Denon x5200W vs x4200W

grandcarrera

In September of 2014 (when I purchased my X4100) there was no reason to purchase a DTS:X capable AVR.  Over a year later, there is only "1" DTS:X Bu-ray available... Ex Machina. And the audio effects with Ex Machina, (to showcase the object based audio of) DTS:X are basically non-existent (strange choice to debut the format). Right now there is only one other DTS:X Blu-ray title announced; (this summers box office bomb) American Ultra. In the past year+ there have only been 20 Atmos titles released. If DTS"X follows suit, it could be late 2016/early 2017 before any significant DTS:X titles are released. 

In a year or two, I'll be in the AVR market again & it will include DTS:X. But, if I was a buyer now... 11 channels capable with the 5200 (9ch /11 ch with external amp) would be of more interest to me, especially since you can pick it up for less than the 4200. The 4200 is 7ch/9ch with an external amp. 

Couple reasons to grab the (HDCP 2.2) 4200:

** If you plan to go all out with 4K, including UHD 4K Blu-ray player & 4K TV that both offer HDCP 2.2 

** If you plan to keep an AVR for 5-6 years or longer, consider the 4200 with DTS:X

In September of 2014 (when I purchased my X4100) there was no reason to purchase a DTS:X capable AVR.  Over a year later, there is only "1" DTS:X Bu-ray available... Ex Machina. And the audio effects with Ex Machina, (to showcase the object based audio of) DTS:X are basically non-existent (strange choice to debut the format). Right now there is only one other DTS:X Blu-ray title announced; (this summers box office bomb) American Ultra. In the past year+ there have only been 20 Atmos titles released. If DTS"X follows suit, it could be late 2016/early 2017 before any significant DTS:X titles are released. 

In a year or two, I'll be in the AVR market again & it will include DTS:X. But, if I was a buyer now... 11 channels capable with the 5200 (9ch /11 ch with external amp) would be of more interest to me, especially since you can pick it up for less than the 4200. The 4200 is 7ch/9ch with an external amp. 

Couple reasons to grab the (HDCP 2.2) 4200:

** If you plan to go all out with 4K, including UHD 4K Blu-ray player & 4K TV that both offer HDCP 2.2 

** If you plan to keep an AVR for 5-6 years or longer, consider the 4200 with DTS:X

Thx for the reply.

I just picked up 4200 today, thinking about it I'm getting it for the future proof so i don't have to get a new one in 3 or 4 years so its good to have HDCP 2.2, DTS: X and other stuff.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Smart move. I have 4 Denon receivers and just unloaded my 5200 because of the lack of HDCP 2.2 compliance and no plans or options for Denon to upgrade or support this. Instead, they just replaced the 5200 with the 6200 and moved on. My 4200, however, works perfectly with distributing 4K via HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and sounds amazing with the $200 Auro update. I paid for that update on my 5200 as well, just before realizing it was obsolete when installing new 4K DIRECTV hardware. Ugh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smart move. I have 4 Denon receivers and just unloaded my 5200 because of the lack of HDCP 2.2 compliance and no plans or options for Denon to upgrade or support this. Instead, they just replaced the 5200 with the 6200 and moved on. My 4200, however, works perfectly with distributing 4K via HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and sounds amazing with the $200 Auro update. I paid for that update on my 5200 as well, just before realizing it was obsolete when installing new 4K DIRECTV hardware. Ugh.

I considered the 5200W and went the 6200W, since I need HDCP 2.2.  Ultra High Def needs HDCP 2.2 and my new Dish Hopper needs HDCP 2.2 to support its 4K capability.  The 5200W is a nice receiver, but there is a reason it is cheaper due to lack of HDCP 2.2.  I'd pick 4200 or 6200 if you will ever want 4K/UHD.

• Like 1