Whats with all these new aspect ratios?

Heritage_Head

I changed my screen setup the other day and watched Jurrassic World soon after, I thought I forgot to save the lens memory when I set everything up because it was off, so I adjusted it again and saved it.  Was not very thrilled when I figured out that I just overwrote the normal settings and Back To The Future was displaying over the top of the frame and had to adjust again.  

• Like 1

The last two movies I watched both had new (to me) aspect ratios. Tomorrowland 2.20:1 and Jurassic world 2.00:1. What do you guys think of these new screens ratios? 

Neither of these aspect ratios is new, they are just uncommon.

• I love 2.20:1.  That was the aspect ratio of 70 mm Todd-AO, and was used in Around the World in 80 Days (1956 version; the good one), Oklahoma!, South Pacific, Porgy and Bess, and a host of others, including the modestly titled The Miracle of Todd-AO.  It was also used in Panavision 70, later renamed Super Panivision 70 (not Ultra Panavision 70), which was used in 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Lawrence of Arabia among others.   It was also used in the giant screen Dimension 150 (D150) used in Patton and The Bible ... in the beginning.  In the theaters, this was a very immersive AR, particularly when they used a curved screen.  For 80 Days, Lawrence and Space Odyssey the effect was positively  hypnotic.  These ARs were meant for very large screens, seen fairly close up.  Under those circumstances, an advantage of 2.20:1 is that your eyes don't have to scan quite as far back and forth, compared to with 2.35/2.39("2.40").  On any screen, it is is easier to show height than it might be with the more elongated ARs.  Unfortunately, in the 35 mm print downs, they tended to use 2.35:1, compromising the original composition.  For this, and other reasons, it is better to try to see these films in a 70 mm theater, using a 70 mm print.  If you decide to run any of these films in your HT, be sure to sit close, and be aware that Patton exists in two Blu-ray versions, one misguidedly softened -- and idiotic mistake -- and one very detailed.  80 Days isn't even available in Blu-ray yet.  The DVD is O.K., but just O.K..  Space Odyssey was beautifully restored -- visually -- in Blu-ray, but something happened to the sound (especially during the signature theme, Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra, unfortunately) so it isn't quite as impressive as it used to be.
  • 2.00:1 was used at least once in the past, on the insistence of the director of cinematography.  That was for Apocalypse Now.  The Blu-ray version was transformed into a more conventional AR, 2.39, I think .  Too bad.  That probably caused the image to be cut off a bit on the top and bottom.

I have counted 10 different ARs.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

I changed my screen setup the other day and watched Jurrassic World soon after, I thought I forgot to save the lens memory when I set everything up because it was off, so I adjusted it again and saved it.  Was not very thrilled when I figured out that I just overwrote the normal settings and Back To The Future was displaying over the top of the frame and had to adjust again.  

I did the same thing... Did you call the new one 2.20?