Using sub pre out for center channel.

Rocko81

Hi All,

I have a question, my AVR (Marantz SR5005) only has 2.1 pre out. I'm running an Acurus 200x3 amp as well. The L & R speakers are being powered by the Acurus. My question is can I use the .1 (sub pre out) in order to power my center channel with the Acurus? I'm not running a sub at all.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi All,

I have a question, my AVR (Marantz SR5005) only has 2.1 pre out. I'm running an Acurus 200x3 amp as well. The L & R speakers are being powered by the Acurus. My question is can I use the .1 (sub pre out) in order to power my center channel with the Acurus? I'm not running a sub at all.

Thanks,

Rick

No.  The pre-out for the sub channel does not pass through midrange and treble information. 

I'm surprised that any AVR would not have pre-outs for at least the 5 channels (plus a sub out).

I going to leap out on a limb and say no as the sub out will not provide full range. However, I see that your AVR does have center out:

Yep this grab is small but the pre-out is there unless I am missing something

post-19886-0-00680000-1445905237.jpg

Edited by USNRET

• Moderators

I'm surprised that any AVR would not have pre-outs for at least the 5 channels (plus a sub out).

There actually are a lot of AVR's that do not have 5.1 or more preouts.  Typically it's the lower end models ($300 - $400) range. 

I just looked and the Marantz SR5005 is an $800.  Good news for you is it does have 5.1 preouts.  :D

post-25073-0-51160000-1445905370.jpg

All you have to do is get a high to low level converter then use your speaker output to go into your amp. Cheap ones are like $10 and usually works just fine. Real good ones that don't roll off at 20 and 20,000 hz are more like $200.

But you don't have a decoded HT center channel.  It'll make noise but not what you want.

You could use a PWK "mini-box" and create a mono center channel from the L/R channel information.  That would give you a correct center channel but not a HT derived center channel.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I see what you are saying....I was thinking of how you use the speaker level output of your MAINS to go into a sub, then out from a sub to the mains. I had never heard of someone doing something similar using just the center speaker output.  That may work. 

Are you playing this through your Windows 7 computer?

If you have the same audio chip I do, believe it or not, there is a way to to swap the LFE/Center channel.

Go to:

Speakers Properties --> Enhancements --> Enable Center/LFE Swap

Edited by wvu80

All you have to do is get a high to low level converter then use your speaker output to go into your amp.

Huh?  How does that help produce the center channel content?
He already has center channel material being outputted. It's just a high level speaker wire output. To use it with an amp that has a low level input, see my original comments. Won't be as clean as possible since it's going through an amp in the receiver somewhat unnecessarily but it would work just fine.

I'd say just save up for a more versatile AVR, or, if you have enough power amp channels (buy a 2 channel stereo power amp to supplement your 3 channel power amp, for 5 main channels), get a pre/pro instead of an AVR.  Naturally, check the pre-out set-up first, in case someone else has pulled Marantz's trick.

I'd also bring it up with Marantz.  If they know how dissappointed you are with their AVR, they may offer you some kind of deal.  I've heard that Klipsch, JBL, and Teac have done this kind of thing in the past.

Then, save up for a good powered subwoofer. :)