wdecho

A DIY Single Ended Class A Kit

@justinsweber  I finally integrated the amps and power supply into one of my systems this weekend.  They took the place of "The Duke" which was a Juicy Music modded Crown D-45 (25wpc).  The ACA amps sound fantastic and are dead quiet at idle.  You can have the amps and pre on with the volume off, stick your ear to the horns in the Lascalas and hear absolutely nothing.  It's hard to compare bottom end in the old Crown to these as I was running a sub with the Crown and I'm not with these but the mids and highs are very clean without sounding too sterile.  I'm sure I'll have these for a while.

20171111_132151.jpg

5 hours ago, justinsweber said:

super pleased for you. The power supply makes all the difference. 

I agree. To get the best out of a class A amplifier you need a good linear supply. There was a new Burning Amp Festival Sunday and Nelson Pass presented a new designed ACA kit to be offered at the diyaudio store. I have since tore down my build of this amp not because it did not sound good with a linear supply but I have a BA-1 that is very similar in design with more mosfets in parallel that sounds slightly better. What the appeal is of this simply design is you are listening to one transistor. The other transistor in the circuit is just a cascode with little effect on the sound. 

19 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

@justinsweber  I finally integrated the amps and power supply into one of my systems this weekend.  They took the place of "The Duke" which was a Juicy Music modded Crown D-45 (25wpc).  The ACA amps sound fantastic and are dead quiet at idle.  You can have the amps and pre on with the volume off, stick your ear to the horns in the Lascalas and hear absolutely nothing.  It's hard to compare bottom end in the old Crown to these as I was running a sub with the Crown and I'm not with these but the mids and highs are very clean without sounding too sterile.  I'm sure I'll have these for a while.

20171111_132151.jpg

I am glad you finally got to listen with them Carl. Enjoy.