Marantz or Emotiva dac into La Scalas

McMiRA

The time has come to do some equipment upgrading. I'm splitting my 2 ch rig off from its current source and wanting to give it a dedicated dac to feed the Dynaco mk3s into the la scalas. Current setup was a zone out of my sr7007 and wasn't the greatest. Sources will be either a ud7007 or 5007 from marantz for discs, United audio dual 1229 for vinyl, a sonos for streaming and possibly a Mac mini for my digital collection. I am considering 2 dacs and cannot find any comparison threads between the two.

Marantz hd-dac1 vs emotiva stealth dc1

Does anyone have any feedback on these two. I cannot find any threads on any forums where tether are compared to each other.

My interest in the marantz is almost all of my equipment is marantz and I would be able to use the remote bus to control the ud player. The interest in the emotiva is the price and favorable reviews it has received along with input and output options.

I have a Emotiva Steath. Ive used the XDA-1 and XDA-2. I thougt the XDA dacs are great in thier price point. the Steath is a better sounding DAC to me with a nicer remote (fits in the hand better). If I were to do it again... the Oppo DAC is amazing and has many more options.. bluethooth and Airpolay.

A significant plus of the Emotiva side is the analog in... having it allows it to work as a pre... analog in for table, digital for CD.

I have the Stealth DC-1 and a XDA-2 gen 2. The DC-1 is a much better dac IMHO. Seems smoother with more detail. The XDA exhibits connection issues with my Mac Book pro if I don't turn everything on in the proper sequence. MacBook, then XDA. The DC-1 connects regardless of start up order.

Mark

I own multiple Emotiva XPA-2's. Both Gen 1 and Gen 2. The Gen 2 has the smaller easier to handle remote and what seems like better processing from a computer source. The Emo is a great option because it can be used as a stand alone DAC, a preamp or a headphone amp. I use mine for all of the above. Plenty of drive for most cans, smooth sounding DAC and the option to use as a preamp that provides XLR outputs to run to your amps while using the RCA outputs to run a pair of subs if you like. I have not heard a bad thing about the DC-1 either but the full size Emotiva XDA-2 blends much nicer in my arrangements with my other components.

That is why I'm looking at both of these units. They both can function as a pre and headphone amp. No one has anything to say about the marantz hd dac1? Chipset is from their reference line, porthole design matches the rest of my equipment and I can use the remote bus..... But the emo had a great price point and seems to be somewhat smarter in some aspects. Had to look up the oppo. It looks nice but it's priced outside of my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needing something I can use as a pre that is also capable of analog in. This puts the peach tree and bifrost out. The oppo looks great but it is more than I want to spend right now and a sonos will be handling my streaming. I'm leaning towards the emotiva but strongly considering the marantz. I just don't have enough information on the marantz from real world use compared to the emo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

I use the Emotiva XDA-1 and i really like it, works well and no noise at all.

But what I really wanted to say is i did the same by separating 2 Ch from the HTR. I had no idea how much difference it was going to make, it improved everything, and I don't mean by a little, I will never go back to a HTR as a preamp.

Now I know it will depend on how good your HTR was doing but I expect you to see a big difference, good luck and great idea. 

:I did keep the same BR player for both setups with an optical splitter, it's the only way there connected. 

• Like 1