Building a 2-way Klipsch Belle ... Economically to start?

avguytx

What about the Fastrac Belle horns?  Seems "reasonable" at $475 for the pair versus $750+.  Any downside to these?  I wish I knew more about building horns since the cabinet building is no big deal.  But I don't know the philosophy in them.

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/fastrac-belle.html

My opinion....  one benefit of buying a K510 or 402 is...  it's a Klipsch design.  I can still say I have a Klipsch speaker in my home.  Designed and tested by them (so you know it's going to work....and it does)

Not to knock anyone else but I wonder if open air or backyard or quiet room testing would be as accurate as the anechoic chamber at Klipsch?

Aside from all that, I've liked their speakers ever since I first heard them (1978) and like the idea of supporting them.  Maybe I'm just OCD.

• Like 2

For a small format driver the DH 1506 is a nice one and it fits very well to the CF3/4 horn.

I am using a DH1A fitted with a double cutaway Karlson K-Tube, the extender nose cup of the DH1A has been removed and it is now a 1.4" exit driver with a three inch diaphragm which is a very nice compromise

I thought I had a side-by-side pic of the DH1506 beside the DH1A, but I guess not.  Until you see that 24 pound DH1A live and in person, you can't believe how big it is.

post-58280-0-61420000-1446678166_thumb.j

The 12 pound 1506 is half the size of the DH1A, which is in turn half the size of the CF-4's K-63-KN, 5 pounds.  The horn looks goofy on the backside because it has 10 oz of pure silicon caulk to dampen it.

post-58280-0-56380000-1446678373_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

For a small format driver the DH 1506 is a nice one and it fits very well to the CF3/4 horn.

I am using a DH1A fitted with a double cutaway Karlson K-Tube, the extender nose cup of the DH1A has been removed and it is now a 1.4" exit driver with a three inch diaphragm which is a very nice compromise

I thought I had a side-by-side pic of the DH1506 beside the DH1A, but I guess not.  Until you see that 24 pound DH1A live and in person, you can't believe how big it is.

attachicon.gifEV DH1A IMG_0064.JPG

The 12 pound 1506 is half the size of the DH1A, which is in turn half the size of the CF-4's K-63-KN, 5 pounds.  The horn looks goofy on the backside because it has 10 oz of pure silicon caulk to dampen it.

attachicon.gifIMG_4258.JPG

Now that is a driver, i like to see over the top lifetime lasting kickazz drivers. Dampning is a great idea too.

Guest David H

What about the Fastrac Belle horns?  Seems "reasonable" at $475 for the pair versus $750+.  Any downside to these?  I wish I knew more about building horns since the cabinet building is no big deal.  But I don't know the philosophy in them.

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/fastrac-belle.html

My opinion....  one benefit of buying a K510 or 402 is...  it's a Klipsch design.  I can still say I have a Klipsch speaker in my home.  Designed and tested by them (so you know it's going to work....and it does)

Not to knock anyone else but I wonder if open air or backyard or quiet room testing would be as accurate as the anechoic chamber at Klipsch?

Aside from all that, I've liked their speakers ever since I first heard them (1978) and like the idea of supporting them.  Maybe I'm just OCD.

I am also a Klipsch fan, just not so impressed with the exponential horns.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Guest David H
What about the Fastrac Belle horns?

The Fastrac Belle horn is designed for 3-way use, and would not be the best choice for a 2-way system.

Dave

I've got most everything graphed out in Excel for the cut pieces but I have a few questions about a couple of pieces.  On the top section, what is the length on the side section (circled in red) in the pictures?  I know it's 8-1/2" tall but what about depth?  Are there any more concrete dimensions on the top section?  I thought I'd found them all.

Belle_zpsjlsbyitz.png

Belle3_zpsobzfcone.png

Also, on the back wall of the cabinet where the woofer fires through the 13" x 3" opening, there are 2 pieces that resemble a wide "V" shape for directing low frequencies to the corners.  Are there any measurements for these out there plus the angles on both ends?  I circled them in green in the last picture.

Belle2_zpswky4xmur.png

I've got most everything graphed out in Excel for the cut pieces but I have a few questions about a couple of pieces.  On the top section, what is the length on the side section (circled in red) in the pictures?  I know it's 8-1/2" tall but what about depth?  Are there any more concrete dimensions on the top section?  I thought I'd found them all.

Belle_zpsjlsbyitz.png

Belle3_zpsobzfcone.png

Also, on the back wall of the cabinet where the woofer fires through the 13" x 3" opening, there are 2 pieces that resemble a wide "V" shape for directing low frequencies to the corners.  Are there any measurements for these out there plus the angles on both ends?  I circled them in green in the last picture.

Belle2_zpswky4xmur.png

The side piece you circled measures 14 1/2" on my Belle's.

added some attachments in case you don't have them

KlipschBelle-1-3.pdf

KlipschBelle-2-3.pdf

KlipschBelle-3-3.pdf

• Like 1

Thaaaaattt's the other thread I was trying to find and bookmark.  Thanks for chiming in on this!  

Still deliberating on what to do on top half.   Two way is still the simplest for the crossover as I could go either passive single or bi-amp or go active and bi-amp.  The beauty is that it could change along the way and be switched out by separating the top and bottom piece of the "top hat" and changing the side pieces and grill to go to something else.  Not at that point yet, though.  Main cabinets first, then decide on top.  

Thanks again for the info and link.

On the Eliptrac 400, are there plans for making the wood cut pieces by someone in their own shop or is the only real way to do them with a CNC machine?   What's kit run?  I didn't see the price on the website?

Edited by avguytx

And on another note, I have access to JBL Selenium drivers for very good prices from a long time friend. Has anyone used those with good results in any of the  Klipsch Heritage speakers or otherwise?

Edited by avguytx