Building a 2-way Klipsch Belle ... Economically to start?

avguytx

Guest David H

Dave, on the Eliptrac 400, are there plans for making the wood cut pieces by someone in their own shop or is the only real way to do them with a CNC machine?  What's the cost of the 400 kit?  

It would be pretty tough to build to build that horn without a CNC machine.

It is against policy to do any business related dealings on the forums, and there is currently at least one moderator itching to deal out points and ban members.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Maybe I should've posted this here instead of the other thread....

Back to the Belle building again as I'm going to order more parts.  Again, as much as I'd love to go hog wild on drivers and horns, I just can't...I'm having to be economical to start.  

I've also thought about the JBL Selenium D250-X/HM25-25 combo for the midrange as it's reasonable and seems to get favorable reviews.  But, I need horn opinions, of course.  I'll be sitting about 12 feet away from these ran off of a 10wpc tube amp.

Mid driver

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/D250-X_SpecSheet.pdf

Horn

https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/HM25-25_SpecSheet.pdf

Maybe the D202ti tweeter or Crites CT120 or 125's.  Still undecided.  For sure going with K-33 woofers; could still work with K-55 and K-77 but most seemed to get changed out for something else.  Thus, the idea of going Selenium.  But that also makes me wonder if the Selenium 15" woofers would work in that horn.

Thoughts and opinions?

Edited by avguytx

Maybe I should've posted this here instead of the other thread....

Back to the Belle building again as I'm going to order more parts.  Again, as much as I'd love to go hog wild on drivers and horns, I just can't...I'm having to be economical to start.  

I've also thought about the JBL Selenium D250-X/HM25-25 combo for the midrange as it's reasonable and seems to get favorable reviews.  But, I need horn opinions, of course.  I'll be sitting about 12 feet away from these ran off of a 10wpc tube amp.

Mid driver

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/D250-X_SpecSheet.pdf

Horn

https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/HM25-25_SpecSheet.pdf

Maybe the D202ti tweeter or Crites CT120 or 125's.  Still undecided.  For sure going with K-33 woofers; could still work with K-55 and K-77 but most seemed to get changed out for something else.  Thus, the idea of going Selenium.  But that also makes me wonder if the Selenium 15" woofers would work in that horn.

Thoughts and opinions?

I have the D250x mated with 511 horns.  Since I did a 3 way, the highs are using a D210ti (which looks to be replaced by a D202ti) with a Selenium HM17-25 horn.  This combo works well crossed at about 4500hz to the tweeter and 550/600hz to a set of double Focal 13v 7511 woofers.  Not exactly as you are saying but I can tell you the D250x is a pretty darn good driver as is the D210 (most likely the 202 is very similar).  On the cheap or not, those are not a bad option.  Woofers weren't on the cheap but were laying around  :)

Those Focal woofers are nice. I used those a lot back in my car audio days. I may end up starting with the JBL on top end with K-33 woofers for low end and see where that gets me. It'll be easy enough to change the top section if I decide to go another route later. What crossover did you go with? I would imagine I'll need to compensate for compression drivers.

Thanks for the input.

Those Focal woofers are nice. I used those a lot back in my car audio days. I may end up starting with the JBL on top end with K-33 woofers for low end and see where that gets me. It'll be easy enough to change the top section if I decide to go another route later. What crossover did you go with? I would imagine I'll need to compensate for compression drivers.

Thanks for the input.

I did my own crossovers, 12db per octave.  Considering my 2 Focals are around as efficient as the K-33 (approx.), I used of Bob C's Autoformers and dropped it around 11/12db.  Large 511 horn, efficient driver, and hard surfaces in the room required the high attenuation. 

Depending on the room, you may get away with a lot less compensation.  

Guest David H

Do you have some drivers in mind? The D250-x is ok, not great.

If you are looking for a budget 2-way, you might consider the Faital pro HF-140 on the LTH-142. Bob Crites did some work with this combo, and got favorable results.

Dave

Do you have some drivers in mind? The D250-x is ok, not great.

Dave, in your opinion how does the sound quality of the D250X compare to a K-55? I know the frequency responses, and efficiency are different. Just want to hear an opinion on the sound quality once the crossover has been set. Thanks.

Not trying to answer for Dave but he had posted some info here:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/118582-selenium-d250x/?hl=d250x

Depending on the lower and upper crossover, along with the horn it is attached to, the D250x can be a very reasonable driver, especially with the price consideration.  If you try to push it as low or high compared to the k-55, then the D250x is definitely not going to cut it but cross it around 500/600 and 3500/4k and it does very well.

Perhaps Dave has the distortion plots that I believe Al K. did a long time ago.  That will tell the other part of the story.  Also if you use the D250x make sure you take it apart and damp the back chamber with some foam.  That will clean up the response some.

The keys will be 1. budget, 2. crossover points and 3. horn.

Definitely won't work in a 2 way.

Guest David H
Depending on the lower and upper crossover, along with the horn it is attached to, the D250x can be a very reasonable driver, especially with the price consideration. If you try to push it as low or high compared to the k-55, then the D250x is definitely not going to cut it but cross it around 500/600 and 3500/4k and it does very well.

I agree with this statement.

With the right crossover, this driver is certainly acceptable.

Dave

Guest David H

Sounds like it would be worth it to get a pair of K-55/Atlas PD-5VH mid drivers and call it good. Team those with the K-33's and a pair of Crites or EV tweeters and be done.

That works.

K-33, Crites, or Eminence 15C

Plenty of good tweeters to choose from. B&C, Crites, Eminence etc.

Enjoy your project.

Dave

• Like 1

I've owned 2 pairs of Valencia's over the years. Wasn't impressed at all with either pair or the 811/806 combo on highs. Great midrange but that's about where it ended for me. Plus I'd have to hide those ugly horns. ;)

I'm sure! The 806 struggles to respond over 12k. The x02's get to 18k and above well enough. They have different diaphragm and the x02 is low power, 10 watts?

Not trying to answer for Dave but he had posted some info here:   https://community.kl...d250x/?hl=d250x   Depending on the lower and upper crossover, along with the horn it is attached to, the D250x can be a very reasonable driver, especially with the price consideration.  If you try to push it as low or high compared to the k-55, then the D250x is definitely not going to cut it but cross it around 500/600 and 3500/4k and it does very well.   Perhaps Dave has the distortion plots that I believe Al K. did a long time ago.  That will tell the other part of the story.  Also if you use the D250x make sure you take it apart and damp the back chamber with some foam.  That will clean up the response some.   The keys will be 1. budget, 2. crossover points and 3. horn.   Definitely won't work in a 2 way.

Thank you Pzannucci for the very helpful information.

I agree with this statement.   With the right crossover, this driver is certainly acceptable.   Dave

And Thank You Dave for your very helpful information as well. Very much appreciated.