R 28 f horn stopped working.

byronkarson

Last night my horn stopped working on my r28 f. Recently I bi amped my front mains. They sounded a lil better to me. Last night I was playing some bassy music and out of nowhere my horn stopped working. My system now sounds muffled. No noise coming from my right horn at all. Is it own or is it something else entirely? Can I fix it somehow?

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

i would put the jumpers back in a run single wires back to them. see if that changes anything. if not then you prolly blew something. bi-amping a passive speaker is a waste of time. any extra power gets burned up in the crossover and you may in fact be actually putting less wattage than you were to them before. if that doesn't make sense I can break it down for you.

Just to add to the situation with my two cents. Since you were playing bass heavy music, I would take out the horn and check to see if the wires have dislodged themselves from either the horn or the crossover. I had that happen once where the bass vibrated the wires off of my horn on a center channel speaker. Just make sure to hook them up to the right leads if they are off.

Boy that would be nice. I don't know where to start on taking horn out. I'm scared of hurting the tower. Does it pop out in a certain manner

Yeah, that looks like it could be tricky. Most of the older Ref lines had simple screws holding the horn in front but yours look like they are internally latched. Not really sure how that works. Another option is I guess going in to take a look from the rear by accessing through the binding post area. In that case you should at least be able to see if the wires are still on the horn terminals or not.

I'm using a crappy Sony str dh 750 av. I switched my towers around thinking it may be the av. The other tower worked fine. I was playing bass boosted music but receiver was on 40 and it goes up to 70. I just didn't think a small watted av could hurt my towers since they should be able to handle more wattage than it can produce.

I was playing bass boosted music but receiver was on 40 and it goes up to 70. I just didn't think a small watted av could hurt my towers since they should be able to handle more wattage than it can produce.

That sounds like the problem.   Not that it is small wattage, but that it is "unclean" small wattage trying to be "clean" big wattage.  That equals distortion which can fry tweeters.

Bill

Edited by willland

The Numbers on the display of the AVR don't mean a thing--except for kinda being a guide.

I think you probably did clip the speakers by running the amp too hot and it was "distortion"

that fried the tweeter. It is easier to burn up speakers with low wattage AVR's than the more

powerful models--especially if you are running more than two speakers because the power

from the AVR decreases. 

One more thing--If you "bi-amped" from your AVR--that will reduce power from each speaker output

from the AVR so "clipping" will be more probable.  Klipsch speakers are so efficient--in most cases

bi-amping is really not required---Just use the jumpers on the back of the speakers so your AVR will

put out more power--more power means less chance of clipping.  Just something to think about. 

Edited by rebuy