Horn Loaded (Tuba) Subs....

SWL

You are wrong in that it is too short of a time for the Human brain to perceive

Which tapped horn subs have you been listening to Rog?

Carl,

Not listening to any subs yet, subs are theory only at this point.

I have heard as stated with the Klipsch horn though, and like I said, ignorance is bliss. It is just like when we were listening to the Paladiums and thought they sounded good, but in switching immediately to the Klipshorns, you could see what we were missing.

The smearing of sound occurs at the point where the frequencies overlap. The music changes a frequency in that range and for miliseconds the longer, lower frequency horn is arriving at your ears with the end of the last frequency in that over lap while the shorter horn has already arrived at your ear with the new frequency information. The two separate signals arriving at your ears at the samr time causes an audible muddiness for a better lack of a term, and as you know, I have been pondering to do something major in the way of a horn built sub to replace my six 18 inch direct radiators. So in thinking about what I heard with the Klipschorn, it got me to thinking about Roy giving out the time delay numbers between the Jube Bass Bin and the 402, and then I got to thinking about the Gjauler Horn and tapped horns in general at it dawned on me that this type of sub has this exact problem with time differences and emitting two separate signals at the same moment inherently designed into it.

I still want to build something killer in the Horn Sub realm, but it will have to wait on finances. Guy backed out into my daughters car and I need to come up with cash to fly to hope in April, all cash needed to enjoy Hope, and I'm thinking about an extra $1,500 or more is about what I will need to rent a big U-Haul from Hope back to Ohio. If I can swing it, Kevin will be bringing my 20 KP-600 boxes to Hope with the rest of his gear :)

I worked all night last night and I am heading to bed. I am going to run this by Roy when I get up later and get the gospel on it :)

Rog

• Like 1

Got rained out yesterday and today.....the more I listen to these Tuba subs the more I respect them. No disrespect to the direct radiators I've had in the past because I really liked them but in my particular room I can cut off the Tuba so much higher (90-100hz) compared to only 40-50hz with the direct radiators....therefore enhancing more of the bass frequencies.

My particular Tubas...THTLP and the TTLS...don't dig very deep. My ear....and the tones I've run through the Tubas.... is telling me that they don't go much deeper than my 30's (36hz). They only get significant tones down to just under 32hz. However, music is all I listen to this is where they really shine. They don't draw any attention to themselves and integrate so seamlessly into the music. This....in my experience...is where they have the edge. Very, very musical subs. No boom. No rumble. :emotion-21:

Maybe a high pass filter on your amp ?

Sure enough...I went and checked the DIP switches and the low cut filter was on.....so it wasn't going lower than 30hz. Thanks for pointing that out Jason. I forgot ALL about it. :o

• Like 2

Maybe a high pass filter on your amp ?

Sure enough...I went and checked the DIP switches and the low cut filter was on.....so it wasn't going lower than 30hz. Thanks for pointing that out Jason. I forgot ALL about it. :o

Good to hear you found the problem. :)

In case anybody was interested the THT does not need a high pass filter as long as the recommended drivers or similar is used.

Maximum cone excursion happens @ 22Hz (tuning frequency) and the design is thermal limited not X-max limited.

The exception would be if a lower than 10mm X-max driver is used, then you may run into problems but one should know not to go overboard with voltages.

• Like 1

Now that you've fixed the DIP switches. Go back and set the low pass to 35Hz and bump the the amp back up +12 dB. 

You'll crap your pants the first time you feel that shock wave rip across the floor.

LOL.....That's exactly what I was planning on next.

• Like 2

Now that you've fixed the DIP switches. Go back and set the low pass to 35Hz and bump the the amp back up +12 dB. 

You'll crap your pants the first time you feel that shock wave rip across the floor.

Funny, just about shat myself testing max output on my old one and that was with a budget driver.

Sounded dam nice outside though.

• Like 1

In case anybody was interested the THT does not need a high pass filter as long as the recommended drivers or similar is used.

Maximum cone excursion happens @ 22Hz (tuning frequency) and the design is thermal limited not X-max limited.

The exception would be if a lower than 10mm X-max driver is used, then you may run into problems but one should know not to go overboard with voltages.

I've pushed my single THT to crazy limits....uncomfortable limits. Not distortion, just copious amounts of teeth rattling, house vibrating bass.