Recommended Blu-Ray player

007nco

Getting frustrated with the XBOX ONE as a blu-ray player.  Only seems to play 50% of the ATMOS discs and 90% of regular blu-rays.  Swapped in the old Sony PS3 which plays everything fine but is just noisy and runs hot mid movie.   Any suggestions on a nice quality unit.  (I did like that the XBOX unit could be set up to turn on everything with one button)

Easy, second generation Oppo 93($$$) and 95($$$$), third generation 103($$$$) and 105($$$$$).  For that matter, the first generation BDP-83($$) is rock solid also.

All are lightening fast loading and built to last.

I can also endorse the Cambridge Audio 751BD($$$$) and 752BD($$$$$).

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

I like the Pioneer Elite player because it will syn with a special feature to reduce noise and great PQ.  The downside of the one I had was that it was slow loading movies and only had few features like Pandora, You Tube and a couple more.  For the money, I could have  better spent my money on another BDP.  I like my Samsung BD 7500 much better.  Sony makes some good BDP's.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Easy, second generation Oppo 93($$$) and 95($$$$), third generation 103($$$$) and 105($$$$$).  For that matter, the first generation BDP-83($$) is rock solid also.

All are lightening fast loading and built to last.

I can also endorse the Cambridge Audio 751BD($$$$) and 752BD($$$$$).

Bill

Thanks Bill.  Looking at the Cambridge 752 vs. the Oppo 105.  Looks like the Cambridge misses Netflix but most reviews I can find online say it may be slightly better SQ than the Oppo.     I could always leave one of the game systems to do the Netflix but not sure that the upscaling will do the job as cleanly as built in.

Thanks Bill.  Looking at the Cambridge 752 vs. the Oppo 105.  Looks like the Cambridge misses Netflix but most reviews I can find online say it may be slightly better SQ than the Oppo.     I could always leave one of the game systems to do the Netflix but not sure that the upscaling will do the job as cleanly as built in.

How well does your Onkyo upscale video.  It looks to have a pretty powerful upscaler with the Mavell QDEO chip.

Bill

• Like 1

The Oppo's are rock solid players. The 105 has every connection imaginable but if your going all HDMI, the 103 would save a lot of cash. I see in your signature 4K TV TBD so that's something to consider as the mfg's will be introducing the newer models in the coming months.

Here the link that summarizes the difference between the 103 and 105.

https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=37&ProdID=BDP-105

oh, something new here too I just saw....no streaming on this one

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/

• Like 1

The Oppo's are rock solid players. The 105 has every connection imaginable but if your going all HDMI, the 103 would save a lot of cash. I see in your signature 4K TV TBD so that's something to consider as the mfg's will be introducing the newer models in the coming months.

Here the link that summarizes the difference between the 103 and 105.

https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=37&ProdID=BDP-105

oh, something new here too I just saw....no streaming on this one

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/

Great info to know, thanks!  Now "to Darbee or not Darbee, that is the question"  lol, bad I know.

The 105 has been replaced with the 105D  (Darbee) so you'd have to go used on a 105. I've never had Darbee but have read a lot that it's not really beneficial unless you have a large projection screen or 70" plus tv. But hey for 100 bux extra it's good future proofing.

• Like 1

It looks like the justification for the 105D would be a very high end analog system or headphone amplification. As I plan to be full HDMI I think the 103D probably does the trick. Still looking at the Cambridge 752... Great feedback, duly appreciated.

Hate to say it but this may be a real bad time to buy a high end player. Rumor has it that the 4K players will be here by Christmas, and it's already November. No way would I buy a $1,300+ one right now, I'd be getting a cheaper one for now. You're going to kick yourself if you spend that much then a month later the 4K's come out.

There's a thread I just bumped up about the Marantz 5007, detailed the pros and cons as compared to a PS4 which I got away from for the same reasons you mentioned.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 3