Building a 2-way Klipsch Belle ... Economically to start?

avguytx

I've read every thread I could find about building Klipsch Belles as I don't see myself coming into a pair reasonably priced or close.  I can build cabinets no problem (yeah, I do woodworking) and I want to keep them looking like Belles with the "top hats" and grills.  The mid horns will be tough to come across at a decent price it seems so I thought about a 2-way using K-63's like the CF-3's or the EV 1506's or....  

But what horn should I use for a 2 way and keep the same height as the stock Belle?  Or just go 3 way? 

Oh, and amplification wise, I've got a couple of 12wpc tube amps to work with then it goes to S/S ranging from 100wpc to 400wpc which I know is not needed.  Ultimately these will end up in a room above my garage I'm redoing for just this purpose that will be about 14' wide x 24' deep and will have that kind of typical attic ceiling to it.  (A shape)  I'll do some sound absorption where needed.  I may run active crossover to start since I can go tube on LF and HF.

Ithink that a large format driver would be a better candidate to consider after all you are after high output with low distortion. How loud you may want to play is of little importance you want the lowest distortion driver you can find. For a small format driver the DH 1506 is a nice one and it fits very well to the CF3/4 horn. I am using a DH1A fitted with a double cutaway Karlson K-Tube, the extender nose cup of the DH1A has been removed and it is now a 1.4" exit driver with a three inch diaphragm which is a very nice compromise Altec has drivers which sound good too JBL lots of other options Fatial Pro have a 1.4" exit driver but the old drivers will be the least expensive options.

But what horn should I use for a 2 way and keep the same height as the stock Belle? 

The K510 works with the LaScala.  I'd presume it would also work with the Belle.  I'd imagine it would fit inside the top but I don't know for sure.  I can take measurements of one if you want.

Moray is correct.....large format is going to be the cat's meow.

Haha. Yeah, I saw that tail in there.

It looks like the height on a stock top section is 8.5"on the inside (9.5" total height) and the plans I saw for the Belle's with the 510 horns were built with 9.5" inside section so that's doable.

So large format going 2-way route sounds like the recommendation. I've no problem going the 2-way route and I know that resale won't be like originals but I don't really plan on that part. Yeah, I've said that before. Ha

Thanks for those measurements on the 510.

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1

if you want to start off with small format the CF3/4 horn (one inch throat)is very close to the same overall size as the K510 so it will have the same kind or range and similar polars to the K510 but the K510 will have lower distortion though as it has a larger diaphragm driving it. The DH 1506 is actually recommended for use at a crossover of 500Hz.. .

Edited by moray james

I don't know a price.  You would need to find out from someone who's perhaps bought them or, call a dealer yourself (Panecea Engineering, American Cinema, others...)

That said, my rough understanding is, they are 'about' $750 for the horn lens and the K69 driver.  No tray to mount them on (like comes with the K402) and no complimentary chocolate mint on your pillow.

• Like 1

I think the $750 does not include the driver...

I am right here with you... I got some cash and need to fix my mid-horn. I definatly want a K510 and I am leaning toward the Ashly Protea 4x8 for a crossover but it doubles the number of channels as a passive would require, and is balanced. I think I want my McIntosh MC2205 on the woofers and something tube on top, maybe a Bob Latino ST120 or drop the SS and get dual ST120s. I do have an appointment next weekend to audition a new pair of Mc275s.

I dropped in the Eminece Kappa 15"s yesterday into my Belles. Like what they did.

Coytee, your advice sent me the horn loaded sub direction. I trust your ear. That was very good advice.

Edited by Cantilope

Thank you for the kind words Cantilope.

My understanding is, Klipsch does not sell horns without drivers attached to them.  They don't want to get into the 'parts business'.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me that a DEALER might sell a horn lens without the driver.

Back when I bought my stuff, the going price that I was told would be a good ballpark price to use was "about $1,200 for a K402/K69" and "about $750 for a K510/K69"

Back in 2006/2007 the price 'quoted' (guessed at) would have in fact included a driver. 

Let me correct something. The price of a pair of K-510s (with drivers) is not around $750. That is probably a ballpark price for a single.

BTW, the K-510 will sound very good, especially in a room with a high ceiling if you are crossing them at less than about 1500 Hz (which is the case here).

Edited by PrestonTom

They may start out in my living room which is 10' ceilings for now but ultimately will be going to the room I'm building above the garage which will be about 14 x 25 but ceilings at highest will be 7-1/2 to 8' with about a 4' wide section at the top of the ceiling and sloping downward to the sides like a lot of A-frames are built in attics around here.  Similar to this but bigger (not my image)

185300643-attic-room-insulation-frame-an

Edited by avguytx

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in Arkansas ever find a source for Baltic birch per chance? Getting ready to at least start on the cabinets sometime soon.  The 3/4" 4 x 8 "Top Choice Birch Plywood" at Lowes doesn't seem to get favorable reviews and is made in China, it says.  So that's out.  The Home Depot 3/4" Birch is about the same price and gets better reviews but that top layer of veneer looks really thin.

Ridout Lumbar Company doesn't carry it in any of their locations.  (I live in Searcy where main owners are at....went to school with them)

Cedar Creek in Little Rock carries the 1/2" 7-ply in 5 x 5' sheets.

As far as woofers go, is the main choice the Citres 1526 or 1526C and the Kappa 15C? That's Eminence, right?

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1