Your opinion: 2.1 vs. 4.1 for a college dorm room

GoG

Hi there folks, I'd really appreciate your opinion on this. You see, in two months time I'm moving out to a college dorm room which will be say 5 x 3 meters (15 x 9 ft).

So the problem is -- which set to buy? Go for the 2.1's or the 4.1's? I am sure both will have power aplenty, so I'm more like wondering about sattelite distances and all.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

those dimensions sound slightly longer but skinnier then my room. i suggest you get the 4.1's. for $100 more you get 4 speakers for games and dvd's and louder max volume. i put my rear speakers on top of my bass amp directly behind my chair, which works well enough. you might want to think ahead of where you will put your rear speakers to see if you will need stands or not. oh, and some people might say "nah dont get them, you cant turn them up loud in a dorm room anyway", thats bs! you can crank em and rock all night long! heehee smile.gif

i dunno, personally i have 4 in mine, and it tends to be more of a pain than a plus. yes, it's cool having the 4 channel surround and all, but you really have to think about your limited amount of space to begin with. i'm considering selling mine and "downgrading" to the 2.1's for the next couple years... until i can get outta this closet and get a reall room hehe smile.gif

Not a pain at all.. once you get your rears set up.. no need to worry about them. I still need to get my stands. I love how music thru 4-pt surround is.. The music is in ur head and not in front. I have the 4.1 and SBLive! 5.1, this is the first 4.1 setup I have had and it is very simple once you get familiar with the soundcard.

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

Paragon, that's the exact same reason why I would opt for the 4.1's, too - the "immersive" music experience.

I don't really care about the volume but figure that $100 indeed is worth the two extra sattelites.

So from what you guys are saying, the room won't be too small to support the four sattelites?

Also, the distributor here doesn't import the wallmounts or floormounts. Do you know of a place (preferably with a virtual store) that exports them?

• Like 1

oooh, exportin's a bit of a problem it seems. search the forum, there was a dicussion a bit back on sites that will export. i heard the shippings really steep though, so good luck.

J

------------------

JOIN THE "AMY FOR PRESIDENT" CAMPAIGN. OUR PLATFORM:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

192MB Crucial PC100

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Hey GoG ,still haven't got your promedia???

Get the 4.1(you'll love it) especially in games like this game UNDYINGs>

with these surrond speakers it is really atmospheric and scary .I do admit yes if you sit all alone at night and play this games you are bound to jump a few times from place!!!

Strange how something scary gives you pleasure biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

No, still haven't gotten my ProMedia's. The distributor sent me a note yesteday though that they had arrived, and are available from stock, so I'm looking at buying a set in the coming few months.

As for the wallmounts, that I'll most surely be needing, if they're tough to import then what I'll do is buy them this summer. I'll be in the USA for over a month, anyway.

• Like 1