The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
7heavenlyplaces

What are your most memorable Klipsch moment(s)?

I'd say the first time I heard a pair of Klipsch speakers (that weren't in a movie theater, anyway.) It was just a pair of Promedia 2.1 that my friend's uncle bought for him. We were playing around recording our voices on his computer (we were both kids) and I couldn't believe how real we sounded when it was played back. Down the line, I'd come to love them for how powerful and clear they sounded.

There's also the time a client gave me a pair of unused KG 5.2s because they were in his garage for 20 years and he didn't want to move with them, which came in the same month I found my much-loved KP-201s for $200. I emailed a few hours after the CL listing went up and bought them early the next morning; the guy said he'd heard from four other people by then! To this day I don't know why he offered them so cheaply, but I definitely won't ever get rid of them.

• Like 2

When I first heard my belles hooked up to a vintage Sony integrated amp after months of figuring out why they didn't sound good while being hooked up to my AVR. My mouth dropped when I first heard them, playing Alice Cooper's welcome to my nightmare.

• Like 1

Other than the theaters, stadiums, halls, I didn't really have a Klipsch experience until I took a tour of the engineering facility in Indy in January of 2011. Their lead acoustic engineer was showing me around. It was filled with speakers, piled to the ceilings. Most I believe were experimental. I remember a really nice furniture grade 5' long cabinet with 5-6 speakers in it. The CNC room was interesting as well. I spent a few minutes in the chamber also, a speaker was playing in there. I do remember a skid full of Gibson SG guitars just inside the loading dock. I did get to enjoy a pair of P38's all wired up in their sound room, a wall of speakers and equipment filled the place. I need to get back over there.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:33 AM, wvu80 said:

You cannot make this stuff up.  :lol:

What a fish story! 

It's 100% true, and it couldn't have happened to a better person.

• Like 1

1994 when I heard the KG 5.5's for the first time.  I had no idea that there were horns, who Klipsch was, but they were big, compared to the other offerings in the room, they looked awesome in black, and they sounded better than anything that I'd ever heard.  So, I walked out with a pair of 5.5's, a walnut SW-10, and a KV1 center.  Bought some small wall mount Advent-mini's for rears.  I was in heaven.  I believe I had a Pioneer receiver to run everything then got convinced to upgrade and bought a Marantz SR880.  Eventually, I bought a KV3 center used.  I think it was on this forum a long, long, time ago.  Still have them all and use some of them today, although they're not all together anymore, and the SW-10 is on it's way to that speaker place in the sky. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtr20 said:

When I first heard my belles hooked up to a vintage Sony integrated amp after months of figuring out why they didn't sound good while being hooked up to my AVR. My mouth dropped when I first heard them, playing Alice Cooper's welcome to my nightmare.

That reminds me of when I started! My first pair was a set of Synergy F-20s I bought on sale on Newegg, I thought they sounded decent but wasn't getting everything I wanted out of them, used a cheap Chinese power amp first ($80 on Amazon) and an amazingly worse-sounding Yamaha stereo receiver second. Some forum members helped me find an old Adcom GFA-535 and preamp and I couldn't believe what I could get out of those $200 speakers. I never bought a receiver ever again. And now I have five pairs of Klipsch now.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 8:38 PM, richieb said:

Hey Rick

Knowing you are a KC guy I knew David and his staff, drooled there for years picking up a pieces of what I could afford still in my teens. My dad worked with a guy who did Beattys custom installs on the side. He built me a pair of custom cabinet pro line JBL's, killers at the time. Guess what I sold them to buy - yeah those new LaScallas!!

But let's talk about unboxing those new LS. I too unboxed new LS in the late '70's. where did you buy yours - Stereo Odyssey by chance? In Meriam?? If so what a coincidence. Bought some killer high end Onkyo gear there also.

I just saw your post...lol...Yea I bought mine at Stereo Odyssey in 1980. I bought B&O turntable and a Yamaha receiver from Beattys. I did not unbox my Scalas the guys from S.O. delivered and unboxed and even hooked them up. I just heard from my sons father in-law that he met a guy that lives in a duplex in Olathe that has  4 K-Horns 2 in his bedroom,,,lol. Does anyone know if he is a member here?

8 hours ago, dtel said:

It's 100% true, and it couldn't have happened to a better person.

I think the fish got a pretty good deal too, no??

i don't know if this counts or not but for me i was surprised to see an install of klipsch speakers the quintets at a boutique hotel named Hotel metro view in Delhi where i was attending a seminar at a conference hall in Delhi. It made me feel proud because in Delhi i have yet to come across another klipsch user other than myself.

The sound was so clear that during the tea break when they played some pop music you would want to go dancing. They had employed 2 sets of quintets in their banquet hall in Delhi which was fairly largish and the speakers were singing, did not get to notice the sub woofer though.

• Like 1

Either the times I brought some Cherry RF-63’s, the THX Ultras that were delivered a few days ago or when the Natural Palladium’s were delivered. All were/are the best speakers I have ever owned. 

Buying audio gear, for me, is just about as much fun as listening to them. I am sick😜

Can't say it was a "memorable" moment but it was the moment I saw my first Klipsch.

Back in the late '70's, there was a higher end Audio Store chain in the Minneapolis/St Paul area called Audio King.

They always had the latest and greatest of everything audio and they had a few dedicated rooms setup with two channel demos.

There was one listening room that seemed off limits because there was always someone manning the door to the room and it wasn't a salesperson.

As luck would have it, there was one day that no one was manning the gates so I was able to sneak in and see what was in the secret room.  The first thing I see is a pair consoles and my first thought was "WTF!! Why are there consoles in this room?!?!?  So I walked up to one of them and tried to open the top to see what it had in there.  Maybe an 8-track player?? and a record player???.  Hmmm..Top wouldn't open so I proceeded to feel along the edges to find some kind of release mechanism.  About the time I gave up trying to open this thing up, I hear "What are you trying to do, son?.  Busted.  So I responded "Ah, nothing".  The salesperson laughed and told me to sit down and be prepared for one of the best audio experiences of your life (I was only 15 at the time) and maybe even in your lifetime.

We listened to music for over an hour and he was right, it was like nothing I have heard before.

The Klipsch speakers in this story were none other than, Klipsch Belles.

It took me 25+ years to finally get a pair of my own!!! :)

Thanks

JJ

• Like 1

I'll start................

So there is one pair of Chorus II's, one left and one right, each resting on a powered SW115, driven by a Scott 222 tube amplifier. The subs are powered. The speaker stacks are close enough to be headphones (almost).

Turned the volume up enough (for a few seconds) to make my eyeballs physically vibrate to the bass lines. A new meaning to "double vision" I guess. You might say that things got blurry at that point...never knew there was such a thing in HIFI reproduction!!! Involuntary visual response...

And yes I'll never hear the same again.

Another one is buying that first pair of Klipschorns...nothing like it...

I bought my Heresys 40 years ago. Shortly after that my in- laws house was struck by lightning. There stereo was fried.My Mother in law asked me to go with them to shop for new gear. Of course I took them to a KLIPSCH dealership. They listened carefully to all the speakers at 3 dealerships. On the way home she said that all the speakers sounded like speakers but the KLIPSCH sounded like music. They bought a pair of Heresys the next day and a used pair for her sewing room a year later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I met him in Starkville MS in 1978 at the store of the local Klipsch dealer. He had us in stitches with some of his Klipschisms and I went away wishing I could meet and speak with him again. Alas, that was the one and only time.

• Like 2

My best moment was finding my first Klipsch speakers(Klipschorns) at an estate sale

for $200. in mint condition. 

• Like 2