Cool new USA based company / tube amps

joessportster

. I really enjoy the music, and my goal (I'll never get "rich" doing this) is to simply help others "hear what I'm hearing" for not a lot of money. Is that bad?

Let me reword that to what you really want to say. " I really enjoy the music, and my goal (I'll never get "rich" doing this) is to simply help others "hear what I'm hearing" but only if I get paid for it. Is that bad?

Because clearly there are some DIY'ers around that if you propose a schematic they will build it and hear what you are hearing for not much money. There will still be plenty of people that will still buy your amp because of the way they look. That's what sets you apart from everyone else, as you know, most consumers buy with their eyes. How do you think this thread got started, your amp caught someones eye. If it were in a plain black box people would be much less interested and this thread probably would have never happened. 

What a joke. You seem to claim benevolence but only for a price.

Howdy All,

Some wonderful news this morning. I have been asked (Invited) to build someone else's Pre-Amplifier design for the purpose of getting a great-sounding, entry level, TUBE Line-Stage into the hands of Forum Members who would (if so inclined) have to otherwise source one from China. The beauty of the design is that it is "open source" and widely available to all. So, if you are a DIYer and would like to build your own, you are more than welcome to do so. We will start another thread in this section to use as a "build example/forum help" thread. This Pre-Amplifier will mate well with many Solid State amplifiers that forum members currently own. So either build your own, or, purchase one of mine. I am taking the liberty of deviating from the published "open source" schematics to better suit my style. These deviations will be extensively documented on the thread so that potential buyers and DIYers alike have equal understanding of the choices I am making during the construction phases. This Line Stage is a simple grounded cathode design with enough flexibility to have fun with it. It will have two switchable inputs, a single pair of outputs, and a stereo volume control. This is an ALL TUBE design using a tube rectifier and a single triode output tube section per channel. More details to follow. :)

Cheers!

Matt. 

• Like 3

Howdy All,

Some wonderful news this morning. I have been asked (Invited) to build someone else's Pre-Amplifier design for the purpose of getting a great-sounding, entry level, TUBE Line-Stage into the hands of Forum Members who would (if so inclined) have to otherwise source one from China. The beauty of the design is that it is "open source" and widely available to all. So, if you are a DIYer and would like to build your own, you are more than welcome to do so. We will start another thread in this section to use as a "build example/forum help" thread. This Pre-Amplifier will mate well with many Solid State amplifiers that forum members currently own. So either build your own, or, purchase one of mine. I am taking the liberty of deviating from the published "open source" schematics to better suit my style. These deviations will be extensively documented on the thread so that potential buyers and DIYers alike have equal understanding of the choices I am making during the construction phases. This Line Stage is a simple grounded cathode design with enough flexibility to have fun with it. It will have two switchable inputs, a single pair of outputs, and a stereo volume control. This is an ALL TUBE design using a tube rectifier and a single triode output tube section per channel. More details to follow. :)

Cheers!

Matt. 

Now that's what I am talking about! :D    Now are you ever going to tell us about the magic part that doesn't exist in parallel with the zener? ;)    Probably just a cap......no fun.

Good Morning All,

I've got to get some work done today, however, I did want to post the open source Line-Stage design that we will use as the basis for the new build thread.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/Universal-Tube-Preamplifier/

Giving credit where credit is due, we would like to thank Matt Renaud for this great design. All of you DIY'ers out there should be able to get yourself into this pre-amp for as little as $500 as designed.

I'm not one to leave "well enough alone" so, I will be building two variants that will be offered for sale both on my website (at a higher price to non-Klipsch Forum members) and directly to forum members via private messaging. The target pricing for these variants will be: $800.00 for the "standard" version ($999 on website), and $1500.00 for the "Reference/Custom" version ($1999 on website). I will provide a breakdown of the differences between the two versions in the build-thread.

So without further ado, take a look at the linked design and get ready to rumble...

Cheers!

Matt. 

• Like 2

Good Morning William

I have built this pre and am currently using it. A very simple triode pre with minimum parts, the kind of circuit I like. To me less always sounds better. It is a neutral sounding pre and does not color the sound as some tube pre's do but does smooth the SS harshness that many experience with horn speakers. I see no reason to make it universal with a lot of different tubes and would like to see it designed around one great pre tube instead of many.  I settled on the 12AU7A RCA clear tops as sounding best to me after trying 4 or 5 other different tubes graciously supplied by JP and some others I purchased. I am not one to keep rolling tubes after finding one I liked. 

If you are thinking of a tube pre with your SS amp but want to first put your toes in the water before committing to jumping in you may want to spend less than $50 for a tube buffer. I would not leave one in my system because the ones I have heard color the sound but you will see how it affects the SS sound and opens up the sound stage. For example and there are others. As I said I would not invest a lot of money into a buffer if you like what you hear but go for a tube preamp instead. 

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Assembled-Headphone-Amplifier-Transformer/dp/B008BGLN5G/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447162988&sr=1-10&keywords=tube+buffer

Good Morning William,

I intend to list the suggested "Changes" to the original circuit for the DIY'ers. I agree with you 100%, as the "noval" small-signal "triodes" go, the 12AU7 is a fantastic sounding tube. The additional gain provided by a 12AX7 in this design is going to remain "un-used" anyway, so, we might as well tailor the circuit to optimize the lower gain 12AU7. :)

Matt.

Seriously?  This preamp will not be able to drive heavy loads or long interconnects. The 12AU7 is terribly non linear why would you want to input a 1-2Vrms signal into it and then attenuate all the gain away? All you do is add distortion :/

Sincerely disappointed.

This is the pre-amp I was asked to build, and, many who have built it, like it. Like I said before, I am going to "do my thing" with it and I suspect my changes will make it better. :)

• Like 1

This is the pre-amp I was asked to build, and, many who have built it, like it. Like I said before, I am going to "do my thing" with it and I suspect my changes will make it better. :)

So you will be doing "your thing" (which I am sure is a "trade secret") which will render it a different preamp.

Correction; you are not building that preamp then.