Moving Magnet vs. High Output Moving Coil used with The Fisher 400

yesmynameisking

I have a Pro-Ject RM 5.1 SE Turntable that came with the Sumiko Blue Point 2 High Output Moving Coil Cartridge. I am going to be hooking it up to The Fisher 400 Tube Receiver. Would I be better suited with a Moving Magnet Cartridge? Should I buy something like the Ortofon 2M Bronze? Will there be a noticeable difference?

I had the exact same TT / Cart but when I went to the 2M Black I also went to a Basis 2001 TT so I didn't have a direct comparison. The Basis / 2M beat the 5.1/Sumo hands down but a big price; the 5.1/Sumo served me quite well though.

Should I buy something like the Ortofon 2M Bronze? Will there be a noticeable difference?

If you want to save a little money, Buy the Ortofon OM30, it's basically the same cartridge, just the previous version before they did the 2M line. I also went and purchased the OM40 stylus (2M Black) as they are interchangeable.

I am going to be hooking it up to The Fisher 400 Tube Receiver. Would I be better suited with a Moving Magnet Cartridge? Should I buy something like the Ortofon 2M Bronze? Will there be a noticeable difference?

I agree with the comments above, particularly Canyonman's.  I have not liked the few HO MC's I have heard, prefer LOMC's for their greater transparency.

Ortofons have a higher output voltage, e.g., 5.0 mv, than the Blue Point's 2.5 mv.  That's a substantial 6 db difference, that might be more comfortable for your vintage receiver.  Ping Craig NOSValves to ask his opinion.

Edited by LarryC

It's good to know the Fisher has been restored, since that would have been my first recommendation prior to fiddling with carts.  Check and make sure you have two  Fisher labelled Telefunken 12Ax7's in the phono section slots. I do believe they are leftmost pair of tubes. They are wonderful sounding tubes, but over the years some may have failed and been replaced. 

Since your current cart has so few hours on it, I'd  just play it for awhile and see what you  think. If dissatisfied, then you can probably sell it and then try out  an Ortofon. I've used the Ortofon OM30 and OM 40 with great success with vintage tube gear of various kinds, including a Fisher 400 and Fisher 500.

I wanted that same turntable this past summer when the upgrade bug bit me but waited too long to pull the trigger.  Pro-Ject discontinued the RM 5.1 SE a year or two ago and I got the 2Xperience Classic instead.  I only mention it because it also comes with the Blue Point No.2 from the factory.  But there was something about the sound of that cartridge that I couldn't quite put my finger on - a midrange roughness that never let me forget I was listening to a tiny stone being dragged across plastic.  I had two other cartridges in the house - a Sumiko Pearl (MM) and a Denon DL-110 (HOMC) so I decided to swap out the BP2.  The Denon, which had worked so well on my previous Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 (my preamp is a Vincent PHO-8), was an immediate improvement over the BP2: smoother overall, more detailed, more extended and tighter bass.  There was also a dramatic decrease in perceived surface noise with the Denon cart compared to either of the Sumikos (likely due to a narrower stylus profile that rides lower in the groove).  The funny thing is that Denon sells for nearly half the price of the Blue Point proving that expensive doesn't always equal "better". 

I have friends who rave about their Ortofon 2M (insert color here) carts.  That line seems to offer good value.  The biggest draw might be the fact that you can change/upgrade the stylus without having to buy a whole new cartridge.