FS: Klipsch La Scala's (Fastrac & Crites XO's) $1700/obo

JustAuBy

Edit: Price reduced to $1700/obo

For Sale are (2) Klipsch La Scala's.  These have been upgraded with Bob Crites Type A crossovers and Fastrac La Scala Wooden Horns.  If you know about these then you know that the upgrades are the biggest game changer.  I am located in St. Louis, MO and can offer a sit in to listen to them before purchase if you would like.  The horn really makes a world of difference and mellows out the mids by taking away the "tingyness".  All drivers are original along with the veneer.  The bottom of the cabinets veneer are starting to peel away.  I would put these in any living room as a center piece.  I've recently got into DIY and have a few projects underway, not selling because i don't like them just trying new things.  Caught the bug!!!  I have the original AA crossovers and K-400 horns as well if you like to swap them in.  We can negotiate price if that is the way you'd like to go.  Price is $1700/obo.  Thanks!

La Scala's (Fastrac/Crites XO's): $1700

La Scala's Stock: $1000

(2) Fastrac Horns: $375

(3) Factrac Horns: $500

p.s. sorry about the sideways photos....

post-61861-0-66020000-1446133825_thumb.j

post-61861-0-79940000-1446133855_thumb.j

post-61861-0-03940000-1446133901_thumb.j

post-61861-0-23940000-1446134010_thumb.j

post-61861-0-92700000-1446134136_thumb.j

Edited by JustAuBy

None. They work and they're inexpensive. If you want looks or a boutique name, keep looking. If you want them to sound like new, you're done.

The story goes that PWK purchased a bunch of paper in oil motor run caps as war surplus. PWK was an excellent engineer. He designed and built to a price. A few cents more spread over a production run could make a big difference in company profit.

The DIY crowd loves to spend time and money (I'm guilty myself) to eke out subtle improvements, real or imagined. That works for DIY, where it would be fatal for Klipsch.

GLWS. I'm sure the SQ is excellent.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input!  I love learning new things.  I'm not a wiley veteran like most here, my uncle got me into the La Scalas and i bought the horns soon after from fastlaneaudio.  He had the Type A crossovers laying around his house, extensive collection of Klipsch gear, so he let me try them out.  It's been 3 years now and i'm ready to try something new.  He says i will regret my decision to sell them but i figure i can always buy again.  I do love them but being in a new 1 bedroom condo in St. Louis doesn't give me the proper space.  Plus i really want to try and build my own speakers.  All your input is appreciated.     

• 3 weeks later...

Hello JustAuBy,    Can you please explain the banana plug rig that you have set-up for the positive and negative wires to the crossover.  I can recognize the jumpers and the positive and negative connector that looks like it is pulled from the back of a speaker.  Also, how did you find spades that small to connect to the crossover?  Thanks in advance for responding.----Ed

• 2 weeks later...

None. They work and they're inexpensive. If you want looks or a boutique name, keep looking. If you want them to sound like new, you're done.

The story goes that PWK purchased a bunch of paper in oil motor run caps as war surplus. PWK was an excellent engineer. He designed and built to a price. A few cents more spread over a production run could make a big difference in company profit.

The DIY crowd loves to spend time and money (I'm guilty myself) to eke out subtle improvements, real or imagined. That works for DIY, where it would be fatal for Klipsch.

GLWS. I'm sure the SQ is excellent.

The cans are GE motor run polypropylene in oil, not paper in oil. They don't sound the same.

I would buy them, but I need a little more bass in a speaker.

Employ a sub for the low end you seek.  No excuses not to own Lascalas.

Almost everyone regrets selling their LS, unless it's to get Jubilees... GLWS, they look great.