up the attached speaker in our house. It was his pride and joy for many years. More recently, it has gone unused for the last 10-15 years and it's now time to pass it along.

The specs (taken from the back side):

1. The horn at the top is a James B. Lansing (JBL) model #175 16 ohm impedance

2. The (boxed off) speakers at the bottom are Stevens 15" model 103 LX2 - 16 watts

I have no idea what this is all worth (if anything), and am hoping to find an honest person who will provide a good home. It's located in the Phoenix area, which is where I'll be the end of this week if anyone wants to take a look. Let me know and we'll make arrangements.

Thanks.

Dave Shaw

attachicon.gifspeaker-front.jpgattachicon.gifspeaker-back.jpg

If you don't get answer from someone on the forum here, I should be in the Greater Phoenix Area the following week. PM me here with a general idea of where you are located there on how long you plan to be in town.

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums.  I'm not too knowledgeable on the Klipschorn (Khorn) model but I'm thinking your father's speakers may be Khorn Clones.  I'm sure these guys can help you determine a fair value for your speakers.

Despite what he says, Youthman knows what he is talking about.  This is a Klipschorn clone.  With the clones, it all depends on how they were made and what pieces were used to put it together.  Some are worth about $200, some are worth 10x that or more if they are really nice.

• Like 2

Jimjimbo wrote:

> More photos of the backs, sides, crossovers, etc, would be very helpful.  

Should these things be visible without dis-assembly? I know almost nothing about this stuff, and to my eye there's very little additional info I could get pictures of. I'll see what I can do.

> One or two full speakers?

I'm not clear what you're asking. The horn at the top is in a separate enclosure from the woofer piece at the bottom. I have no idea what's in that lower box.

Wolfbane wrote:

> I should be in the Greater Phoenix Area the following week.

I'm only there through this coming Sunday evening. I could probably find a place to leave it where you could see it if that works for you. It would be in the Cactus / I17 area.

Ave Bona Cornwall wrote:

> With the clones, it all depends on how they were made and what pieces were used to put it together.

Any suggestions on how to find out what this is? Anyone in the Phoenix area that would like a free lunch?

Thanks for any help.

Dave Shaw

I'm not clear what you're asking. The horn at the top is in a separate enclosure from the woofer piece at the bottom. I have no idea what's in that lower box.

You pictured one full speaker.  Is there a pair?

+++

Also, the pictures that are being asked for above ^^^ will help us identify exactly what speaker you have.  For instance you listed a JBL compression driver horn in the top.  That would be unusual for a Klipsch speaker and is NOT stock, but it may be a replacement somebody else put in there.

OTOH you may have a clone of a Klipsch speaker with high quality drivers.  There are people here who are very familiar with the various changes made to the many models made over the last 50 years who can identify what you have, and help you find out its relative value in your local market.

wvu80 wrote:

> You pictured one full speaker.  Is there a pair?

No-- only one.

I've attached a picture of the driver(?) behind the horn and also another picture of the back. There is little to photograph on the bottom end. Lots of wood, and my father's handwritten note (on the wood) about it being a Stevens woofer.

I also learned this afternoon that the horn is apparently made of wood, which came as a surprise to me.

Dave Shaw post-61859-0-31540000-1445396094_thumb.jpost-61859-0-75780000-1445396110_thumb.j

Questions answered....excellent.  As stated earlier, I think you have a few moderately valuable items there, check out the sold listings on ebay, and also take a look at the Lansing Heritage site.

http://www.audioheritage.org/

Not sure the cabinet is worth much.

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1