Speakerlab K Horns

absolve2525

• 2 weeks later...

Are the woofers 4 or 8 ohm? The default way from Speakerlab was 4 ohm. My Speakerlab SKhorns were special ordered as 8 ohm so they could be used in parallel pairs for a 4 ohm load.

I purchased 4 factory built Speakerlab SKhorns in 1976. They were plywood with the aluminum squawker. They sounded very good. The crossovers were the weak link. At $750, these appear to be a bargain. There are many who prefer the Speakerlab woofers.

AFAIK, Klipsch never prevented Speakerlab from making their version; the patent had expired. Trademark and copyright were other matters. Speakerlab was prevented from referring to Klipschorns or in any other way violating the Klipsch trademarks or copyrights. IMO, the market killed the SKhorn and Speakerlab soon followed.

Edited by DizRotus

Thanks for the post! I assume these are 4ohm, since they use the crossover shown on their literature and manual. The woofers have plenty of punch and solidity, which gives them a nice full sound. I actually don't think the crossovers are too bad, using the Crites tweeters. Hard to beat for this kinda money. They are large and heavy!

Thanks for the replies. I don't have the original tweeters. They originally had K77 type with bad diaphrams when I purchased them from the owner. The Crites are excellent modern and rugged replacements, and extend higher. These sound nicely balanced, with the Atlas midrange being rolled off 1st order to blend with the tweeter, which rolls off 12 db/Oct. The woofer has a simple coil on it, and it sounds great.

Edited by absolve2525