What to do ?

RickyClev34

I posted a similar post on AVS but wanted to get my favorite forum's opinion ;)

My current 5.1 set up includes a RC-52ii, RB- 61ii's up front, klipsch F-20's as my rears, and a BIC- PL-200 as my sub.

I know my rears and my sub are my weakness but I've come across a pair of RS-7's within driving distance for $300. The seller also has a RC-7 and said if I purchase both he will sell them for $500! I feel this is a crazy deal and don't think I should pass up the center while I can get it at that price. Eventually I would like to have a pair of RF-7's up front and obviously upgrade my sub to an outlaw , svs, or hsu.

I wanted to get some thoughts on the situation... I know the RC-7 will over power my RB-61ii's upfront. I'm open to suggestions ... I financially cannot spend the money to upgrade the towers at this time.

Someone did inform me that the Outlaw X12 is currently on sale for $550 shipped

Thanks for the input !

Edited by RickyClev34

• Moderators

I agree.  That's a good price for that set. I picked up my son's RF-7's for $400 and they are in almost new condition.  IMO, you figure out what your end goal is going to be and if the right deal comes along, even if you aren't going in order (Mains, then center etc) as mentioned, you can still calibrate the system to have all speakers the same level.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If your receiver has room correction software, it will determine the crossover settings for you.  You could always go with 80Hz as it's a good starting point.  Honestly, I'm not sure if my ears could hear the difference from my LaScalas being set to their current 60Hz or if I bumped them up to 80Hz.  But then again, I do not have a critical ear.

• Like 1

• Moderators

As far as offering advice on speakers or amp....my recommendation would definitely be speakers.  An amp wouldn't really help much with your current speakers and even with larger speakers, an amp does provide some benefits but going from an RC-52 to an RC-7 would a much more significant improvement in overall sound.

• Like 1

I agree.  That's a good price for that set. I picked up my son's RF-7's for $400 and they are in almost new condition.  IMO, you figure out what your end goal is going to be and if the right deal comes along, even if you aren't going in order (Mains, then center etc) as mentioned, you can still calibrate the system to have all speakers the same level.

Ahhh, that elusive end goal. I'm gonna chase that nirvana whilst eating jumbo shrimp. If I ever figure that one out, I'll send you my original copies.  :D

============

For the OP, definitely grab the RC-7, you'll be happy you did. Grab the RS-7's if you can. If you can't... no worries, lots of available options for surrounds later on.

This is why Klipsch Community is my go to! You guys rock, thanks.

I think you have helped me make up my mind and I'll be purchasing the RS's and the RC this weekend form a Craigslist seller as long as something isn't wrong with the speakers when I get there on Saturday. All my furniture and speakers are black and the RS-7s are black but the RC is cherry :( with the grill on it won't be too noticeable. The seller said the speakers will be plugged in for me to demo before purchase. What are some key things to look for to make sure they are in good working order?

Edited by RickyClev34

I know you've made up your mind Ricky, I'm just posting to give you an atta-boy, slap you on the back and say go get 'em!

I am a fan of purchasing the best center speaker you can find, it's the heart of the system, even more than the L/R.  Your AVR room correction will do the magic of matching differing speakers.

The RS7's are clearly better than the F20's, but you won't hear a dramatic difference in the sound like you will with that strong center.

• Like 3

The seller also has a pair of RF-5's and two RSW-12's
I hear the Klipsch subs don't do well under 30hz

Those twin RSW-12's might be worth considering.  If your room is not too large and you have good corners, the RSW-12's will benefit from boundary gain which will help with that extension down much lower than 30Hz.

Go get that RC-7 and RS-7's.

Bill

I'll ask today about the RF-5 and RC price.

The original post was for the RC, RS's , RF-5's and two raw-12 's for 2,000. If I purchase the RS's alone $300. RS's and RC for $500.

I feel I will always be wondering what if with the 5's vs the 7's the being said I have never heard the 5's. Are they more on the level of the RF-82ii's ?

If I did pick up the LRC moving the RB-61ii's to the rear would be a great fit and I would just need to update the sub so have a really great system.

Head spinning lol

• Moderators
I feel I will always be wondering what if with the 5's vs the 7's the being said I have never heard the 5's.

The RF-5's do not have as large of a sound (larger soundstage) than the RF-7's but they sound very nice, just not as "big" sounding. 

Are they more on the level of the RF-82ii's ?

I've never heard them side by side myself.

If I did pick up the LRC moving the RB-61ii's to the rear would be a great fit and I would just need to update the sub so have a really great system.

For sure.  Can't go wrong with that setup.  And down the road, if you feel the need to upgrade, you can always look for a pair of RF-7's to upgrade to.

You're getting good advice here. I had a mismatched HT system for a few years. Initially purchased KLF 30's just for audio and later added a center and surrounds on the cheap. Later on I spotted a CL ad for KLF 10's and a C7 center for about half the normal used price and jumped on it. You never know when a good deal will pop up that allows you to complete a well matched system.

• Like 1

You're getting good advice here. I had a mismatched HT system for a few years. Initially purchased KLF 30's just for audio and later added a center and surrounds on the cheap. Later on I spotted a CL ad for KLF 10's and a C7 center for about half the normal used price and jumped on it. You never know when a good deal will pop up that allows you to complete a well matched system.

+1  Well said.  Bring a good disk and demo the whole system...then make your decision based on what you hear and what you think sounds good.