Horn Loaded (Tuba) Subs....

SWL

Carl,

You are correct, I should not have thread Crapped. Feel free to move it if you will.

BUT... You are wrong in that it is too short of a time for the Human brain to perceive (You really need to listen and hear it in person)and it wouldn't matter if the wave form is in phase, that only is important to the amount of output the sub will make. You will still be hearing a note decaying from the second harmonic that will be time miss matched time wise with the bottom end of the sub that you will not be able to correct for electronically. My guess is the very best we could do is a split in time of the first and second signals. :)

Roger

If we were to build a compression type driver sub like that of the Klipschorn or La Scala that is long enough to reproduce the frequencies down to say 15 Hz and produce a lot of output, then these are the qualities I am looking for!

The Cinema F-20 is a front loaded horn (non tapped if you will) that will reproduce bass down to 22 Hz.  It's not 15 Hz as you've cited wanting but it's pretty darn good.  You could build a 15 Hz FLH but it'd be a big boy for sure.

Not front loaded horn.

1/4 wavelength folded bass horn would be the proper term.

The Table Tuba is actually similar to a tapped horn but the driver is not in the horn path like the others i have seen.

• Like 1

You are correct, I should not have thread Crapped. Feel free to move it if you will.

No problem.  Here's a 16Hz Front loaded horn.  This should be what you're looking for.  See how I steered us back?  LOL

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn-uxl18-stereo-integrity-ht-18-a.html

• Like 1

Not front loaded horn. 1/4 wavelength folded bass horn would be the proper term.  FLH is easier to type and is commonly used to refer to these type horns

The Table Tuba is actually similar to a tapped horn but the driver is not in the horn path like the others i have seen.

To me its more like a FLH (I mean 1/4 wavelength folded bass horn :blink: ) with an open driver chamber.  I've never seen a TH without the driver in the horn path.

Not front loaded horn. 1/4 wavelength folded bass horn would be the proper term.  FLH is easier to type and is commonly used to refer to these type horns

To me its more like a FLH (I mean 1/4 wavelength folded bass horn :blink: ) with an open driver chamber.  I've never seen a TH without the driver in the horn path.

Sorry, front loaded horn sounds so generic, technically yes but so are most if not all of the DIY tapped horns and i figured it could lead to confusion.

You own one Carl i thought, it is a type of tapped horn just a different layout.

That is why the distortion figures are higher than the THT.

Edit: Tapped horns and the Table Tuba are rear loaded horns not front loaded as previously mentioned.

Edited by jason str

You own one Carl i thought, it is a type of tapped horn just a different layout.

That's correct.  I thought that to be considered a tapped horn, the driver HAD to be in the horn path.

Same concept, different layout.

Not sure if BFM considers it a tapped horn or not but feel free to ask on his forum if it matters to anybody.

Here's a definition of a tapped horn from cyclecamper at diyaudio

Tapped horns...well...in accessible terms I'll freely invent and use wrong...the general idea starts with a nearly typical bass horn, where the driver's 'primary" output "works" into a small space with a small opening which acts as an acoustical low-pass filter and defines the beginning of the horn throat. As the horn continues expanding along its path, it folds perhaps once or more times so that approx. the 1/2 wavelength distance along the horn the horrn wall is again adjacent to the driver. At that point the opposite-side "secondary" reverse-phase wave of the driver is now IN-phase with the "primary" output which has been delayed by a half-wavelength. In a conventional bass horn, the output of one side of the driver powers the horn and the opposite side of the driver is absorbed in a closed box. In a tapped horn, useful output is derived from both sides of the driver and added in-phase. Somewhat like the port in a bass-reflex reverses phase of the secondaray back-wave secondary output so that it adds supportively, in a TH the horn distance to the 'tap' reverses the phase of the front-wave primary output so the 'tap' adds supportively. Makes intuitive sense, if you consider the delay and phase-change as the sound travels along the horn. I have not thought about exactly how much extra output you get from the technique, but it's significant.

(back to me)

From what I understand the open driver chamber of a Table Tuba is more like a port in a conventional sub that's not designed specifically to be in phase with the horn output like a tapped horn.  I've never heard BFM refer to this as a derivative of a tapped horn but I haven't spent time on his site in quite a while.