Newbie - Heresy I identification and history

Zcarman

Hello,

I just picked up my fist pair of Klipsch's...a pair of evidently early Heresy's.   I would like to learn as much as I can about them, eg, date of manufacture, driver details, original grill type, etc.

One of the tweeters is not working, and I suspect the crossover could use a refresh.  Looks like CritesSpeakers is the place to go for repairs and crossovers?

The serial number for one of them is 10M053.  Thanks for any info.

before you change out the crossover clean all the screw terminal connections. That is probably your tweeter issue. Nickle plated parts oxidize over decades and nickle oxide is black and that is what makes nickle look so bright and shiny so clean them all put a little silicon dielectric on the parts and re assemble with all the screws good and tight. Bobs CT125 is a nice drop in tweeter which is superior to the K77 you have smoother much more extended he also has a B&C tweeter that drops in with a new horn I have not heard this but I assume that it is a fine upgrade. If you have a late version Heresy you will have a K53 or some such version (K52 K61 all similar style drivers rather than the K55 which is Alnico) You can upgrade the newer non K55 drivers from stock phenolic to new phenolic from Bob Crites (better diaphragm) or if you like you can jump up to the titanium diaphragm from Bob Crites which is what is used in the new H3. Do you have the K700 (cast metal) mid horn or the plastic resin K701? Attached are pictures of the brace work inside one of my H3 sets and of the high frequency network klipsch use ti compensate for the ti mid diaphragm. I don't feel that this network is necessary but Bob and Klipsch like it. I have installed many sets of ti mid diaphragms without this network I have no issues and I would not include it in retro installs of the ti mid diaphragm but include it here as a reference. My H3 are very heavily modified I would guess more so than any in existence and I run them up on tall four post Skylan Stands to get the centre of the mid horn at seated ear level which improves both stage and image. Each and every driver is is modified and the cabinet is critically damped and almost totally stuffed solid with high density fiberglass. Bass response is very good for a twelve in a sub 2cu.ft. cabinet. If you don't have the K701 I would suggest a change to one. If you want a better sounding speaker in a similar size cabinet take a long hard look at Bob's CS-1T. http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites-cs-1-speaker-project.html I would buy these before I bought a new Heresy 3 or contemplated rebuilding any other Heresy or Heresy 2. Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

post-44375-0-71520000-1446401191_thumb.j

post-44375-0-76680000-1446401227_thumb.j

post-44375-0-18960000-1446401266_thumb.j

• Like 1

They look vey good Moray. As you know I was not thrilled with the Heresey I that I heard but am still interested in listening to a modified or III at some point. On another side note my annual meeting in Ottawa is going to be held in Toronto for some reason this month. I had hoped to meet you as I passed through Calgary. I have been booked on Air North to Ottawa and then on to TO because of time constraints. We are planning on a quick trip to Victoria in January. I will touch base in advance and if your schedule allows we will travel though Cow Town. Would very much enjoy listening to your system.

PS Sadly I failed to win a seat on city council last month - my first run.

I can be contacted on FB. Thom Jarvis.

Edited by YK Thom

They look vey good Moray. As you know I was not thrilled with the Heresey I that I heard but am still interested in listening to a modified or III at some point. On another side note my annual meeting in Ottawa is going to be held in Toronto for some reason this month. I had hoped to meet you as I passed through Calgary. I have been booked on Air North to Ottawa and then on to TO because of time constraints. We are planning on a quick trip to Victoria in January. I will touch base in advance and if your schedule allows we will travel though Cow Town. Would very much enjoy listening to your system.

PS Sadly I failed to win a seat on city council last month - my first run.

I can be contacted on FB. Thom Jarvis.

Excellent news Thom look forward to hearing from you and meeting later for a good long listen bring your favorite cd's with you.