Cool new USA based company / tube amps

joessportster

Is that a Decware se84 derived amp?

NOPE

Per Matt, the designer and builder of ToolShedAmps...

"my amp is NOT a derivative of the Decware SE84."

Matt made it very clear to me that he has a great deal of respect for the other builders out there :emotion-21:

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

Is that a Decware se84 derived amp?

NOPE

Per Matt, the designer and builder of ToolShedAmps...

"my amp is NOT a derivative of the Decware SE84."

Matt made it very clear to me that he has a great deal of respect for the other builders out there :emotion-21:

I am glad you added that last part.

I believe the Decware SE84 amps are triode strapped and use a different driver currently (6DJ8?), so yes completely different animal. Don't hold me to this because I have never seen the inside of one but the toolshedamps just from observation of specs and tubes used looks like they run a higher open loop gain in order to use a good amount of global negative feedback in order to keep power output and bandwidth high but also keep distortion low.  DIfferent approaches is all.

• Like 1

I do know this much, JPX. ToolShed amps are pentode, not triode.

Yes I figured as much which is why I agree that they are completely different. I am just curious if it's straight up pentode or if it's ultra linear (distributed load). People might disagree with me but I actually like the sound of pentode over ultra linear.

Lately my ears have been liking amps without feedback around the output transformer so I have been using power triodes or triode strapped tetrode/pentodes to keep distortion and output impedance low. I find it a good challenge to keep things as linear as possible in open loop, to me it sounds the best.

Edited by xxJPMxx

Since you have already investigated/ordered your chosen amp I can almost assure you it won't be your last. You might want to give a look see to Dennis Had and his "Firebottle" line of SE amps. In case you are not familiar Dennis was founder/president of Cary Audio for many years, now retired making these boutique amps as a "hobby". Dennis could well be the foremost authority on single ended amp design as well as other amp configurations. Although I own one I don't consider myself biased, it's just a nicely priced and great sounding amp. I use mine in rotation with several other amps both tube and sand. Just something you might want to consider as you move forward.

Hello richieb, is this it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-INSPIRE-by-DENNIS-HAD-EL84-TUBE-SINGLE-ENDED-AMPLIFIER-/151170482999?nma=true&si=6yLb%252BINUebRt%252Fv4KIsGhLQwCsU0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There isn't much specs for the amp in the description. What is the power output? I am just curious how Dennis is running these things.

Joe, this would be a terrific thread for the tubes section!  Would you consider asking one of the mods to move it over there?  I anticipate lots of discussion, especially after Matt gets his and does a review---

Maynard

• Like 1

Hello richieb, is this it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-INSPIRE-by-DENNIS-HAD-EL84-TUBE-SINGLE-ENDED-AMPLIFIER-/151170482999?nma=true&si=6yLb%2BINUebRt%2Fv4KIsGhLQwCsU0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

There isn't much specs for the amp in the description. What is the power output? I am just curious how Dennis is running these things.

Yep that is it other than it appears to run 6v6 output tubes rather than the KT66/KT88 as mine uses, 6/12 watts respectively.

However with his designs Dennis' amps can use various output tubes by a change of the rectifier. When I change from the 66's to the 88's I just pop in a different rectify tube.

Joe, this would be a terrific thread for the tubes section!  Would you consider asking one of the mods to move it over there?  I anticipate lots of discussion, especially after Matt gets his and does a review---

Maynard

I second the motion.

"I second that (e)motion."